Thread: FlashQ: The tiny flash trigger

Default FlashQ: The tiny flash trigger

Having a flash on camera is great, but having the flash off camera is better. Wireless makes things simple, but most brands out there are big and cumbersome, especially on that small mirrorless camera you've got hanging from you neck. Wouldn't it be great if there was a solution that is barely there? Enter the FlashQ. a tiny wireless transmitter-receiver solution for off camera flash on the streets.

The FlashQ will come in 4 colors, Midnight Black, Snow White, Macaron Pink and Knight Blue, but they all essentially do the same thing, trigger your flash. What is included in the box is a USB cable to sync connector, the trigger and receiver and a sheet of paper with the instructions needed to operate this simple trigger.

How small is this? Using a 50 cent coin as a reference and compared to my own flash trigger, the result is in the picture. The amount of space one of my transceiver takes can hold both the trigger and receiver.

The battery type is a coin type, a CR2032 to be specific. Used in both the transmitter and receiver. The standby time in specifications is said to last 6 months and the number of flashes that can be triggered is said to be more than 100,000 times.

On the side of the transmitter and the receiver, there is a USB port to plug in the included USB to sync connector cable. In the picture below, it is show to attach to an SB800 via the sync connector though it has a hotshoe, but it's to be used with cameras without a hotshoe or if your hotshoe connector is damaged, it's good to know there's an alternative

I've tried connecting the cable to the trigger and connecting it to my light meter to get wireless trigger upon metering, it doesn't work and according to instructions, it doesn't do anything at the moment.

According to specifications, there are 160 radio channels utilizing a 2.4GHz low-power digital radio (There could have been a typo in the specs, 160 channels is a lot!). The only form of knowing the operational status is via the LED indication light which shows green, red and blue. It is also worth nothing that the operating range is 10M, though through a short trial, it is reliable within a 4-5 meter radius.

It may seem disappointing, but considering the size of the unit and the battery that's used, it's ok. Also, one of the intended use is for handheld flash photography on the streets though you could probably use it in a studio situation, but I don't see anyone going beyond a 5 meter radius. From the video, the target market would most likely be street photographers, so it's unlikely one would need a huge operating range.
    Last edited by spidey89; 30th October 2014 at 09:33 AM.
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Default Re: FlashQ: The tiny flash trigger

The design of the pin indicates that there is no form of TTL transmission, meaning this will require the flash to work on auto mode(utilizing a sensor on the flash) or purely in manual mode

One thing I really like is a 1/4 screw thread at the bottom of the receiver which gives the option of either using a cold shoe or on a tripod or anything with a 1/4" screw. My wireless trigger only has a hotshoe (which is expected since it's a transceiver) while options such at TTL cords only have a 1/4" screw thread.

In the picture below, with the transmitter fixed into the receiver which is fitted onto a camera, you can see how small the the duo actually is. One thing that bugged me was the power button and the test button are not standardize, which means I have to pay attention to which button I'm pressing. Not easy when the whole thing is black and the symbols are tiny.

One trick I've learnt for people with big fingers (like me) is to see the indicator light is to turn the transmitter upside down and turn it on with the left hand and turn the receiver on with the right hand. That way, the indicator light is not obstructed by your fingers. One improvement would probably be to color the symbols so that it's easier to see which is which.

The setup I'm using for shooting is the Olympus E-P5 and the Olympus FL-36R, both of which are reasonably small. The small flash has limits of not being powerful enough in bright sunlight when attempting to control the ambient light. It's so small that I don't really pay much attention to it.

Which leads to another improvement that can be done. There's no lock on the transmitter, meaning a sufficient enough force at the right angle could cause the transmitter to slide out without knowledge and potentially dropping off the camera hotshoe. It would be nice to have some sort of lock integrated into the transmitter

I'm still waiting for mine.

Thanks for the review!

Super small man, looks good for a travel/compact setup.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Thanks for the review!

Super small man, looks good for a travel/compact setup.
    It is, took it around just now, I didn't even realize it was on most of the time. Problem is the flash power, if everything want small, flash also small, power also small hahahah, but that's cause we're half year super sunny, half year rainy, raining is fine, sunny becomes difficult to overpower.

Been using it, having a flash with me all the time with the ability to shoot off camera makes it really fun and brings a whole new perspective how I see

still waiting for mine to come in