Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 159

Thread: DX camera recommendation

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    But the Sirui and Benro (I don't know about other brands) twist lock tripods can extend all the legs to max at one go right? Twist all the locks and pull will release all legs to max length right? With clip lock tripod, you can unlock all legs at one go, but you have to manually pull out the legs, they don't have a mechanism to extend the legs for you I think. At least mine doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    No. Depend on how you do it. When all the legs are fully retracted, you can access to all the twist lock with one palm, twist it (you don't need to twist 360degree) just a slight twist of your wrist, and you release everything, then the leg will 'fall' downward using gravity pull. Less than 1 sec to release everything if you are used to it. Same for clip lock, one palm, three or four clips are open then let gravity do their job.

    Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    About Sirui tripods.

    E series tripods are all flip lock tripods
    The rest are all twist locks

    flip lock or twist lock is very much personal preference. I like twist locks because they are a lot easier to maintain in the long run. Flip locks usually have metal screws that will corrode in time if you submerge them in, say, sea water.

    But in the end, it is really up to you. What you prefer. The best way to find out is to go down to a shop and try them out. You can check them out in TK foto in Funan, they are the distributor of Sirui.
    Thanks. Most likely I will get the Sirui T-X series with the twist lock.

  2. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    The 12-40 f2.8 is the 24-70 f2.8 equivalent for m4/3 (it's 24-80, but the purpose is still the same.
    Please don't forget to multiply crop factor to the aperture when you mention equivalence to full frame. 12-40 f/2.8 has a 35mm equivalent of 24-80 f/5.6. For ISO equivalence, you need to multiply to the square of the crop factor.

    There's a guy who already explained this in 3-4 videos on youtube (Tony Northrup). I'm not advertising him, I just don't know somebody else who explains this equivalence topic better. If you do, please share here.


    This thread has no longer been a "DX camera recommendation thread" for quite some time now.
    Last edited by Nehalem; 26th November 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    IXY 810 IS | EOS-M | D3200 | D7100 |Df | X100T

  3. #123

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    Please don't forget to multiply crop factor to the aperture when you mention equivalence to full frame. 12-40 f/2.8 has a 35mm equivalent of 24-80 f/5.6. For ISO equivalence, you need to multiply to the square of the crop factor.

    There's a guy who already explained this in 3-4 videos on youtube (Tony Northrup). I'm not advertising him, I just don't know somebody else who explains this equivalence topic better. If you do, please share here.


    This thread has no longer been a "DX camera recommendation thread" for quite some time now.
    That might be the case, but people still use it as a 24-70 f2.8 kind of lens. General purpose large aperture zoom.

  4. #124
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    Please don't forget to multiply crop factor to the aperture when you mention equivalence to full frame. 12-40 f/2.8 has a 35mm equivalent of 24-80 f/5.6. For ISO equivalence, you need to multiply to the square of the crop factor.

    There's a guy who already explained this in 3-4 videos on youtube (Tony Northrup). I'm not advertising him, I just don't know somebody else who explains this equivalence topic better. If you do, please share here.


    This thread has no longer been a "DX camera recommendation thread" for quite some time now.
    You really have to be clear what Tony is actually saying.

    Exposure settings will be the same. For the same scene FOV, at the same ISO settings, the two lenses at F2.8 will still give you roughly the same shutter speed. So exposure triangle is around the same. That is where F2.8 in m4/3 is equal to F2.8 in FF. Only for DoF, the aperture equivalence is different. and it is not exact 2x also. To be exact, you can use this to calculate: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

    As for ISO equivalence, this only holds true it you are comparing crop factor on the same exact sensor. Cameras (hardware and software) are designed as a whole. So the software and image processors are tuned to maximize IQ for that particular sensor size as a whole. It is not as simple as throwing our 4x (2 stops). And with new technologies, APSC and m4/3 are really closing the gap really fast. Just look at X-trans sensor vs Bayer pattern FF sensors. If you ask me, noise is overrated.

    Many folks are so focused on "Bokeh" now that they automatically equate aperture size to bokeh... so very quick to talk about aperture equivalence. But as you shoot more and push the limits of your camera, you will understand that wider apertures give you a lot more than just the ability to blur the background. Giving you the ability to get a faster shutter speed in low light trumps background blur any day, in terms of importance.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th November 2014 at 01:05 PM.

  5. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You really have to be clear what Tony is actually saying.

    Exposure settings will be the same. For the same scene FOV, at the same ISO settings, the two lenses at F2.8 will still give you roughly the same shutter speed. So exposure triangle is around the same. That is where F2.8 in m4/3 is equal to F2.8 in FF. Only for DoF, the aperture equivalence is different. and it is not exact 2x also. To be exact, you can use this to calculate: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

    As for ISO equivalence, this only holds true it you are comparing crop factor on the same exact sensor. Cameras (hardware and software) are designed as a whole. So the software and image processors are tuned to maximize IQ for that particular sensor size as a whole. It is not as simple as throwing our 4x (2 stops). And with new technologies, APSC and m4/3 are really closing the gap really fast. Just look at X-trans sensor vs Bayer pattern FF sensors. If you ask me, noise is overrated.

    Many folks are so focused on "Bokeh" now that they automatically equate aperture size to bokeh... so very quick to talk about aperture equivalence. But as you shoot more and push the limits of your camera, you will understand that wider apertures give you a lot more than just the ability to blur the background. Giving you the ability to get a faster shutter speed in low light trumps background blur any day, in terms of importance.
    You are correct about same exposure triangle on different-sized sensors but as the noise and DoF of the resulting photos (from the two diff sensor-sized cameras) are no longer the same, it is less of being the same photo than taking shots of the same scene using exposure triangles that completely takes into account the crop factor.

    Are we more concerned of how our shots can be taken at the same settings with different gears than how we are able to shoot exactly the same photo with different gears?
    IXY 810 IS | EOS-M | D3200 | D7100 |Df | X100T

  6. #126

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    You are correct about same exposure triangle on different-sized sensors but as the noise and DoF of the resulting photos (from the two diff sensor-sized cameras) are no longer the same, it is less of being the same photo than taking shots of the same scene using exposure triangles that completely takes into account the crop factor.

    Are we more concerned of how our shots can be taken at the same settings with different gears than how we are able to shoot exactly the same photo with different gears?
    We are concerned about making great images. If the picture is great, it doesn't matter if it's a F8, 1/320s ISO 100 shot or a F2.8, 1/1000s ISO 100 shot. At the end of the day, if you make great pictures, I don't care what settings you use. I appreciate the image, not the F-stop or noise.

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Free 45mm f1.8 lens with purchase of Olympus OM-D E-M10.

    Name:  olympus-sitex-a4-flyer-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.5 KB

  8. #128

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by renol View Post
    Free 45mm f1.8 lens with purchase of Olympus OM-D E-M10.

    Name:  olympus-sitex-a4-flyer-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.5 KB
    Pretty darn good deal IMO, too bad I have exams

    EDIT: lol I just say the description of the 45/1.8, "girlfriend lens".
    Last edited by brapodam; 27th November 2014 at 02:14 PM.

  9. #129

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Pretty darn good deal IMO, too bad I have exams
    Even if I go down now. May already sold out. 😂

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Pretty darn good deal IMO, too bad I have exams

    EDIT: lol I just say the description of the 45/1.8, "girlfriend lens".
    Haha... "Girlfriend Lens". Are you also getting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMae Hoh View Post
    Even if I go down now. May already sold out. ��
    The 45mm lens has to redeem, not get it upon purchase.
    Last edited by renol; 27th November 2014 at 03:38 PM.

  11. #131
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    Are we more concerned of how our shots can be taken at the same settings with different gears than how we are able to shoot exactly the same photo with different gears?
    Actually no... many people, myself included, buying into a mirrorless system is to shoot for a different purpose. I still have my FF equipment, and large lenses which I will still use for certain purposes. But the mirrorless system is used for travel shots.

    The thing is, understand what you need a system for, and use the right tool for the right job. Learn the system's characteristic well, and push the limits. How thin your DoF is never an indication of how good your pictures are. Understanding your basics and your tools well, so shooting become 2nd nature, so when the moment comes you can execute without much fumbling, so you can make good pictures.

    BTW, ever shot with FF before and felt that some of your subjects faces are blur due to too thin a DoF? happens to me all the time, because light is bad, and I have to use a large aperture to get the shutter speed I want. But ended up having a few faces in the picture blur due to insufficient depth. A APSC or m43 camera here will help greatly, giving me the shutter speed I need and the deeper DoF at the same time. It is a double edge sword.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th November 2014 at 04:40 PM.

  12. #132
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Think we should stop discussing about FX, TS is only keen to know DX previously and now mirrorless, is kind of off topic now.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Think we should stop discussing about FX, TS is only keen to know DX previously and now mirrorless, is kind of off topic now.
    Sorry for diverting into mirrorless.

  14. #134
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by renol View Post
    Sorry for diverting into mirrorless.
    There really is nothing to be sorry about. Photography is suppose to be a fun thing to do, and any format works... If you think mirrorless interchangeable lens camera worked for you, then it is alright, as long as it is fun.

    We are carried off discussing the DOF on 35mm fullframe sensor as compared to smaller m43 size sensor. But we will stop now since it is off topic.
    Last edited by rhino123; 28th November 2014 at 09:02 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  15. #135
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    TS, if you can, please update your thread with the final gear you bought (and why).

    At least the others who are also in your same path will be able to follow through and not be left hanging.

    Happy shooting!
    IXY 810 IS | EOS-M | D3200 | D7100 |Df | X100T

  16. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    There really is nothing to be sorry about. Photography is suppose to be a fun thing to do, and any format works... If you think mirrorless interchangeable lens camera worked for you, then it is alright, as long as it is fun.

    We are carried off discussing the DOF on 35mm fullframe sensor as compared to smaller m43 size sensor. But we will stop now since it is off topic.
    Thanks everyone for the information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    TS, if you can, please update your thread with the final gear you bought (and why).

    At least the others who are also in your same path will be able to follow through and not be left hanging.

    Happy shooting!
    I should be getting my gear very soon.

  17. #137
    Member coolhirako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renol View Post

    Thanks everyone for the information.

    I should be getting my gear very soon.
    Nikon DX still ?

  18. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by coolhirako View Post
    Nikon DX still ?
    Nope.

    I went for OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-42mm EZ + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8.

  19. #139
    Member coolhirako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renol View Post

    Nope.

    I went for OLYMPUS OM-D E-M10 + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-42mm EZ + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8.
    Happy shooting

  20. #140
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DX camera recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by coolhirako View Post
    Happy shooting
    Thanks for everyone who advised me along the way.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •