Thread: Smiley face

Default Smiley face

This picture was taken at Haw Par Villa. I thought the large idol showing a face was quite menacing, even though it was smiling. I decided to go a bit closer, focusing on the eye and smile. The defocus effect was added using PS.

So does it look menacing? What kind of feelings do you get looking at this picture, if any?

I see it as a technically wrong photo.
    Is your OOF intentional?

If u have a sharp pic of it, try push down contrast, up the saturation... see how it looks like.

i believe this image would have taken on a very much abstract display of curves and colours if the mouth expressions were all cropped off and half the nose off also. means crop away about 2/5 of image from bottom. very abstract.

The defocus is intentional. I notice that if it is too clear, it is very obvious that it is a statue. I defocus so that the viewer has to guess whether it is a real person or a statue.

Crop more of the image would make it too abstract for my liking, but that is one possible option.

Default Re: Smiley face

i dont like the oof effect that was done to it. i think a sharper image would have been better, even though that would make it more apparent that the subject is in fact a statue. the oof effect hurts my eyes.

*scratch chin*
    I don't like guessing. That's the only comment.

I find the OOF very uncomfortable to look at. In fact I feel dizzy.

what's wrong with the photo?
    I find it quite a joyous photo actually, the red feels so happy
    the curves are so smooth and even, it's not menacing to me

Out of focus? it's the photographer's intention so I don't know why all the noise about it when he's asking for opinions on other issues in the picture

Well, I didn't expect the OOF effect to cause discomfort on the viewer. It was meant so that the viewer can focus on the shapes and colours rather than the texture, which was pretty obvious in the original photo.

So the mood is actually joyous? I didn't expect that too, coz the impression I had was a kind of weird smile when I saw the statue.

I afraid the intention of OOF is not getting the reaction you want to achieve with me. Maybe it might possibly work on a non photographer. It is great to break rules, but it is at times good to follow at least some of them, because a lot of rules are simple logic.

i like the oof effect feels like the subject is moving towards the lens. almost alive, staring in your face!

I thought that this is a very uncommon but nicely taken shot. But as oppose to being menacing, I find it kind of friendly. The OOF in my opinion would be better, reason is simple. If it was sharp it would be a boring shot.

Goot! goot!

natnivek, think you have the same sentiments as I did - if it was sharp, it would be boring.

Well, it seems that people find this face friendly instead of menacing, guess I had failed in achieving what I had set out to achieve.