Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Undercutting & Underpaying: is the short term gain worth the long term loss?

Default Re: Undercutting & Underpaying: is the short term gain worth the long term loss?

Well have a look at one example.....

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145793

Post no.4

Default Re: Undercutting & Underpaying: is the short term gain worth the long term loss?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth76
    Its inevitable, the price cutting and stuff.. But look at the IT industry which has suffered big time from the price competition. All IT people are working like slaves while people who benifit for ITs services still earn big bucks. After some time in this industry you can not help but feel short changed. Name me one company whos says it ok their IT system fails for a day. Lets say not even the system, just the email service outage for 1/2 hour everybody curses and swears but who borthers paying the joker behind slaving like a dog to keep everything working nicely with 24/7 standby, nobody... So finally the all the IT people get all stressed up quit their IT jobs and become photographers and then wack the photography pie. So I guess blame all the jokers out there who want IT services, but want to pay us IT people peanuts to do the job, iregarless weather we provide quility services. Cheap is good... So Next time anybody who wants their IT stuff running smoothly please pay us decent money to get that spiffy web site up or set up the mails server etc... Heh heh..
    I think the ratio of IT companies is much much more than photographers in Singapore......?

So it's time you should start charging at least a minimum of a $1,000 for Actual Wedding Day. I have friends (IT line as well) who charges $1,200 for Actual Wedding Day photoshoot and above. And they are only doing it on freelance basis.

You market yourself well, you get paid well. Not only for photography industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Well have a look at one example.....

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=145793

Post no.4
    Hi ProImag,e thanks for the link. I tried to pitch for the job just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    Hi ProImag,e thanks for the link. I tried to pitch for the job just to see what happens.
    I am also pitching in to see what happens too.......

Thinking of charging $3000 for 6 hours with my benq camera... you just undercut me.

Judeseah and Pro Image, maybe you guys can help me here. Some of the little niggles about forming this alliance we have are the following

1. There needs to be benefits for all the photographers in this price alliance. Besides referrals, what else would both of you like? What sort of incentives woudl make you join? Joint advertising to reduce advertising costs?
    2. Any ideas on how to monitor this group to ensure price cutting doens't happen within the group?
    3. Who gets to join? Who doesn't? What are the criterions for joining?

Any help/input you can give on ths would be greatly appreciated.
    to be honest, don't know if i m the right person to answer,
    but here is my opinion,

1. the advertising and actual sales pitch by a 'pro' sales person would be nice.
    you know? if i m a good marketing guy, i would have be in sales rather than here TG!

2. if not mistaken, someone else answered, trust, as its tough to monitor. but maybe
    impose a strike-one and you are out penalty.

3. a select members committee to decide?

if ever you are forming such a grouping,
    do keep me inform, ok?

jude

Hi all,

I agree with a fellow ClubSnap member that this topic of undercutting and underpaying has been discussed a lot in CS. This topic cannot be put to rest easily, and the cause may have its roots in the way we were raised and conditioned by society and culture.

It appears that Singapore is not the only society to have this problem of underpaying and undercutting.

Being in Melbourne, I observe that many Asian businesses here also engage in ways to sell/charge less and also pay less. Comparatively, Asian businesses sell for less and pay employees less than their Caucasian/western counterparts. One of the ways they do this is by not contributing to the the employees income tax and superannuation (something like CPF), which is technically illegal in Australia. However, many Asian businesses continue to do so.

These businesses may have kept their labour cost down but in the long run, their employees suffer without superannuation. True, they sell their goods and services cheaper than the white men but to make good enough money, the Asians work 24/7. The whites tend to work 5 or 6 days only, and close shop by 6pm. (Hence we have many Asian tourists complaining that Australia closes shop too early.) It's really a simple case of working hard but not working smart.

Australia is a continent apart from Asia and Singapore but yet the Asians here are conducting business in the same way. It's something in our Asian culture to sell low and buy cheap.

Previously, I wanted to suggest that ClubSnap could be some kind of governing body or association to help regulate the prices charged by S'porean photographers but kept quiet (until now that I have said it). Instead of making ClubSnap become a forum to find freebie or cheapie photographers with more and more threads reading "Looking for actual day photographer", post a sticky somewhere that says "Pricing guide for wedding photographers" according to different levels of skill and experience.

I'm sure there are many avid, passionate, serious, hardcore, unrepentant photographers in this forum. The numbers could be quite large compared to just a group of friends forming some small alliance. If such a pricing guide was posted in ClubSnap, it gives members a clear guide how to price themselves, and also gives wedding photographer hunters (wedding couples) a rough idea how much money they will need to spend on immortalising their wedding memories (as opposed to showing off their wealth with 30 tables at Some Hotel to later crap it out into a toilet bowl 6 hours later).

Don't flame me. I'm just giving my ideas and my observation of Melbourne Asians.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 16th August 2005 at 09:43 AM.

haha!
    wow! 6hrs to crap it out?
    mine i served hard to digest food so it should last 24hrs.

btw, take a look here

http://www.styleweddings.com.sg/foru...spx?PostID=711

price seems normal,
    but look at what he gives.
    work my sums n it seeems
    he need to work for at least 3 days after the big day.
    if ever getting married again,
    will look at his portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by judeseah
    btw, take a look here

http://www.styleweddings.com.sg/foru...spx?PostID=711

price seems normal,
    but look at what he gives.
    work my sums n it seeems
    he need to work for at least 3 days after the big day.
    if ever getting married again,
    will look at his portfolio.

Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean but I guess he has to toil/labour for 3 days after the wedding to deliver all those prints, DVDs, etc?

Yea, it appears to be a very generous offer for only $868. Hmm... appears to be another case of working hard but not working smart?

Or maybe I'm just too lazy?
    Last edited by Jemapela; 16th August 2005 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela

Or maybe I'm just too lazy?
    guess we are all too lazy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123