Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has President Nathan done for our nation?

Default What has President Nathan done for our nation?

I find the media coverage over Andrew Kuan interesting, I thought it would be nice o know more also about what President Nathan has done for our nation in the past six years. I haven't been around for awhile so I am not too up to date with his work.
    I'm looking for objective factual info so if anyone can fill me in that'll be most appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    I'm looking for objective factual info so if anyone can fill me in that'll be most appreciated
    This is a topic that can may be a bit politically sensitive but mattlock is looking for OBJECTIVE FACTUAL info so any OT or snide remarks will be removed and this thread locked. Otherwise pls feel free to discuss.

ClubSNAP

Well I know one of the things he didn't do. He didn't give Sam, Shanmugam Murugesu, clemency. Looks like it might be quite an interesting race.

other than being a fig head I don't seem to recall him doing much for SG. All those "President Star Chairty" will still be there whoever is the President. I guess most of us did not notice anything diff with President Nathan being the President
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Lightbulb

i am hoping to find out how he has performed as far as his constitutional role of holding second key to the nation's reserves. so far, none available as far as i what i have read.

his health condition. only read he is being monitored by doctors and under control. did he release his health report publicly?

He volunteered for a near-suicide mission. His past work and contribution to the Nation cannot be achieved by any Tom Mouse, Dick Dock or Harry Mouse. Recognising Nathan to the highest executive office in Singapore is a form of recognition to his past work done.

And no, I'm not joking abt the 'near-suicide mission' thing.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

I've been checking up on the role of the president and here is what the Istana website states:

"Under the revision, the President is empowered to veto government budgets and appointments to public office. He can also examine the Government's exercise of its powers under the Internal Security Act and religious harmony laws, and in investigations into cases of corruption. The President must, however, consult the Council of Presidential Advisers before he takes a decision on some of these matters."

Is there any way of actually having factual information related to the job performance of President Nathan, relating to jobscope in the write-up above?

Maybe in lieu of the lack of information we can also compare his job performance to work done by previous Presidents like Wee Khim Wee and Ong Teng Cheong?

I'm interested also in reading personal viewpoints of President Nathan, does anyone have links to interviews with President Nathan or other Presidents in the past?

Is there any way of actually having factual information related to the job performance of President Nathan, relating to jobscope in the write-up above?
    Highly unlikely

I've been checking up on the role of the president and here is what the Istana website states:

"Under the revision, the President is empowered to veto government budgets and appointments to public office. He can also examine the Government's exercise of its powers under the Internal Security Act and religious harmony laws, and in investigations into cases of corruption. The President must, however, consult the Council of Presidential Advisers before he takes a decision on some of these matters."

AFAIK, President Nathan has not exercised any of these powers, unlike his predecessor the late President Ong Teng Cheong.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Ok I found the archive of President Nathan's speeches at http://www.istana.gov.sg/speeches.html
    Are there any interviews given by him?

By the way, anyone knows who make up the Council of Presidential Advisers? Won't be surprised if M&M is in.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    AFAIK, President Nathan has not exercised any of these powers, unlike his predecessor the late President Ong Teng Cheong.
    Yep, that is for sure.

Well, to me, our Mr. President has been safe-guarding our foreign reserves dutifully since his inception. What else? Charity shows, public event appearances, receiving envoys and guests from other countries, goodwill visits to our neighbours, always a big smile on his face, etc. He does make for a popular figure, towards the ruling party and the common folk alike.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    Yep, that is for sure.

Well, to me, our Mr. President has been safe-guarding our foreign reserves dutifully since his inception. What else? Charity shows, public event appearances, receiving envoys and guests from other countries, goodwill visits to our neighbours, always a big smile on his face, etc. He does make for a popular figure, towards the ruling party and the common folk alike.
    All this and more is already being done by PM Lee Hsien Loong.

Why is there a need for a President?

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    By the way, anyone knows who make up the Council of Presidential Advisers? Won't be surprised if M&M is in.
    looks like he is not inside
    Copyright 1999 President's Office, Republic of Singapore
    Version 3.190, 5 April 2004

dual control as a safeguard in case PM is "tempted" to dip in reserves

Quote Originally Posted by burger
    looks like he is not inside
    Copyright 1999 President's Office, Republic of Singapore
    Version 3.190, 5 April 2004
    Don't worry, if M&M's is not happy everyone will know!

HS

Default President Nathan

The Persident's Star Charity was started by the late Ong Teng Cheong.

There's a book on him out in the bookshops, published by the SIngapore Heritage Society. If you want to review what President Nathan has done so far, a good yardstick would be the achievements by Ong TC when he was in office. I personally feel that Ong Teng Cheong was the best president Singapore has had so far.

we are in peace now, so where got things for Mr. President to do or exercise his power? Except hand over cheque to charities, or appear in charities function.

Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Wasn't President Nathan the previous director of the Security and Intelligence Division (SID)? I read about this somewhere. If so, there could be information on his past roles that remain classified.

The president acts as a check. E.g. if an incompetent government comes on board and misuses the reserves, the president can exercise his veto powers. One possible scenario for example is the government using reserves to buy popular support.

You know lah, whenever the Singapore economy hits a bad patch, the first instinct for the layman is to ask for handouts from the country's reserves.

I believe (I could be wrong) the current government's policy is to only dig into the reserves during a national crisis (e.g. rebuilding after war), and not a recession.

So the presidency is a very important post.

I've always thought that the veto powers were introduced by the ruling party to safeguard the prosperity the country has achieved, in the event that the opposition gains control of the government. A prudent move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast