Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Travel Photo Backup

  1. #21
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    I have a very bad experience using this WD wireless portable HDD. It can only upload 10GB of data from the SD card into this HDD. How the data was transferred and saved into folders are bad too.
    Anyone bought this HDD? How is your opinion on this?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    It can only upload 10GB of data from the SD card into this HDD. How the data was transferred and saved into folders are bad too.
    Can elaborate? What was bad about the data transfer and folder saving? The 10GB limit sounds odd.

    I think you may find few owners of this product here, since it's fairly new. You can try posting on the WD forum, there's a section dedicated to this product: http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passpo...-p/pp_wireless

  3. #23

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    I have a very bad experience using this WD wireless portable HDD. It can only upload 10GB of data from the SD card into this HDD. How the data was transferred and saved into folders are bad too.
    Anyone bought this HDD? How is your opinion on this?
    I have recently use the WD Wireless for my family holiday to Taiwan, was easy to use, no such limitation as you have mentioned. I backup each night and it only copy new files to HD. The files were backup into folder by SD card name and kept it that way so that it won't duplicate again each time I use the same SD card.

    I used up 2 x 32GB and 3 x 16GB of SD cards, all backup nicely.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polar28 View Post
    I have recently use the WD Wireless for my family holiday to Taiwan, was easy to use, no such limitation as you have mentioned. I backup each night and it only copy new files to HD. The files were backup into folder by SD card name and kept it that way so that it won't duplicate again each time I use the same SD card. I used up 2 x 32GB and 3 x 16GB of SD cards, all backup nicely.
    Wow! Nice to hear. I am also looking at this. This local review will be good.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    I have 3 units each 3TB. Two for backup of photos via wireless thru my PC network (2nd backup to my NAS) and the other I have set it up to wirelessly upload from my Sony Android smartphone each time I got home and within range. Automatically starts without me doing anything and have never failed even if I had shot a lot of photo and videos to upload. There are no indication of limitation set into it like what you describe as far as I know for almost 2 years of owning them.

    But have seen online some time ago of 1-2 people who complained of uploading problems to do with not being able to upload more then 2 GB at a time or something like that.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    There are no indication of limitation set into it like what you describe as far as I know for almost 2 years of owning them.
    Hmm, maybe you're referring to a different range? The one e69087 is referring to should be the one mentioned in post #18, with built-in SD card slot. Thought it was only released Q3/Q4 this year.

  7. #27
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    Ah okay.. think I know which one now... mine is not with the SD slot. Thought he meant he uploaded it via a network connection or wireless. My are the previous ones without the SD slot.
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  8. #28
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default

    I just came back from a 2 weeks family vacation trip. Before the trip I was busy at work. I wanted to get the WD my passport portable HDD with a SD card slot to back up my photos during the trip.
    I found Asus has a similar product but at a cheaper price. But then I found it can only back up about 10% of the total content on the SD card. I don't know why neither is the shop owner, he allows me to swap to the WD HDD. I tested it in his shop and it seems fine but it took almost 30-45min (I think) to back up 10GB of data. Thereafter I rushed off to the airport for my vacation. During the trip, i then realized it can only at one time back up max 10GB of data.

  9. #29
    Member e69087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    402

    Default

    I emailed to WD, they asked me to upgrade to the latest firmware but I don't want to try doing that in the field. I was mostly using 16GB SD cards, lucky enough the last 6GB of data can be transferred by re-insert the SD card and then click import.
    The other thing is new pic could be saved into an old folder. I need to search to ensure they are transferred.
    Since there's no screen for displaying info, just 2 LEDs, so need to know what color/blinking means what the HDD is doing at that moment.
    Definitely need a smartphone or a tablet to connect with it to check the content, to ensure pic are safety imported into it.
    Last edited by e69087; 27th December 2014 at 02:42 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by e69087 View Post
    I emailed to WD, they asked me to upgrade to the latest firmware but I don't want to try doing that in the field. I was mostly using 16GB SD cards, lucky enough the last 6GB of data can be transferred by re-insert the SD card and then click import.
    The other thing is new pic could be saved into an old folder. I need to search to ensure they are transferred.
    Since there's no screen for displaying info, just 2 LEDs, so need to know what color/blinking means what the HDD is doing at that moment.
    Definitely need a smartphone or a tablet to connect with it to check the content, to ensure pic are safety imported into it.
    Thanks for the update. It was for that last part you mentioned that always haunts me for years saving my photos, locally or oversea. A notebook is a must for mobile backup along with a reliable external HDD. that way, I can view and manage what I upload to the ext HDD than to trust something that only show me a flashing LED light that indicates it's done "something".

    I had had something similar some time ago to backup stuff from my mobile thru a USB short cable. One of those time I use it, something went wrong half way and i had no way to know what happen but to restart. But that means I end up duplicating something over again or had a situation where it refuse to carry on a new upload over. And that was with a cable not wireless. After that. I made it a point never to leave for a trip without a notebook. Not hard since i like to get super slim and light notebooks for my work and moving in and out of office. And I prefer connection with a USB 3 cable, the uploading is pretty fast. Set it up and go take a shower, come out and it's done. And I use 32 and 64gig cards. I still use USB 3 card readers as I use QXD and CF cards.... and not SDs which is bad since my Sony notebook comes with a SD slot heheheh..
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,436

    Default

    Thanks for the updates, guys. Was aiming for the WD wireless SD Hdd. Your field report is very useful.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Travel Photo Backup

    FYI, for anyone who's still looking for a solution. I ran into this need on a trip some months ago. Basically, I didn't want to lug a laptop around.

    Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2
    http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/..._readers#mlwg2



    Discovered this device, it's an alternative option to those HDDs with built-in wireless + SD card slot. Worked well enough for me. It's not perfect (which device is anyway). Wished the app implementation was better and more refined, but still managed to do what I set out to do - copy files off SD cards while travelling. For me the main reason to try this was that the all-in-one solution (wd wireless passport with integrated sdcard slot) still seems costly, for the amount of storage you get.

    This was quite affordable if you purchase via amazon (around US$30+). Local selling price the last time I looked was around $90-$100+, but that does include local warranty. Should be able to use it with any existing 2.5" ext hdd you have (up to 2tb I think), or even a thumbdrive. Plus you can attach a card reader and read various types of cards too. Not restricted to just SD cards. Overall, a pretty handy and useful tool. Most importantly, doesn't break the bank.

  13. #33

    Default

    http://go.iogear.com/lp/mediashair/

    another similar device i use together with 2.5" portable harddisk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •