Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most disgusting/unbearable aspect of a photographer's job

Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    Drive and shoot.
    So wouldn't that be called a drive-by shooting?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    So wouldn't that be called a drive-by shooting?
    Type wrongly. I meant drink and shoot.

meal times are determined by that location's sunrise/sunset/event/lighting angle timings..
    sigh.

The most disgusting thing that will ever happen to a passionate photographer:

Having someone accidentally puke on your camera!
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Most unbearable?

3 feet tall step ladder - $56
    Carbon fibre monopod - $163
    Canon 550EX - $520

Got enough height and flash power but the Twins are too far for the lens to reach - Priceless

We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    Most unbearable?

Canon 550EX - $520

Got enough height and flash power but the Twins are too far for the lens to reach - Priceless

He can touch his own chest.

Sorry ah... if you're a clubsnap member.

I think it is disgusting that there is no sign on the box saying, "Take the lens cap off first".
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I think it is disgusting that there is no sign on the box saying, "Take the lens cap off first".
    It's printed on the inner cover of your lens cap.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    It's printed on the inner cover of your lens cap.
    ROFLOL

Most excellent explanation
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

i guess the most i'd say... unbearable... is to shoot things that i dun like, or person that i hate... cos i would still have to smile at them & make them happy which does not make me happy... so i'd rather not shoot them... hence i am not a pro shooter...

my sig explains me... hahaha
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    To all working photographers out there, what do you think is the most disgusting/unbearable aspect of a photographer's job?
    I have a couple of candidates for most unbearable aspect:

1) Dealing with clients who are clueless. It drives me round the twist dealing with people who have no idea what they want and or who lack the ability to communicate their requirements.

2) Having film wrecked by a lab. This has only happened a couple of times but it's the worst feeling you can have and one of the hardest things to explain to a client.

Disgusting:

Having to take photographs of distraught relatives of someone who's died/been killed etc just after the police have called to inform them of the death. Hanging around like vultures is how I used to describe it.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Moral issues.

Especially if you're a press photographer. If a person is in pain, under attack, in distress, about to die, etc. Shoot, or help?
    Time constraints mean I can't answer this fully, so here's an abridged answer

When I was a full time press photoggapher I found moral issues to be a double edged sword.
    It was drummed in to us that as a member of the press corps you had to be professionally detached from the incidents you cover. Easy words to write, damned difficult to live up to though.

On the one hand you have a job to do, as a witness and recorder (hopefully) of the truth so you zone out, concentrate on the job at hand of capturing the moment and worry about the morality of what did do later. On the other hand you are human and there is a part of you that feels you should be doing something, anything, to bring comfort and succor to the victim(s).

Ultimately it comes down to how well you can live with your actions, or inactions and how well you can sleep at night.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Chasing clients for $ after the shoot.

PS: Anybody got contact for cheap pig's heads?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    Most unbearable?

Canon 550EX - $520

hope this guy is an official photog... cos his arse is blocking the lady to his right...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Being taken for granted and treated like a servant/maid or lower forms of life.

Especially at weddings...you gonna be the lowest ranking human....it's a thankless job when everyone treats you like dirt, including the one who hired you.

"eh ask the cameraman....EH CAMERAMAN COME HERE!!"

"ask the cameraman lor"

"where's the cameraman? why he not around to take our photo???"
    (when u had to have afew mins toilet break when you are already holding back your pee for hours grabbing the more important shots, and starving skipping meals for the event)

*curses*
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    Being taken for granted and treated like a servant/maid or lower forms of life.

Especially at weddings...you gonna be the lowest ranking human....it's a thankless job when everyone treats you like dirt, including the one who hired you.

"eh ask the cameraman....EH CAMERAMAN COME HERE!!"

"ask the cameraman lor"

"where's the cameraman? why he not around to take our photo???"
    (when u had to have afew mins toilet break when you are already holding back your pee for hours grabbing the more important shots, and starving skipping meals for the event)

*curses*
    ya esp when you did a 'free' job...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    ya esp when you did a 'free' job...

yah...i did 2 jobs for friends....i never took on any more wedding jobs for friends anymore. I suffered alot...even when friends start being rude to you at the wedding, you regret agreeing to help in the first place.

And i hate being called a "cameraman". Somehow some black sheep photographers out there really lower themselves so much during weddings in the sake of 'customer service' (where's the pride?!!?), that people take it as 'usual' for photographers to grovel like pigs at weddings trying to please everybody. It's such a stereotypical view.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    After a shoot went well, client tell you he on a dead line ask you to hurry. But not only that. The thing I found to the most disgusting after you rush the works for them, the payment for me take forever to come.
    That's really sucks man! I just hate this kind of bast***s!

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    telling my models to take off their pants....
    eeeehehehehe.
    having to make ugly people look good
    1 Telling models to take the pants off - that's pleasurable!

2 Having to make ugly people look good - that's disgusting!

when I'm shooting film:
    Shot the first pol. for the client to approve.Than for the next 30 mins, doing other pol shot with diff angle and lighting change because the client do not know what they want. And after all the change they said they want the first shot and ask you to shoot the first pol on film.

When shooting on film:
    Client say they got no time to come for the shoot at the last min. So they want you to email the images for them to approve before the final shot. A job that takes 30 mins can go on for 2 hrs. And after that they said that this job got no moola so cannot give more.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast