Thread: Dust in CCD

Default Dust in CCD

Hi
    I am considering cleaning the CCD in my D70.
    Can anybody provide any advice?
    Is the sensor swab that Cathay Photo any good?

Default Re: Dust in CCD

yes i bought the swab cost around $105 from Cathay and it does a good cleaning. Worth getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincere
    yes i bought the swab cost around $105 from Cathay and it does a good cleaning. Worth getting it.
    yup... buy the tools and learn to clean yourself or pay Nikon and be forever dependant on them.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    yup... buy the tools and learn to clean yourself or pay Nikon and be forever dependant on them.

Any pictures or link to this particular product that Cathay is selling? I just want to see what special about it.

I clean my own CCD and I use basic camera wet tissue which I cut to shape them into a thin brush which I will brush the CCD wet with it and then I will use a arrow tip cotton bud and slowly and lightly clean it over the CCD till all the stain and wet stain are gone. initially alot of grime covered the CCD..so I just recoat it with the wet tissue again and then use a clean arrow tip cotton bud again to rub around it till the CCD is shiny and clear. Nothing special and it got clean and doing some photo shot to test the result and it is fine with no more dust particles.

Just want to see if maybe it is the same wet tissue stuff that they are using. $100 plus is pretty steep if it is nothign more then the same stuff I am doing which is next to nothing to pay. I would not recommend it though...I was willing to take the risk and thus far...it is 3 for 3 times so far and all is well.

Hi
    I am considering cleaning the CCD in my D70.
    Can anybody provide any advice?
    Is the sensor swab that Cathay Photo any good?
    This is what i did ...
    1.) paid 15 buck for the lint-free tissue.
    2.) paid 18 bucks for the methanol.....
    3.) take out a expired credit card and cut, close the the actual size of the CCD.
    4.) cut the lint-free tissue and cover the cutted credit card end and stick with sealer tap.
    5.) lock the shutter and clean it up.....
    6.) change the tissue after you swap it. Don'T reuse the tissue.... it cost u 0.15 cents each......

7.) Done.... i'm happy with it.... i mean the CCD.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Any pictures or link to this particular product that Cathay is selling? I just want to see what special about it.

I clean my own CCD and I use basic camera wet tissue which I cut to shape them into a thin brush which I will brush the CCD wet with it and then I will use a arrow tip cotton bud and slowly and lightly clean it over the CCD till all the stain and wet stain are gone. initially alot of grime covered the CCD..so I just recoat it with the wet tissue again and then use a clean arrow tip cotton bud again to rub around it till the CCD is shiny and clear. Nothing special and it got clean and doing some photo shot to test the result and it is fine with no more dust particles.

Just want to see if maybe it is the same wet tissue stuff that they are using. $100 plus is pretty steep if it is nothign more then the same stuff I am doing which is next to nothing to pay. I would not recommend it though...I was willing to take the risk and thus far...it is 3 for 3 times so far and all is well.
    Hi sammy.... you can go to www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com to get more info... I think cathay sells some of the stuff mentioned/shown in that webpage.