Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Very sad by birders i see

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Very sad by birders i see

    Hi i was jogging in Japanese garden today

    There were many photogapher around water lily lake. They were waiting for a Kingfisher, When he flew to the water to catch a fish, they all "AAAAAAH" and scare him away

    Then they even throw biscuits into the water to try and get him to come back. Mostly older men, 40-60 years old. Group of about 15.

    I do not know if this is accepted in Singapore but in all other countries this is bad

  2. #2

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    you should come over sg tampines where they throw fishes and bits of food to lure those birds
    i have heard comment from onlookers saying that's not the correct way to appreciate and photograph birds in the wild

    don't get me flamed but i try to stay away from those chums wherever i turn up either for photography or just bird watching with my bino and telescope because...
    1. it can get too noisy with all the excitement when the bird do turn up...
    2. crowding over a narrow open bridge or small jetty of photographers and onlookers...
    3. i don't condone the luring of birds with food to photograph them.
    Last edited by anuar ahmad; 23rd October 2014 at 04:10 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    I think they are throwing bread to feed the fish..lol

  4. #4

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    have sympathy for old men with nothing to do

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    have sympathy for old men with nothing to do

    Btw, I know some of these birding old men .................. they always have some stories and anecdotes to share ....

    Birder friend shooting kingfisher by the lake and along comes kaypoh lady ...

    Lady: What are you all shooting here arh?
    Birder: Shooting bird ....sshhhhh
    Lady: What bird ....where got bird?
    Birder: Shhhh ....
    Lady: Can open and let me see?
    Birder: Here ......(unzips fly) and the lady goes ..............
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  6. #6

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    have sympathy for old men with nothing to do
    At least they their spend time bird catching and watching. If they go to B or T to catch chicken they will exhaust their CPF.

  7. #7
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    There were many photogapher around water lily lake. They were waiting for a Kingfisher, When he flew to the water to catch a fish, they all "AAAAAAH" and scare him away
    Don't make sense: why would you shout to frighten away the subject that you have so patiently waited for when it comes?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi i was jogging in Japanese garden today

    There were many photogapher around water lily lake. They were waiting for a Kingfisher, When he flew to the water to catch a fish, they all "AAAAAAH" and scare him away

    Then they even throw biscuits into the water to try and get him to come back. Mostly older men, 40-60 years old. Group of about 15.
    For those unfamiliar with birding ......AAAAAAAH in bird talk is for getting the Kingfisher to open its beak to swallow the bait ......but in this case they should have thrown the biscuits first ............................. ..............
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Funny thing is, i never see birders go aaaaahhhh. Where got time when everyone is spamming their shutter release?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Why so surprised? This is common in Singapore. Most people are mostly concerned about getting the shots, and not so much on the well being of the birds.

    You are right that other countries people behave differently.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Don't make sense: why would you shout to frighten away the subject that you have so patiently waited for when it comes?
    I agree..I was puzzled with the "Aaahhhh" to frighten the bird. So I just read it with a pinch of salt.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Why so surprised? This is common in Singapore. Most people are mostly concerned about getting the shots, and not so much on the well being of the birds. You are right that other countries people behave differently.
    Can u elaborate? I read your reply and gave me the impressions that these unethical behaviors are common in Singapore and not found in other countries? Did I get u correctly? Or did u mean that only Singaporeans behave in such manners whichever countries they go?
    Last edited by Turbonetics; 23rd October 2014 at 05:43 PM.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Why so surprised? This is common in Singapore. Most people are mostly concerned about getting the shots, and not so much on the well being of the birds.

    You are right that other countries people behave differently.
    Actually singaporean birders are a lot more ethical than many other countries...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    At least they their spend time bird catching and watching. If they go to B or T to catch chicken they will exhaust their CPF.
    just for a bird satisfaction ?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    I agree..I was puzzled with the "Aaahhhh" to frighten the bird. So I just read it with a pinch of salt.
    Hi no they were not aaaaah to scare the bird but because they were excited to see it but they were very loud and that scared the bird

  16. #16

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi no they were not aaaaah to scare the bird but because they were excited to see it but they were very loud and that scared the bird
    They make noise after the kingfisher dived and left with or without fish I guess. If the kingfisher is still around for another dive, do you see them aaaaah?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    They make noise after the kingfisher dived and left with or without fish I guess. If the kingfisher is still around for another dive, do you see them aaaaah?
    They make noise when he flew from the tree and was going to the water. All pointing to turn cameras. Then after they scare it away they throw biscuit into water

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi no they were not aaaaah to scare the bird but because they were excited to see it but they were very loud and that scared the bird
    So in other words they didn't do it intentionally? The only reason I could think of for making the "aaahhh" sound was they were waiting patiently for the bird to dive(this can be very fast or donkey hours) and to taking the opportunity to take some flight shots and probably the bird dive was too sudden that most of them missed the opportunity to burst the shutter so giving out the sound of "aaahhh" which is a sign of disappointment.
    Last edited by Turbonetics; 24th October 2014 at 09:07 AM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    So in other words they didn't do it intentionally? The only reason I could think of for making the "aaahhh" sound was they were waiting patiently for the bird to dive(this can be very fast or donkey hours) and to taking the opportunity to take some flight shots and probably the bird dive was too sudden that most of them missed the opportunity to burst the shutter so giving out the sound of "aaahhh" which is a sign of disappointment.
    No they all had their lenses pointed in the right direction and the AAAAH was when the bird flew from the tree

  20. #20

    Default Re: Very sad by birders i see

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    No they all had their lenses pointed in the right direction and the AAAAH was when the bird flew from the tree
    definitely they have their lenses pointed at the bird,but this doesn't mean they have enough reaction time to shoot it in flight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •