Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of DSLR

Default The End of DSLR

http://gizmodo.com/the-last-days-of-the-dslr-1465327158

I need to sell off my equipments liao.
    Objection !!!

A7 series still a long way to catch up la. Plus if they going for different mount, sure an adapter there to support the default lenses. DSLR only problem is weight but the toughness, I says it's solid. Dropped my A850 twice, still ok. Heh heh!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: The End of DSLR

All good things must end so it will eventually come no doubt. But I think the author spoke too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    A7 series still a long way to catch up la. Plus if they going for different mount, sure an adapter there to support the default lenses. DSLR only problem is weight but the toughness, I says it's solid. Dropped my A850 twice, still ok. Heh heh!
    Whether it signals the end of DSLR, I'm not too sure. But it's a beginning of something new.

I beg to differ if it's Sony that needs to catch up when it comes to mirror-less ILC tech. Just think who is Sony competing in the ILC space, not the big two.

I say the big two are the ones that needs to catch up if mirrorless bodies becomes the future. I've seen review sites comparing a Nikon D4s vs Sony A7s which I believe is an unfair comparison.

What the 3 types of FF Mirrorless camera Sony has roll out is just the start.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 9th October 2014 at 09:51 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong; DSLR's weaknesses are weight and dimension. But if you attach 70-200s on full frame mirror-less like A7, it's not that small either.

The picture in Gizmodo website shows Sonar 35/2.8 prime attached to the A7. Try this:

Admittedly the difference is quite there if you attach 24-70s.

I guess the sweet spot is on crop mirror-less like A6000, EOS-M, etc; which are truly smaller in both dimension & weight. Also, don't forget that compact / point & shoot cameras are really catching up.

It's inevitable but it's up to consumers to embrace them. For me when I am on to something
    where it suits me that it's a no brainer for me.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

I'm game.... so, wait and see...

Scuba & Father... For Life

The future of DSLR is not mirrorless.

It's cameraless.

We don't have any excuse for turning up in a XMM photoshoot anymore. Because we carry nothing except a bottle of water for our dry mouths.

the future of photography is a camera
    tapping data off our optical nerves (stereoscopic )
    running off power from sugar in our bloodstream.

it'll get information out by sending it to (or being part of) a smart phone type of device also embedded in us and running off blood sugar.

when that happens please don't forget I predicted it. hopefully I'll have enough lives left to see it
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    when that happens please don't forget I predicted it. hopefully I'll have enough lives left to see it
    You don't believe in reincarnation meh?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong; DSLR's weaknesses are weight and dimension. But if you attach 70-200s on full frame mirror-less like A7, it's not that small either.

The picture in Gizmodo website shows Sonar 35/2.8 prime attached to the A7. Try this:

Admittedly the difference is quite there if you attach 24-70s.

I guess the sweet spot is on crop mirror-less like A6000, EOS-M, etc; which are truly smaller in both dimension & weight. Also, don't forget that compact / point & shoot cameras are really catching up.
    Unfortunately it seems like Canon either gave up with the EOS M or are not sure what to do with it. Till date, there are only 3 lenses made for it (22mm, 18-55mm, 11-22), and one coming up (55-200), but the 11-22 isn't even sold in the US. If you use any EF or EF-S zooms on it, the whole setup becomes bulky again.

I think m4/3 or APS-C mirrorless is the way to go - hell, maybe even the Nikon 1 system. The main advantage of a mirrorless system is the size and weight, but if your lenses are still heavy and bulky, then that advantage quickly goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Unfortunately it seems like Canon either gave up with the EOS M or are not sure what to do with it. Till date, there are only 3 lenses made for it (22mm, 18-55mm, 11-22), and one coming up (55-200), but the 11-22 isn't even sold in the US. If you use any EF or EF-S zooms on it, the whole setup becomes bulky again.

I think m4/3 or APS-C mirrorless is the way to go - hell, maybe even the Nikon 1 system. The main advantage of a mirrorless system is the size and weight, but if your lenses are still heavy and bulky, then that advantage quickly goes away.
    Haha EOS-M is just an example lah, since we were talking about weight and dimension (putting other factors such as development roadmap, sensor, af performance aside).

Blog Entries

In the end, you cannot cheat physics...

FF 70-200/2.8 will always be that big. There is reason why zooms for the A7 series are all F4...

I agree with casual users on the move to mirrorless etc... but in the end, the professional industry will still use the big stuff.

i bring dslr to safra swimming pool hip my children siong, lifeguard say cannot use big camera because camera too big, make people uncomfortable
    on another day, i ask my wife to hip siong using dslr, nobody comprain
    one guy use small camera in pool hip siong, also nobody comprain

.. and F4 70-200s are not that small either

Agree.. can't cheat physics. I guess those who demand full FF sensor performance in smaller body will only switch after.. well after smaller sensors can match FF sensor performance. Other than that, it's all compromises - just like other things in life.

But even if smaller sensors can reach FF performance.. dang I love my vintage 35mm f/2 lens to stay as a true 35mm.. how to do this on smaller sensors

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

FF 70-200/2.8 will always be that big. There is reason why zooms for the A7 series are all F4...

I agree with casual users on the move to mirrorless etc... but in the end, the professional industry will still use the big stuff.

You're lucky, your wife can carry the dSLR for a while, at least to get away from the lifeguard's attention.

Imagine those single men without wife/kids/gf.. who to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustank View Post
    i bring dslr to safra swimming pool hip my children siong, lifeguard say cannot use big camera because camera too big, make people uncomfortable
    on another day, i ask my wife to hip siong using dslr, nobody comprain
    one guy use small camera in pool hip siong, also nobody comprain

DSLR can never go out of style as many paper ones are still being burnt in Hungry Ghost Festival:

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    You're lucky, your wife can carry the dSLR for a while, at least to get away from the lifeguard's attention.

Imagine those single men without wife/kids/gf.. who to carry?
    They use this:

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Yup, cannot cheat physics. I've looked at mirrorless systems and it seems like the really small setups involve primes. Zooms are still pretty big compared to their counterparts in the "traditional DSLR" systems, with some exceptions here and there.

Cheat physics cannot. But this fake rolleiflex twin "lens" can cheat swimming pool lifeguards

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

They use this:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast