Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    No offend...

    Wedding day photography is not a cup of tea for anyone, also not just a piece of cake.

    I have seen many people shooting with big big & nice nice cameras, end up with no photos to deliver.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I would put it this way, if you don't know what needs to be done, the biggest favour is to ask her to find somebody else You can be a backup.
    I can do it jus want to be safe with the setting. As you know, sometimes things can go wrong somehow so got to get things right than regret later.

    The thing i not wanting to find someone is i want the chance and if i dont do it, the next time i will not do it also. I will do what i feel is comfortable!

  3. #23
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    So you are the main photographer for you friend's wedding..


    Care to tell us how many complete wedding events have you cover before, including tap along, as backup, and is they any secondary photographer for this wedding?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    I done 3 tap along but not main at the moment! They insist i do for her as we are close friend and quite like my work. However, the first 3 tap along are all w/o flash and polariser. the dinner are only shoot by main photographers. Actually jus pop out of my mind why photographer dont use polarsier. Hmm, guess we better keep it simple and dont play around during such a big event for my friend. What you guys think?

  5. #25

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I can do it jus want to be safe with the setting.
    Slightly OT, but relevant.

    I find this rather fascinating. In the past, such reliance on "settings" seem not to be an issue (except perhaps for lighting/studio with strobes).

    Photographers then try to understand what is required and learn to read light and how light modifies subjects, then chose the apertures and shutter speeds and there they go! When they use a tool like a polariser, they undeerstand what the polariser does, and use it appropriately. No settings.

    Perhaps it is just words, but my impression is that today, with more technology, people seem to rely on formulaes ("settings"), as if with the "correct settings" things will be "safe" and turn out alright.

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I done 3 tap along but not main at the moment! They insist i do for her as we are close friend and quite like my work. However, the first 3 tap along are all w/o flash and polariser. the dinner are only shoot by main photographers. Actually jus pop out of my mind why photographer dont use polarsier. Hmm, guess we better keep it simple and dont play around during such a big event for my friend. What you guys think?

    What do I think?

    Very bold lor,

    If you friend is fine with this..
    What do I think really matter meh?
    What else can I say.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I am currently using a 20D and not sure what is a wedding setting as my camera do not have it. Can i download it and put it into my camera?
    Are you sure the 20D doesn't have the W(edding) function?
    I'm sure it has cos I've been using it for quite some time previously.





    On the serious note. There are no 'safe' settings in outdoor photography. You can practice for weeks with the "recommended exposure settings" (f/x.x at 1/xxxS using ISOxxx) on endless sunny hot afternoons. What happens if there is heavy over cast or it starts raining (touchwood) you cannot just say the lighting was lousy that's why the pics were lousy.

    Excuses are just not acceptable for somebody's big day. Imagine your photographer telling you: "Oh today is not as cloudy as my other shoots, so the pictures were overexposed. But at least can see the face. Not bad right? ".

    A polariser can reduce glare and some hotspots off the leaves of the greenery and thus produce "vivid colours" (to some extend). But if the greenery is mostly in the background, it just isn't going to help much (pop up the green saturation in PS is better). Also, the sky won't be any much bluer than it already is becos of sg's location on the globe (you'll need a good=expensive PL to get some effect). It is also mostly cloudy on most days recently (and any part of the year).

    Good luck! Hope to see your shots soon.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #28

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Are you sure the 20D doesn't have the W(edding) function?
    I'm sure it has cos I've been using it for quite some time previously.

    Haha.. like that... my D70 also has one too!


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    However, the first 3 tap along are all w/o flash and polariser. the dinner are only shoot by main photographers.

    Hmm, guess we better keep it simple and dont play around during such a big event for my friend. What you guys think?
    Seems like your friend like your work (those w/o flash and polariser). So use your strengh and produce what she like

    And I agree with you don't play around when it's comes to close friend wedding. You might more than a friend.

    Happy shooting and post some shots here for us to see.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Seems like your friend like your work (those w/o flash and polariser). So use your strengh and produce what she like

    And I agree with you don't play around when it's comes to close friend wedding. You might more than a friend.

    Happy shooting and post some shots here for us to see.
    Thanks snowcrash for your comments! Thanks for the encouragement and hope to show you guys in 3 weeks time. Polariser is not my type yet since it give inconsistency due to flare and adjustments. Better be wise to keep it simple.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Are you sure the 20D doesn't have the W(edding) function?
    I'm sure it has cos I've been using it for quite some time previously.





    On the serious note. There are no 'safe' settings in outdoor photography. You can practice for weeks with the "recommended exposure settings" (f/x.x at 1/xxxS using ISOxxx) on endless sunny hot afternoons. What happens if there is heavy over cast or it starts raining (touchwood) you cannot just say the lighting was lousy that's why the pics were lousy.

    Excuses are just not acceptable for somebody's big day. Imagine your photographer telling you: "Oh today is not as cloudy as my other shoots, so the pictures were overexposed. But at least can see the face. Not bad right? ".

    A polariser can reduce glare and some hotspots off the leaves of the greenery and thus produce "vivid colours" (to some extend). But if the greenery is mostly in the background, it just isn't going to help much (pop up the green saturation in PS is better). Also, the sky won't be any much bluer than it already is becos of sg's location on the globe (you'll need a good=expensive PL to get some effect). It is also mostly cloudy on most days recently (and any part of the year).

    Good luck! Hope to see your shots soon.

    That is wedding mode? Isnt it Manual mode?

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    What do I think?

    Very bold lor,

    If you friend is fine with this..
    What do I think really matter meh?
    What else can I say.
    I think you got the wrong message from me. What i means is "Do you guys think we keep it simple and not using a polariser". I think you taking it too seriuos on my word. I jus want to take one step up and doing the right thing. Jus need some advice for you guys who are expert here. Will show you guys and please comments on my work at that time.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,291

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Perhaps it is just words, but my impression is that today, with more technology, people seem to rely on formulaes ("settings"), as if with the "correct settings" things will be "safe" and turn out alright.
    i guess pple dont learn photography from the basic like what last time pple do?

    There are a lot more theories behind which need to be understood before applying

    but now with instant feedback thanks to digital, most pple just learn from trail and error without understanding how each parameter settings will affect the final image.

    To the threadstarter:
    since this is the first time u shoot as main, why not concentrate in other areas such as composition, timing and learn how to communicate with guests to keep the situation under your control?? probably wait till next time when u are more familiar with the basic, then try to play with special effect or other creative stuff that u want to try out.

    remember, u still need to deliver decent pic in the end, so it will be better if u learn how to walk, before you want to fly
    Last edited by Wai; 18th August 2005 at 02:30 AM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i guess pple dont learn photography from the basic like what last time pple do?

    There are a lot more theories behind which need to be understood before applying

    but now with instant feedback thanks to digital, most pple just learn from trail and error without understanding how each parameter settings will affect the final image.

    To the threadstarter:
    since this is the first time u shoot as main, why not concentrate in other areas such as composition, timing and learn how to communicate with guests to keep the situation under your control?? probably wait till next time when u are more familiar with the basic, then try to play with special effect or other creative stuff that u want to try out.

    remember, u still need to deliver decent pic in the end, so it will be better if u learn how to walk, before you want to fly
    Hi Wai! You are right man! I will take like what i take before and try not to play too much with effect. I agree composition is very important and capturing the moment is my piority. I guess i will learn from trail and error. Cheers!

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Hi Wai! You are right man! I will take like what i take before and try not to play too much with effect. I agree composition is very important and capturing the moment is my piority. I guess i will learn from trail and error. Cheers!
    and also 'shoot more, show less' since that's no 'take 2'.

  16. #36
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,925

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i guess pple dont learn photography from the basic like what last time pple do?

    There are a lot more theories behind which need to be understood before applying

    but now with instant feedback thanks to digital, most pple just learn from trail and error without understanding how each parameter settings will affect the final image.
    I'll second that! Nobody's interested in knowing why, they just want to know how.

    Same goes for "which glass you use for x, x, x, x".



    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    To the threadstarter:
    since this is the first time u shoot as main, why not concentrate in other areas such as composition, timing and learn how to communicate with guests to keep the situation under your control?? probably wait till next time when u are more familiar with the basic, then try to play with special effect or other creative stuff that u want to try out.

    remember, u still need to deliver decent pic in the end, so it will be better if u learn how to walk, before you want to fly
    A lot of these have been share and advised in a lot of other threads, check it out...

  17. #37

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    I am the main as i am doing a favourite for my friend. Very close friend and do not want to spoilt her day and wanting to take good photo! If i really want good colour for my photo, what are the method to be done? I am currently using a 20D and not sure what is a wedding setting as my camera do not have it. Can i download it and put it into my camera?
    Hi Oracle,

    The 20D is a very capable camera. My friend (who shoots for a living) bought the 20D over a competitor's model because he was bowled over by the punchy colours of the 20D. I trust that's a consolation to you. Just shoot as many pics as you can for your friend and worry LEAST abt polarisers and stuff.

    If I'm correct a polariser loses abt 1-stop of light, so if you were to slap that polariser on, you might find you may hv to strain your eyes as the viewfinder is dark, no thanks to the polariser.

    Hope this helps. Enjoy the shoot!

    hewland

  18. #38
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,820

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    ....................
    If I'm correct a polariser loses abt 1-stop of light, so if you were to slap that polariser on, you might find you may hv to strain your eyes as the viewfinder is dark, no thanks to the polariser.

    ...............

    hewland
    Is cut down 1˝ to 2 stops...

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    That is wedding mode? Isnt it Manual mode?
    that pic is just a joke to lighten the atomshpere in here.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,291

    Default Re: Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    A lot of these have been share and advised in a lot of other threads, check it out...
    A lot of pple dont search before they ask for advise too

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •