Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is fungus 'contagious'?

Default Is fungus 'contagious'?

If you place a camera/lens wif fungus in a dry cabinet together with those good camera/lens, will the good ones be affected??

Deregistered

Yes..

Thx, espn!
    Jia lard liaoz, jus noticed 1 of my old lens is attacked by fungus (had been lying there for almost a year).
    Isolated it from my other equipment liao. Checked the others, thankfully still ok at this moment, dun know if fungus will start to grow.

fungus is everywhere...
    sigh.

you bet it is.

This thread remind me that the "BUyBUyBuy" virus is also contagious
    and it is very fatal...

Any way I can stop the growth of that evil plant now that my affected lens is out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rexlim
    Any way I can stop the growth of that evil plant now that my affected lens is out?
    no... and do send ur lens for cleaning ASAP.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    no... and do send ur lens for cleaning ASAP.

I read somewhere that UV ray from sunlight can kill fungus. Maybe you can try to do some test shot near your windows and expose your lens to some sunlight. Best is use w/o the UV filter but must be v careful though. Regular usage is the best to prevent fungus, beside keeping them in the dry cab.

But if your lens is really expensive, best is to send for checking and cleaning and do not take chance.

If you place a camera/lens wif fungus in a dry cabinet together with those good camera/lens, will the good ones be affected??
    First: How do you know that the fungus affecting the others comes from that infected ONE lens? Think about it: once you open the door of that dry-cabby, air full of fungal spores flying inside the dry-cabby....did I scare you? :-)

The truth is: fungus grows very very slowly inside the dry-cabby, it all depends at what stage the fungus is in that grows on your lens, for it to be able to spread its spores. If it is not yet in a spore producing stage (you can see that fluffy stuff, just like on your bread), don't worry about fungal spread......just lock your stuff inside and NEVER open the door, that's the safest :-), but the most unpractical.....

Hong Sien

just discoverd this speck of fungus on my lens...tmd..stored in dry cabi for so long..nvr take out also tio,

Now that the fungus-infested lens is isolated (outside cabinet), how can i disinfect the cabinet to prevent fungus from spreading inside dat wil eventually affect my other equipment?

Now that the fungus-infested lens is isolated (outside cabinet), how can i disinfect the cabinet to prevent fungus from spreading inside dat wil eventually affect my other equipment?
    I think you have not read my reply? Think about it first.......

Hong Sien

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago
    just discoverd this speck of fungus on my lens...tmd..stored in dry cabi for so long..nvr take out also tio,
    Jus like my case loh...
    As hongsien had mentioned, fungus's growth is very, very slow in dry cabinet(we can't neglect the possibility thou). That's how it multiplied when stuffs had been lying in cabi for too long without being used.

Yup, fungus/moulds release their spores into the air, so they are literally everywhere. A periodic wipe of the interiors of the dry-cab with denatured alcohol would kill the present fungi, but they'll come back again anyway.

Air in the dry-cab is stagnant, which still could promote growth of fungi, albeit very slowly due to low RH. Short of converting a room into a wafer-fab grade clean-room, we can only practise certain habits to reduce the effects of fungal attacks.

As has been mentioned: Use your gear often. Give it some fresh air, and UV! Then store in dry-cab when not in use.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Yup, fungus/moulds release their spores into the air, so they are literally everywhere. A periodic wipe of the interiors of the dry-cab with denatured alcohol would kill the present fungi, but they'll come back again anyway.

Air in the dry-cab is stagnant, which still could promote growth of fungi, albeit very slowly due to low RH. Short of converting a room into a wafer-fab grade clean-room, we can only practise certain habits to reduce the effects of fungal attacks.

As has been mentioned: Use your gear often. Give it some fresh air, and UV! Then store in dry-cab when not in use.
    Thx!

How about putting a UV light inside the dry cab?

Buy those UV tube torchlights and hook it up to a power supply.... on it permanently.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    How about putting a UV light inside the dry cab?

Buy those UV tube torchlights and hook it up to a power supply.... on it permanently.
    You really need short wavelength UV, which is very harmful toyour eyes and skin, not those low energy UV lights.......spores are tough!

HS

Take note that excessive UV will also degrade plastics, just like the plastic dashboards you see on older cars, or outdoor plastic furniture.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast