Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help recommend a DSLR

Default Re: Help recommend a DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by peppercrab1
    I saw the D70 pix from my friend and sad to say, I was not wow by the saturation and colors.
    It could be that the camera tried hard to record the image faithfully. Point&shoot cameras frequently appear to be optimized to generate "snappy", i.e. contrasty and colourful pictures with enhanced edges that make you go "wow" at the first look. The downside is that at the second look, there can be a lot of artefacts caused by the aggressive in-camera image processing, and there is very little headroom for further processing.

If you want the "snappy" look, you can still get it with postprocessing on the computer. This can be pretty much automated using batch processing, plus you get to keep good "raw material" if you decide a picture is really worth the effort to polish it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Do you really need a DSLR?
    question ... seems like colour is yr main concern only am i right ? some prosumer or even consumer PnS process better colours

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    This kind of questions have been discussed tons and tons of times.

1) Have a budget in mind
    2) Go down to reputable shops and test out the cameras yourself.
    3) Decide which is more suited to you. (ie more comfortable, ease of use, etc)
    4) Buy that and start shooting.

Don't let others influence your choice. There is no way you can avoid PS for DSLRs. All DSLRs will require PS-ing, only to different extents.
    I disagree at this point, cos most of my shots are not PS at all, is when at a point of I wanted to post them to the web I normally Watermarked them and simply resize them.

Pro I am not.

Do you really need a DSLR?
    Come to think of it, I dont really need a DSLR. It's just that I wanna venture into the DSLR world to understand more about photography. Yes, it may eventually end up as an expensive P&S cam if I set it to Auto.

Then again, it may not happen.
    What I would like to understand is why photographers would spend thousands of $$$ on bodies and lenses followed by hrs on PSing. Shouldnt it be the other way round that the more hi-end you go, the less you need to PS? I always thought that more expensive hardware will give better reproduction and closer to life images. It seems that that is not the case as people still have to do PS just to achieve it.

I'm not saying that one should not PS.
    PSing is good BUT it should only be used as a tool to generate/create effects, touch-ups(remove marks & blemishes etc) and nothing else. I see PS as a cosmetic surgery. Not everyone has to have cosmetic surgery.
    It should not be used to make the image look more 'real', realistic skintones,sharpening etc..... Your lenses should do just that isnt it? After all, you spend the moolah just to capture true-to-life colors, sharpness, dynamics etc.....So, why are you still using PS just to do all these?

Again, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm asking lots of silly naive questions as this is what I find confusing.
    I have the $$$$ to spend and I dont have to eat grass BUT I need to be convinced first........
    Apologies, if others may misinterpret my last statement as a boast.

I really dont understand (perhaps the kind folks here can shed some light) why would anyone spend say, a 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens, 17-35mm, 17-55mm (am using Nikon just as an example) and yet still have to do the above PSing. Effects, I can understand.

Prints directly from films without adjustments don't do that well either. Goto your neighbourhood developing shop, ask them what type of "correction" will they do when u pass them a roll of film.

Tools that cost millions in the past are now available at a fraction of the cost to photographers. In the past, the real passionate photographers have a darkroom in their house. Now, they have it on their desktop.

Since you don't understand why people will want a 2.8 VR lens, I'm very sure you've ...

GTG, late for a talk, come back then I type more...

Deregistered

Questions:
    1. What are your main photgraphic area of interest?
    2. How serious will you be in this hobby?
    3. Do you forsee yourself keeping this hobby up for the next, say, 10 years?

This will help others to determined the kind of good advise your are after.
    My advise don't rush to buy unless you have too much cash to spare. LOL

Private Message me if you want more advise, we get get together for kopi and talk more.
    Last edited by tommon; 15th August 2005 at 09:17 AM.

You can also consider a 2nd hand EOS 300D ...

I really dont understand (perhaps the kind folks here can shed some light) why would anyone spend say, a 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens, 17-35mm, 17-55mm (am using Nikon just as an example) and yet still have to do the above PSing.
    if you don't understand why, u prob don't need it.

after getting that first piece of glass will u know why u need certain lens for certain pics, after facing some limitations....that is why photography is a capital intensive hobby.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by tommon
    Questions:
    1. What are your main photgraphic area of interest?
    2. How serious will you be in this hobby?

3. Do you forsee yourself keeping this hobby up for the next, say, 10 years?
    This will help others to determined the kind of good advise your are after.
    My advise don't rush to buy unless you have too much cash to spare. LOL
    1. landscape, protraits and dabbling in sports. Macro, birds not for me.
    2. If I'm willing to invest, I'm serious. Like what you have said, I have spare $$$$ but mommy & daddy taught me to be careful with my investments...
    3. Yep. Next 5 years. 10 years? I will decide on my 5th year.

No. I'm not rushing.....that's why I'm asking fundamental questions so that I can be convinced myself.
    If others are irritated by my silly probing, I'm sorry.
    It's my $$$$ and I have every right to ask. I do not want to spend and regret later.
    One day, someone will ask me the same questions and I want to answer him convincingly.

Prints directly from films without adjustments don't do that well either. Goto your neighbourhood developing shop, ask them what type of "correction" will they do when u pass them a roll of film.

Tools that cost millions in the past are now available at a fraction of the cost to photographers. In the past, the real passionate photographers have a darkroom in their house. Now, they have it on their desktop.

Since you don't understand why people will want a 2.8 VR lens, I'm very sure you've ...

GTG, late for a talk, come back then I type more...

you have a point there....hope to hear fro you soon.

I really dont understand (perhaps the kind folks here can shed some light) why would anyone spend say, a 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens, 17-35mm, 17-55mm (am using Nikon just as an example) and yet still have to do the above PSing. Effects, I can understand.
    If your main concern is about getting good colors from the cam straight, then an AF-S 17-35/2.8 with an cheap nikon SLR loaded with Provia/Velvia will be better (and cheaper) solution for u.

Most of the DSLRs in the market will need some form of PSing.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

What I would like to understand is why photographers would spend thousands of $$$ on bodies and lenses followed by hrs on PSing. Shouldnt it be the other way round that the more hi-end you go, the less you need to PS? I always thought that more expensive hardware will give better reproduction and closer to life images. It seems that that is not the case as people still have to do PS just to achieve it.
    please refer to the below diagram

As you can see, consumer cameras are made for the home user and begineers. These group of people are less likely to do editing and therefore, the camera does much in-camera processing. This allows them to directly print out photos from the camera.

For high end bodies, the camera does as little in-camera processing as possible. This is to allow the photographer to maintain control over what needs to be edited. The emphasis is on "Raw" material. The lesser the camera processes, the more "raw" your data is, retaining more data for the photographer to work on.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Zod, I really appreciate your inputs. Your post helps clear up my doubts. Amazing what 1 illustration can do ....it really speaks a thousand words.
    Thanks!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by zod

As you can see, consumer cameras are made for the home user and begineers. These group of people are less likely to do editing and therefore, the camera does much in-camera processing. This allows them to directly print out photos from the camera.

For high end bodies, the camera does as little in-camera processing as possible. This is to allow the photographer to maintain control over what needs to be edited. The emphasis is on "Raw" material. The lesser the camera processes, the more "raw" your data is, retaining more data for the photographer to work on.

Well said.

How about renting a DSLR to tryout and see whether you like it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by kenele
    How about renting a DSLR to tryout and see whether you like it or not?
    You mean there are people renting out DSLRs ? Where?

You mean there are people renting out DSLRs ? Where?
    here's a link
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145635

you might want to do a search in the consumers corner. quite a number of people renting out dslr

Quote Originally Posted by zod

Excellent chart and explaination

Out of curiosity which pns camera did u own previously?
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow
    Out of curiosity which pns camera did u own previously?
    all along my p&s cams have been fuji......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast