Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    hi,

    sorry for super newbie question:

    referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

    what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
    i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

    thanks
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    hi,

    sorry for super newbie question:

    referring to the sigma 70-300mm APO II lens:

    what is the difference between shooting a subject with the macro switched on and switched off? (the macro can only be activated at the 200 to 300mm range)
    i mean i tried to shoot bjects with and without the macro on... but can't spot the difference... pls enlighten (dun bombard)...

    thanks
    What kind of subjects did u try to take ? Did you try to go as close as u can to the subject with/without the macro switch ?
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
    with and without macro switched on....
    my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

    what should i be looking for ?
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    tried in the zoo.... take the face of giraffe....
    with and without macro switched on....
    my untrained eyes could not really tell the difference....

    what should i be looking for ?
    Macro mode for taking close up of subjects.. giraffe is far away from u.. try focus on a subject and move as close as u can to the subject until u cannot AF anymore on it.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    Macro is for close-up shots. It is not meant to be used on a far away subject. You should do a search on macro photography on the internet and read about it first to understand the basics.

  6. #6
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
    seems pretty far liao....
    so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

    hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    the macro can only be switched on for 200mm to 300mm range....
    seems pretty far liao....
    so what should i expect to observe that is different if the macro is switched off or on ?

    hmm.... does it bring out the details more ? or does be give less DOF when i switched to macro ? ...... blur
    It does not do anything except allows u to focus closer to the subject at 200mm to 300mm range than without the macro mode, the lens extends out more during the macro mode. So when u want to do close up shoots, take on the macro mode and u can focus closer to the subject, otherwise turn it off, focusing will be faster without the macro mode on normal subject.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: what's the purpose of the "macro" switch on sigma 70-300mm lens ?

    oh... get it now....
    thanks majere2sg for your enlightening ans.....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •