Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Nikon is so exclusive?

Default Re: Why Nikon is so exclusive?

Peace please.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

i at peace...very peaceful..thanks.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    no idea...i just quote your reply to me when i was talking about generosity and you say stick to topic....then you go off talking about nikon's rewards...so i tell you stick to topic.
    You were comparing Canon and Nikon directly, which is something the admins and mods frown on often, thus possible to lead to flames, did I not read it correctly?

I compared the rewards from Nikon vs M1 vs SCV. If you want to be a troll, be a smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    You were comparing Canon and Nikon directly, which is something the admins and mods frown on often, thus possible to lead to flames, did I not read it correctly?

I compared the rewards from Nikon vs M1 vs SCV. If you want to be a troll, be a smart one.
    i see. so you sidestep the issue by comparing nikon with other non-camera brands instead. good approach. ok then let me rephrase my earlier statement.

at least canon is more generous than scv. they give out free vests to all participants whether canon users or not.

Deregistered

i see. so you sidestep the issue by comparing nikon with other non-camera brands instead. good approach. ok then let me rephrase my earlier statement.

at least canon is more generous than scv. they give out free vests to all participants whether canon users or not.
    #1 you went OT with post #24 of this thread, directly comparing Nikon's 'generousity' with Canon's free gifts (which I don't see a link to Binbeto's reply).

#2 My reply was in direct to Watcher's on his comments in post #32 that being exclusive is a form of reward for Nikon users, and my comparisons with general services from the other sectors.

I didn't sidestep, you did.

Even in the post before this, you for some apparent reason, wanting to prove you are right, compared Canon with SCV and quoted free vests as gifts.

#1 Big Walk, Nikon gave out free dri-fit type shirts to all participants, if it was an open event, it would have been ALL participants, regardless Nikon user or not.

#2, Photomarathon was a for ALL event, Canon took a right step in giving out vests so that photographers can go around and be recongised as a participant. They can give to individuals that use Canon only, but won't that be real biased and exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    #1 you went OT with post #24 of this thread, directly comparing Nikon's 'generousity' with Canon's free gifts (which I don't see a link to Binbeto's reply).

#2 My reply was in direct to Watcher's on his comments in post #32 that being exclusive is a form of reward for Nikon users, and my comparisons with general services from the other sectors.

I didn't sidestep, you did.

Even in the post before this, you for some apparent reason, wanting to prove you are right, compared Canon with SCV and quoted free vests as gifts.

#1 Big Walk, Nikon gave out free dri-fit type shirts to all participants, if it was an open event, it would have been ALL participants, regardless Nikon user or not.

#2, Photomarathon was a for ALL event, Canon took a right step in giving out vests so that photographers can go around and be recongised as a participant. They can give to individuals that use Canon only, but won't that be real biased and exclusive?

yup and i learnt from you. thanks

OK, cool down & relax dudes.
    Why stress yourself over this matter anyway? You think Canon or Nikon will give you any prices if any of you win an argument? Lighten up dudes. And no point arguing further...

no worries lah...we not arguing. he just teaching me the right way to do things. all is cool

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Simple answer:
    Nikon wants to reward those who had help them become successful. Exclusivity is a reward thanking supports of Nikon. Simple enough?

This will entice others to join this membership and thus form a win-win situation.

To those who complain and whine, answer me this: why don't you complain about exclusive offers to particular credit cards, exclusive special events or discount for owners of a particular brand of cars, discount for F&B and special offers if you work in a building, area or that the building belongs to a particular company?

So Canon should start following this approach huh? photoshot marathon, Car's the Star, DMH event (Cassandra with bike photoshot), all should be restricted for only Canon users? Or Nikon users should be self-conscious not to participate in Canon's events? This is absurd...

Quote Originally Posted by edward1
    So Canon should start following this approach huh? photoshot marathon, Car's the Star, DMH event (Cassandra with bike photoshot), all should be restricted for only Canon users? Or Nikon users should be self-conscious not to participate in Canon's events? This is absurd...
    How about users should start concentrating on photography instead of brand wars? Why are people so keen to work for free as promoters for the big brands by joining their "exclusive" marketing events?

wah...you die ah... now you got all the nikon users pissed

Actually I like both Nikon and Canon too.
    Nikon and Canon have managed to have deep market penetration such that they are not "exclusive" but are found everywhere. This is good.

Some brands/products depend on "exclusivity" to sell.
    Some don't.
    It is just marketing.

Both Nikon and Canon have realised that as far as digital cameras is concerned, there is a lot more money to be made from the masses. It is a huge emerging market with Billions$ more to be made in the near future. Wisely, they have not narrowed their target market segment to the ultra rich only.

But some products are made for a very narrow market that can afford extreme prices. There is a yatch company that makes private motorised yatchs costing US$50 Million. The designer is Italian. Now this is exclusive. It is for the Indonesian/US/European/Middle east Tycoons and new rich China Billionaires. Bentley sells very well in China now. Each car costs several Million$.
    In comparison, a $500 or $6,000 Nikon or Canon digital camera is not "exclusive".

The events that Nikon and Canon organise is well, so...so... go if you have nothing to do that day. Get some freebies too. Enjoy. But no need to feel sad if you missed it.
    Nothing important.

By the way, I fully respect their wish to take care of their respective customers first.

If they give equal treatment to all, that is wise. But their budget/resources may be limited so at some point they may need to prioritise who they attend to first.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 13th August 2005 at 10:46 AM.

Nikon's aim is to keep loyal customers
    Canon's aim to to attract new customers

Nothing wrong with either of that... it's just a different priority that each brand adopts..
    Last edited by willyfoo; 13th August 2005 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edward1
    Firstly, whether Canon should or not take this approach is non of my business (literally). It is up to them on how they spend their marketing budget. Like what Willy said, different approach.

Let me ask you a direct question: do you not see the same thing with M1 / Starhub / Singtel promos? "Exclusive on M1: movie previews! Discount on YYYYY show!", etc. It has been done for every category of consumer goods and services. Give me one good reason why Nikon is any different from the other providers of goods and services.

BTW, when a group of users from a particular brand formed a officially brand sanctioned group here, the same question was asked why can't users of other groups join in. The answer? It is not a general-purpose club. Search on it yourself.
    Last edited by Watcher; 13th August 2005 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    Actually I like both Nikon and Canon too.
    Nikon and Canon have managed to have deep market penetration such that they are not "exclusive" but are found everywhere. This is good.

Some brands/products depend on "exclusivity" to sell.
    Some don't.
    It is just marketing.

Both Nikon and Canon have realised that as far as digital cameras is concerned, there is a lot more money to be made from the masses. It is a huge emerging market with Billions$ more to be made in the near future. Wisely, they have not narrowed their target market segment to the ultra rich only.

But some products are made for a very narrow market that can afford extreme prices. There is a yatch company that makes private motorised yatchs costing US$50 Million. The designer is Italian. Now this is exclusive. It is for the Indonesian/US/European/Middle east Tycoons and new rich China Billionaires. Bentley sells very well in China now. Each car costs several Million$.
    In comparison, a $500 or $6,000 Nikon or Canon digital camera is not "exclusive".
    Exclusivity is a relative thing, never an absolute. To someone who earns say $50k per annum, spending $10k on a camera makes them feel "exclusive". Or if the person spend $5k on a watch, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    The events that Nikon and Canon organise is well, so...so... go if you have nothing to do that day. Get some freebies too. Enjoy. But no need to feel sad if you missed it.
    Nothing important.

By the way, I fully respect their wish to take care of their respective customers first.

If they give equal treatment to all, that is wise. But their budget/resources may be limited so at some point they may need to prioritise who they attend to first.
    Precisely!

hmmmmm.............

Canon and Nikon are both good cams as i would say, they have their own irreplaceable features that Canon have and Nikon doesn't or vice versa, at the end of the day it's a fashion of ours - enjoy it!.

Before I choose this hobby I used to be an R/C enthusiast for few years, I love racing cars then i started appriciate taking pictures on cars. So, I decided to own a Nikon D70 and start learning with this new toy.

Last month, my friend SMS me that there's a car photo contest, that day I was so exciting to know more, but sad to know that it is exclusive for Canon users. So, on the same day I SMS my Canon partner that this is for you to show your shoots!

I would say that, though my main affection of having this new toy is taking a shoots of cars which turn me down. Maxim, I've been trying to squeeze myself but not given any chance due to it's limitations, but I don't feel discriminated or any form of infuriate. This is just a marketing approach, hope someday have the same oppurtunity the same.

Again, this is just a fashion of ours, love it and enjoy it!

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Did they say why they don't allow? Not sure if the situation I'm talking about is the same as yours.

THe situation I was talking about is clearly where photography of their models are allowed, except that you need to be holding a Canon camera in order to take.
    Just a queer thought - What if you are using a Canon body + Nikon or 3rd party lens?

vince123123
    Guests

I think they just look at the body only. not sure cos I never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_stinger
    Just a queer thought - What if you are using a Canon body + Nikon or 3rd party lens?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123