Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Pentax

Default Re: My 1st Pentax

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    First Pentax: Optio 430RS. Truly dreadful - I think it was made by Casio, who had an identical camera with a different model name.

Attachment 5290

First film SLR: Canon AE-1

First Pentax DSLR: *istD (stupid name that nobody knew how to pronounce)

First camera ever (which shows how old I am): Kodak Brownie 127 just like this one:

In a way I envy how you have been able to see a whole span of the evolution of photography from early brownie to dslr.

I feel that learning curve was harder then due to the cost of film/development (shoot more, pay more), harder to reference to shooting settings unless one wrote it down and no chimping
    More emphasis on getting the shot that 'bokeh', shallow DOF and all that (mostly reserved for pros who could afford to burn film)

In the past, I was usually concerned with exposure being enough and shutter speed being generally hand holdable with whatever film I had in the camera (usually ISO100; ISO200)
    Nowadays, there's DRI, highlight/shadow recovery in PP; etc.

Certainly very different now.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 30th October 2014 at 01:12 PM.

I am the odd one.
    I actually like the *istD name and Pentax gave a good marketing reasoning to the name and I still recall it.

* = any word
    ist = ist
    D = digital

Usually *ist is a person who will bring/do things to the limits, to its extremes and be dedicated/obsessed with whatever he/she is doing.
    Like the words "Extremist"; "Artist"; "Perfectionist"
    So the *ist digital is the tool to bring out the best in the photographer.

I actually saw the *istD on sale (not yet in SGP) in the old Pentax Forums in Tokyo.
    It was early days of digital SLRs and really pricey.
    I can't remember the price, but certainly I stepped back when I saw the price listed on it there.
    Too much $ for a lowly paid proletariat, so I passed on moving to DSLRs for the next 3-4yrs.

I did move to digital though with a Pentax Optio GS330.
    Again, I compared spec and it was very good for the money (faster lens than most stuff at its price point)
    Cost me about $799 IIRC (not cheap at all in those days)

Super Takumar 100/2 samples by jenkwang, on Flickr

It still works.
    Lots of good memories and 4R prints with it (and it was just a 3mp camera).

I will share some picts when I get to it on my other PC.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 30th October 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I am the odd one.
    I actually like the *istD name and Pentax gave a good marketing reasoning to the name and I still recall it.

* = any word
    ist = ist
    D = digital

Usually *ist is a person who will bring/do things to the limits, to its extremes and be dedicated/obsessed with whatever he/she is doing.

I actually saw the *istD on sale (not yet in SGP) in the old Pentax Forums in Tokyo.
    I can't remember the price, but certainly I stepped back when I saw the price listed on it there.
    Too much $ for a lowly paid proletariat, so I passed on moving to DSLRs for the next 3-4yrs.

Again, I compared spec and it was very good for the money (faster lens than most stuff at its price point)
    Yes, but how would you have said *istD if you had gone into a shop to buy one? 'That digital SLR that Pentax have just brought out', probably!

The Optio 430RS was almost S$1100 when I bought it at Changi Airport well over ten years ago. The 330 had much better reviews, as I found out later. The *istD was pushing S$3000 when it first came out here - that was with the (not very good) FAJ 18-35 kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I am the odd one.

* = any word
    ist = ist
    D = digital

Super Takumar 100/2 samples by jenkwang, on Flickr

It still works.
    Lots of good memories and 4R prints with it (and it was just a 3mp camera).

I will share some picts when I get to it on my other PC.

My 1st DSLR was the *istDL, I bought it in June 2006 for $999, came with 18-55mm Kit. I was a good deal at that time. Then name *istDL does sound strange but this 6.1Mp Camera took very good shots. Begining of my Digital Learning Curve. I still have it, hand over to my wife.

WOW! Nice shot, this is a Fantastic Lens, Image is Sharp, Colour is so rich & I Love the Bokeh.

Quote Originally Posted by timo View Post
    Yes, but how would you have said *istD if you had gone into a shop to buy one? 'That digital SLR that Pentax have just brought out', probably!

The Optio 430RS was almost S$1100 when I bought it at Changi Airport well over ten years ago. The 330 had much better reviews, as I found out later. The *istD was pushing S$3000 when it first came out here - that was with the (not very good) FAJ 18-35 kit lens.

AFAIK
    Its pronounced "ist" "D"
    Or "ist" "digital"
    But yeah... they would have needed some explanation for anyone to know and still a bit weird asking " I'd like to look at the "ist" " when purchasing in a shop

I do think *istD was in the ballpark of $3K, $3K+ at that time.
    Man! that was quite some time ago.

As for the Optio 330, I just compared specs at Best in Taka, it was not as easy getting info like now with just a google search on any conceivable model.
    So much poison nowadays on camera stuff with forums (way better now), access to google searches and ebay

Quote Originally Posted by ALFRED SAMUEL View Post
    My 1st DSLR was the *istDL, I bought it in June 2006 for $999, came with 18-55mm Kit. I was a good deal at that time. Then name *istDL does sound strange but this 6.1Mp Camera took very good shots. Begining of my Digital Learning Curve. I still have it, hand over to my wife.

WOW! Nice shot, this is a Fantastic Lens, Image is Sharp, Colour is so rich & I Love the Bokeh.
    Thanks, its a very nice lens.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 30th October 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories.
    This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views.

In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL.
    It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him.

Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K
    Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver.

Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR.

If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....
    Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories. This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views. In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL. It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him. Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver. Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR. If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....
    Where to convert to IR ar. Thinking of buying a k10D and converting it to IR.

My 1st foray into the digital world was with a Canon S2 IS in 2003, but I hated the output as it was not as nice as film and at ISO1600 ws super grainy. Then in 2007, I bought my 1st DSLR the K10D from an old friend. After 1.5 years in 2009, I moved to the K20D and another 1.5 years, in 2011, to the K7.

In 2012, 1 year later, decided to go for the K5 as I needed better AF for shooting school events. In 2013, got the K30 and now 2014, the K3 Silver. This would likely be my last body until it dies on me. I am going to invest in lenses instead.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    My 1st foray into the digital world was with a Canon S2 IS in 2003, but I hated the output as it was not as nice as film and at ISO1600 ws super grainy. Then in 2007, I bought my 1st DSLR the K10D from an old friend. After 1.5 years in 2009, I moved to the K20D and another 1.5 years, in 2011, to the K7.

In 2012, 1 year later, decided to go for the K5 as I needed better AF for shooting school events. In 2013, got the K30 and now 2014, the K3 Silver. This would likely be my last body until it dies on me. I am going to invest in lenses instead.

I need to confer the award, PENTAXIAN FOR LIFE CUM SUPER PENTAXIAN DIGITAL for owning the most pentax digital camera over the years,

otc

Quote Originally Posted by otc View Post

I need to confer the award, PENTAXIAN FOR LIFE CUM SUPER PENTAXIAN DIGITAL for owning the most pentax digital camera over the years,

otc
    Hahaha....clap clap

otc

Not me, but FW and some others. kekeke . . .
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 31st October 2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life

Quote Originally Posted by jaiyen View Post
    Hahaha....clap clap
    JOE, Your lens collection also unique. Your recent leica 90 mm macro converted, A50f1.2 n A85 f1.4 and and and..

Those are exotic series.

what else is not reveal?

otc

Quote Originally Posted by pentriot View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories.
    This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views.

In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL.
    It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him.

Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K
    Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver.

Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR.

If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....
    Buddy! What is the meaning of IR?
    I have an *istDL
    Im interested to know > Thank you

JOE, Your lens collection also unique. Your recent leica 90 mm macro converted, A50f1.2 n A85 f1.4 and and and..

Those are exotic series.

what else is not reveal?

otc
    Correction...is leica 60mm macro . Not much liao to reveal lolxx...not a collector so keep those i really like and always use....my next wish is 645Z/D if FF not coming....lolxx. Thx man...hope to meet up u all more often...

Quote Originally Posted by ALFRED SAMUEL View Post

Buddy! What is the meaning of IR?
    I have an *istDL
    Im interested to know > Thank you
    I guess is IR = infrared photography

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    I am going to invest in lenses instead.
    Cher...more lens dont make u a happy photographer. Invest in xmm shoot. Wink wink...

My 1st Pentax is a Spotmatic II during 1973 to 78Name:  CA021.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  62.3 KB
    This pic taken in 1973 with a 85mm portrait lens borrowed from a friend. Exposed with Kodachrome 64 & scanned with Epson V600 scanner.
    My 2nd Pentax is a pair of ME Super bought in 1984 & one is still with me but not used for 20 years
    Last edited by Tonistein; 1st November 2014 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaiyen View Post
    I guess is IR = infrared photography
    That is correct.

Some IR pictures for sharing.

Garden By the Bay.

Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post
    Where to convert to IR ar. Thinking of buying a k10D and converting it to IR.
    You can check the forum under IR/UV Photography.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
    Pentax for Life

Quote Originally Posted by poseur View Post
    Cher...more lens dont make u a happy photographer. Invest in xmm shoot. Wink wink...
    No enough $$$ kekeke
    Pentaxian for Life

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast