Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: So many... Which one??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Was throw this question, need advise from bro...... Profile of user: Old newbies, zero knowledge of PS, 1/2 bucket on LR Purpose: Mainly indoor portraits and wild kids running round the house Impt features of camera: Good AF and WB (good af for active subject and good WB cause lousy pp skill) Will not shoot beyond ISO 800..... Will use flash to keep ISO down..... When zoom in in LR..... Cannot stand noise.... Need sharp sharp.... Duh.... If u in his shoe.... What u will go for.... Other than taking up a PP lesson.... Kekekekeke.....

    Budget can go to 5k plus.....
    Last edited by N-user; 22nd October 2014 at 10:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    For $5k you can hire top level trainers. Ok.. take $2.5k for a camera, the rest for the coach. That should work.
    EOS

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    any cameras can do that, just need to modify the house to green house, shoot only during sunny day, and find those kids move slower than sloth.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    For $5k you can hire top level trainers. Ok.. take $2.5k for a camera, the rest for the coach. That should work.
    Kekeke I also tell him.... pay me 4k. .. get him a 1k camera I become his coach

    On a slightly serious note.... Told him consider K3 or EM1/EM10 or both ...... Then after that.... I can borrow the K3 for Pentax outing.... Kekekeke
    Last edited by N-user; 22nd October 2014 at 12:39 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Was throw this question, need advise from bro...... Profile of user: Old newbies, zero knowledge of PS, 1/2 bucket on LR Purpose: Mainly indoor portraits and wild kids running round the house Impt features of camera: Good AF and WB (good af for active subject and good WB cause lousy pp skill) Will not shoot beyond ISO 800..... Will use flash to keep ISO down..... When zoom in in LR..... Cannot stand noise.... Need sharp sharp.... Duh.... If u in his shoe.... What u will go for.... Other than taking up a PP lesson.... Kekekekeke.....

    Budget can go to 5k plus.....
    D4 or 1DX

  6. #6
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    I say get a 1D3 or 1D4, then use the rest of the money to light the whole house up.

  7. #7
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Was throw this question, need advise from bro...... Profile of user: Old newbies, zero knowledge of PS, 1/2 bucket on LR Purpose: Mainly indoor portraits and wild kids running round the house Impt features of camera: Good AF and WB (good af for active subject and good WB cause lousy pp skill) Will not shoot beyond ISO 800..... Will use flash to keep ISO down..... When zoom in in LR..... Cannot stand noise.... Need sharp sharp.... Duh.... If u in his shoe.... What u will go for.... Other than taking up a PP lesson.... Kekekekeke.....

    Budget can go to 5k plus.....
    D810, 5DmkIII, A7S. If he get the 5DmkIII, tell him to get the 50mm f1.2L. There he should be great to go.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  8. #8

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Was throw this question, need advise from bro...... Profile of user: Old newbies, zero knowledge of PS, 1/2 bucket on LR Purpose: Mainly indoor portraits and wild kids running round the house Impt features of camera: Good AF and WB (good af for active subject and good WB cause lousy pp skill) Will not shoot beyond ISO 800..... Will use flash to keep ISO down..... When zoom in in LR..... Cannot stand noise.... Need sharp sharp.... Duh.... If u in his shoe.... What u will go for.... Other than taking up a PP lesson.... Kekekekeke.....

    Budget can go to 5k plus.....
    This one really D4 or 1DX (and maybe still fail at it )

    Personally, I think some skill is involved to capture kids (the usual rules of anticipation; staging; peak of the action all apply)
    Without application of the right sills/knowledge, will usually still result in failure even with the most whiz bang of cameras.
    Sometimes simple things like using a bounced flash or turning on the lights helps lots.
    Even simple tricks like suddenly shouting "Ah! I caught a bug!" will catch their attention than keep saying "Look here, look here"

    Also, as anxious parents, I understand most folks will say they want to capture their child's 'every moment' but often, kids making a ruckus and milling around are not necessarily the 'peak of the action' and trying to capture photos then, is not only hard (which brings up this whole question/want of superb AF) but also not the nicest of moments.
    MHO.


    So for your friend, I'd recommend any current camera that does low light AF (-3ev capability will be an advantage indoors).
    But the rest and most important part will be thinking/learning to get the shots.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 22nd October 2014 at 01:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    I say get a 1D3 or 1D4, then use the rest of the money to light the whole house up.
    that's an idea..... Or 1D4 with couple of ropes and spot lights.... Kekekeke

  10. #10

    Default

    Iam more familiar with Canon so shall advise on Canon. Firstly of all,I see noise as being one of the concerns so I would naturally suggest FF which are 6D,5D3 or 1Dx. Secondly fast focus,this one plays a part for both camera and lens I would then narrow down to 5D3 or 1Dx. Thirdly,with the kind of budget u can only get either 5D3 with a fast L lens or 1Dx and hardly any spare change for a decent lens. So to balance up everything,I would suggest 5D3 with 24-70mm F2.8 and a budget flash. Lastly,I think LR can be self learned through YouTube. That's what I did and my PP skill also not very good just the basic.
    P.S: focus speed is subjective as he may find 6D fast enough.

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    Iam more familiar with Canon so shall advise on Canon. Firstly of all,I see noise as being one of the concerns so I would naturally suggest FF which are 6D,5D3 or 1Dx. Secondly fast focus,this one plays a part for both camera and lens I would then narrow down to 5D3 or 1Dx. Thirdly,with the kind of budget u can only get either 5D3 with a fast L lens or 1Dx and hardly any spare change for a decent lens. So to balance up everything,I would suggest 5D3 with 24-70mm F2.8 and a budget flash. Lastly,I think LR can be self learned through YouTube. That's what I did and my PP skill also not very good just the basic.
    P.S: focus speed is subjective as he may find 6D fast enough.
    I wonder how so many people manage to take good shots indoors with only an entry level camera and the 50/1.8...
    Noise is overrated. As long as TS does not give a clear example at which noise level the pixel peeper starts getting nervous I take such statements as 'noise'. The in-camera capabilities or those of LR are more than enough to get rid of most noise if it really occurs. The rest is gone once the picture gets downsized for FB etc. Avoiding noise starts with proper exposure and light. Knowledge is more helpful here than expensive equipment.
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I wonder how so many people manage to take good shots indoors with only an entry level camera and the 50/1.8... Noise is overrated. As long as TS does not give a clear example at which noise level the pixel peeper starts getting nervous I take such statements as 'noise'. The in-camera capabilities or those of LR are more than enough to get rid of most noise if it really occurs. The rest is gone once the picture gets downsized for FB etc. Avoiding noise starts with proper exposure and light. Knowledge is more helpful here than expensive equipment.
    I hope that u are not trying to imply that iam saying entry level dslr isn't capable of capturing beautiful indoor shoots? I was merely giving my advice based on what the concerns are. And yes,AF speed,noise level,sharpness...etc are subjective to individual so my reply was in general..if he was my friend,I would have asked him in more details..personally iam not good in PP so I always try my best in photoshoots to reduce the PP works..iam not sure with others but personally I try to reduce NR work if possible to maintain the details and sharpness. And yes,I pixel peep,I know not everyone does that but this is just personal preferences. And I don't mean that expensive equipments can solve everything. Good equipments to me are that if u know when u are needing them.

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    I hope that u are not trying to imply that iam saying entry level dslr isn't capable of capturing beautiful indoor shoots?
    I don't imply anything, read your own posting
    I prefer to ask: why can't entry level equipment do the job? A question that usually reveals the thinking process, if there is any.
    Last edited by Octarine; 23rd October 2014 at 05:02 PM.
    EOS

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Kekekeke.... Anyway told him to head down to shops to have feel of the camera he has in mind..... Likely looking FF.... Either A7 series for size or a d750 for faster AF.... Only he know which he like..... Told him if like both.... Buy both and sell me cheap cheap the one he don't like later..... Kekeke....

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I don't imply anything, read your own posting I prefer to ask: why can't entry level equipment do the job? A question that usually reveals the thinking process, if there is any.
    Ok glad to hear that
    Entry level camera still can do the job if u asked me. But seems like TS friend wants everything with good good specs,but then we know a lot of things are subjective and maybe he will be happy with even an entry level camera performance

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post

    Ok glad to hear that
    Entry level camera still can do the job if u asked me. But seems like TS friend wants everything with good good specs,but then we know a lot of things are subjective and maybe he will be happy with even an entry level camera performance
    Yes.. the specs required are a little crazy. Shooting a f8 with flash can work also.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonetics View Post
    Ok glad to hear that Entry level camera still can do the job if u asked me. But seems like TS friend wants everything with good good specs,but then we know a lot of things are subjective and maybe he will be happy with even an entry level camera performance
    Kekeke.... Hope he find something he like....

  18. #18
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,544

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    Lots of candy and ice cream treats as part of kit. This is for wild children so they come to love being photographed!

    This only buys you about ten minutes though because after that you will need to high of a shutter speed to catch a good photo...LOL

  19. #19
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,890

    Default

    Probably an iPhone 6+ comes with OIS too !

    And anyway , getting an EM1 with 25/1.8 or even the 42.5/1.2 should do the trick. And he has enough change to pay for a course on PP.
    Last edited by keithwee; 4th November 2014 at 04:25 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: So many... Which one??

    X100S should do fine in the conditions that you mention.

    Small and agile. Great for pulling out of pocket for the moments you don't see coming.

    Beautiful out of camera jpegs. No need to mess with raw files and too much post processing.

    Great ISO performance. Shoot up to 3200 and the results are still pleasing.

    Even if you shoot with flash, pictures are still beautifully balanced.

    If there's something Fuji does well, it'd be skin tones. So great for pictures of children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •