Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tearing down our history - Tyersall House

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Oh bloody hell, they used my picture but never credited... those losers... oh well...

I really loved Tyersall House. Very majestic and of course nostalgic place. If only they turned it into a place of interest I bet lots of people would visit it. I think its all got to do with politics.

im looking at your photos now...nice nice....even got sentosa ones...hehehehe...
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Unhappy Re: Tearing down our history - Tyersall House

According to a friend who passed by the area today, the gates are open and lots of lorries moving in and out of the compound. I think they have really begun to tear down the place.

So if you want to have a look at this place, I suggest you do so NOW, before another piece of Singapore history gets faded into oblivion.

Dunno abt you guys, but I feel a sense of profound sadness. Big, big loss...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Tearing down our history - Tyersall House

I've been inside Tyersall Istana last time 9 August.

All the buildings there are untouched. I sneaked in from the main gate at T. Avenue. Walked the wrong way. But in the end found out the sheer size of the estate.

The Guardhouse. From the Art Deco design, I can tell the guardhouse was built in the 1920s to 1930s period.

This structure is only a few metres away from Villa Delle Rose private estate.

This is located along the road from Holland Road into the palace grounds. The location is the 'stable' site. Check 1st post on this page.

Small bungalow, on the foot of the hill (if you didn't notice, the palace is on a small hill). Slightly visible from Holland Road

Small shack near the bungalow above.

I returned a few days later hoping to get more pictures but was stopped by the foreman. When I asked he said they are repairing the estate. The jungle is being cleared and levelled with soil.

I found another, shorter way into the house, is by Holland Road. Beside the former Dragon Court apartment site, you can see 2 dirt tracks leading into the jungle, with a creepy container shack beside it. That's the other way in to the house.

Nevertheless, I'll try to go in again for more pictures.

The house at 8 August 2005

Those sounds?
    Made by excavators digging the soil.

Saw some levelling works being done on last Saturday and exposed much of the vegetation and some houses are seem to be "unveilled" due to this. There are abandoned car at one of the house when i ventured into this estate a month back.

Glad that the house are left untouched till now....

"In March 1857, Boustead and Co. advertised for sale, Tyersall, William Napier’s estate and house in the Tanglin area which covered sixty-seven acres of land.William Napier retired from the East in 1857 after a distinguished career. Napier Road is named after him and the road led to his house and his estate, Tyersall, which was built in 1854 and later replaced by New Tyersall (or Istana Tyersall), the Sultan Abu Bakar of Johor’'s (1831-1895) palatial Singapore residence.

Sometime in 1860, the property was purchased by Sultan Abu Bakar of Johor, grandson of Temenggung Abdul Rahman who had negotiated with Raffles the Singapore in 1819. Napier’s house was demolished to make way for the construction of New Tyersall in 1890.

The house was completed in 1892, and the Sultan held such a grand housewarming reception that the Singapore Free Press provided details of the architecture and fittings of the house. The rectangular building measured 210 feet long by 174 feet deep, was in the “Corinthian style of architecture… with a red tiled roof” and a seventy-feet high tower in the center topped by the Sultan’s symbolic star and crescent.

Among its key features were a spacious projected carriage porch, a grand staircase with ornamental iron balustrades, a grand reception room, a ball room, a billiard room -- and it was fitted with electric light. The installation of electricity was hailed by the Free Press as indicative of an improvement of “domestic civilization, and a marked step in the industrial progress of the Colony.” Interior-wise, the fanlights were Arabsque in design, the wood used was teak and ironwood and the building had altogether 420 doors.

New Tyersall, according to Lee Kip Lin, architect and author of The Singapore House, was one of the grandest homes built in the Victorian Eclectic idiom, combining not only gothic and classical motifs, but also some Indo-Saracenic elements into the design. In his welcoming speech, Sultan Abu Bakar announced the plans for the house had been approved by his late wife, the Sultana, and executed by the Malay architect, Datoh Yayah. Typically Singaporean, New Tyersall had a cosmopolitan character. The iron-work had been carried out mainly by the local engineering firm of Howarth Erskine,74 and some portion of it by H.C. Hogan, the contractor was Mr. Wong Ah Fook from Johore, and the upholstery was provided by John Little and Co., the “finest Store East of Suez.” Once home to drag hunts until the sultry weather outdid the imported English hounds, New Tyersall was destroyed by a fire reported at 2:45 am on September 10th, 1905. The cause of the fire was faulty electrical wiring."

This current palace was built after this, perhaps in the 1930s.
    As for the 'Red Cross hospital', the hospial was at Tyersall Camp, not Tyersall House!

Any idea what time they end the levelling works?
    Or do they have rest days?
    Or the future of the palace?

Last I heard from a friend who visited recently said there were security guards. I think you can still sneak in during the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    im looking at your photos now...nice nice....even got sentosa ones...hehehehe...
    Thanks and cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    Last I heard from a friend who visited recently said there were security guards. I think you can still sneak in during the weekends.
    24hr guard?
    Do you know what time the workers leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Please note, this is just an observsation, and does not necessarily reflect my personal feelings...

This has happened before.

Singapore doesn;t have the space to preserve history, regardless of how people feel. Historical preservation, unless it affects a much greater majority, or a great enough number of people both local AND foreign, does not fair well in the greater 'need' and scheme of development.
    i don't know where you get this idea from. as far as i know, we can still put 1 million people safely living inside our city area (i.e. CBD) without becoming congested.

when it comes to development in Singapore, land scarcity was never on my mind
    Last edited by eikin; 22nd August 2005 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    24hr guard?
    Do you know what time the workers leave?

wah from spi forum, come here oredi? hehe. =)
    welcum welcum

think maybe u wanna try late at night...think daytime....they probably bar anyone from entering, now that since it appeared in the papers....so many visiting...haaa
    One-North Explorers

OMG .. they're tearing this place down.

Sorry for being wols. Went into the estate during the night with a bunch of street mountainbikers. Really massive place. Especially the grounds. The road up was a treacherous one with fallen trees and totally overgrown. Really seemed like a haunted estate. Never really got to see it in the day time ... but its truely majestic ... and a really rich past. Its really sad to see it just disappear like that.

wah from spi forum, come here oredi? hehe. =)
    welcum welcum

think maybe u wanna try late at night...think daytime....they probably bar anyone from entering, now that since it appeared in the papers....so many visiting...haaa
    You know me?
    I'm going inside cos it's a heritage treasure!

You know me?
    I'm going inside cos it's a heritage treasure!

im everywhere...hahaha...juz in different forms.
    I suggest dun try going at night during this 7th mth period. Not nice to get into unneccessary trouble. Maybe try after this 7th mth. Hehe

i wish to visit during the day to take shots...but somehow the pressence of workers there dissuade me. How sad. haha

It's more troublesome to get into trouble with real life humans there than non-humans there. Hahahhaha
    One-North Explorers

im everywhere...hahaha...juz in different forms.
    I suggest dun try going at night during this 7th mth period. Not nice to get into unneccessary trouble. Maybe try after this 7th mth. Hehe

i wish to visit during the day to take shots...but somehow the pressence of workers there dissuade me. How sad. haha

It's more troublesome to get into trouble with real life humans there than non-humans there. Hahahhaha
    Haha... how true....
    After 7th month I'm going exploring the railway tracks.

As for Tyersall, I'll try in the evening, like 5 or 6. But I'll make myself quick for obvious reasons.

Most importantly, I'll document the place in detail, like attempt to draw floor plans and take note of architectural details.

Haha... how true....
    After 7th month I'm going exploring the railway tracks.

As for Tyersall, I'll try in the evening, like 5 or 6. But I'll make myself quick for obvious reasons.

Most importantly, I'll document the place in detail, like attempt to draw floor plans and take note of architectural details.

when will that be? care to share with me? hehe
    got plans...

are you in singapore urban explorers forum and api too? You seem to be everywhere too. Hahhaa
    One-North Explorers

Well if you want to try and preserve it, maybe you want to write into ST or Today protesting it being torn down..

when will that be? care to share with me? hehe
    got plans...

are you in singapore urban explorers forum and api too? You seem to be everywhere too. Hahhaa
    Oh, I'm in SPI forums, also SkyscraperCity forums, an architecture fan and cityscapes forum (sounds confusing huh? lol )....

Preservation. I've suggested to the URA for it's preservation and now to the Preservations Of Monuments Board.

OMG .. they're tearing this place down.

Sorry for being wols. Went into the estate during the night with a bunch of street mountainbikers. Really massive place. Especially the grounds. The road up was a treacherous one with fallen trees and totally overgrown. Really seemed like a haunted estate. Never really got to see it in the day time ... but its truely majestic ... and a really rich past. Its really sad to see it just disappear like that
    That's Singapore for you... Not the first time already, Remember the Red House at Katong?
    They are now turning it to a food court!
    No more sweet smelling cakes and porcelain cup coffee to savour and enjoy. The people only think of making more money sadly at the expense of our heritage!

I still remember the bridge that is facing sentosa, it used to be a place where people went to fish and enjoy the scenery. The place likeTyersall House is one of those places that are so not singapore, now they are tearing it down! Sad indeed.

Okay, I had just suggested Tyersall to Preservations of Monuments Board. The Board is an authority that lists our National Monuments, the highest 'honour' for any building here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast