Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

  1. #1
    Member mexican88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    340

    Default Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    Hi guys, so I am using an E-P5 with the 42.5mm f1.2 lens. When I upload the pictures to my laptop, which is a retina macbook pro, the pictures are smooth and what seems to be of high quality.

    Then when I connect my macbook pro through a HD cable to my LG HDTV, suddenly on the same pictures, what I don't see on my rmbp is glaring at me on the HDTV. Example, night shots exposes a lot of noise in the HDTV but I see almost none of it on my RMBP, and also, images on my RMBP appears smooth and life like whereas the HDTV renders the edges to be jagged, making it look like it was taken with a cheap camera.

    This is my setup here so I have a side by side comparison.



    Which one is telling the accurate picture? Meaning, when I print, which of the display shows the closest to what I should expect? I'm making a photobook (about A3 size on some landscape pictures) of my gf using the pictures taken with this E-P5 and I really hope to not receive a nasty surprise when the book arrives!

    Comments?
    E-M5II | P12-32 | S19 | PLS25 | P42.5 | S60 | O14-150II

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post
    Then when I connect my macbook pro through a HD cable to my LG HDTV, suddenly on the same pictures, what I don't see on my rmbp is glaring at me on the HDTV. Example, night shots exposes a lot of noise in the HDTV but I see almost none of it on my RMBP, and also, images on my RMBP appears smooth and life like whereas the HDTV renders the edges to be jagged, making it look like it was taken with a cheap camera.
    My guess is that the output from the mbpr is getting downscaled to fit HD, resulting in the aliasing. The other issues could be simply due to different screen settings (brightness/gamma/colour space, etc) and specifications (gamut, colour profile, etc).

    Try playing with the different setting options?

    Adjusting your display

    Use System Preferences > Displays to adjust or scale the resolution on your display. This can make text and objects appear larger or give you more space on your screen.



    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6008

    If that doesn't work, try this: Force RGB mode in Mac OS X to fix the picture quality of an external monitor

    via: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

    Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post

    Which one is telling the accurate picture? Meaning, when I print, which of the display shows the closest to what I should expect? I'm making a photobook (about A3 size on some landscape pictures) of my gf using the pictures taken with this E-P5 and I really hope to not receive a nasty surprise when the book arrives!

    Comments?
    Neither really... But if I had to pick one I'd generally depend on the native display, not the external as there are more variables to consider, basically you don't know if anything went wrong along the way (unless you have calibrated and matched both). If you used the vendor's software (designed to be WYSIWYG generally) to layout the photobook and upload the files as the vendor intended, and it looks fine on your mbp, you shouldn't get any surprises related to this issue. The only sure way to tell is to do test prints. In that sense, your first order with this vendor serves as the 'test'. E.g., If your prints turn out slightly darker/muted than they look on screen (which is common as screens are backlit and prints are not), you can take that into consideration when processing your images for future books.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 5th October 2014 at 05:01 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post
    Which one is telling the accurate picture?
    The one that is calibrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post
    Meaning, when I print, which of the display shows the closest to what I should expect?
    None, print calibration is a different story and not related to sceen calibration. Although, without calibrating the screen first it's impossible to have print calibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican88 View Post
    Comments?
    You are sitting way too close to your tv screen. It is not meant to be watched from this short distance.

    Thread moved to Digital Darkroom.
    Last edited by Octarine; 5th October 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    IMHO, I would trust the output of the RMBP better anytime over the LG. The mega size TV panel is not really optimized for color-aware applications in terms of color accuracy, temperature, tint and gamut. Most if not all TV makers tend to oversaturate the colors (even at factory default settings) to make it pop and look nicer to the potential consumer.

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    Quote Originally Posted by user12343 View Post
    IMHO, I would trust the output of the RMBP better anytime over the LG. The mega size TV panel is not really optimized for color-aware applications in terms of color accuracy, temperature, tint and gamut. Most if not all TV makers tend to oversaturate the colors (even at factory default settings) to make it pop and look nicer to the potential consumer.
    And the Mac Book display does not? The entire retina stuff is nothing but a massive hardware tweak to make colours pop. But any serious attempt of image editing must circumvent these measures and work on a display that shows exactly and only what is coded in the bits and bytes of the images. No calibration, no talk.
    EOS

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which display is telling the truth? rMBP or HDTV?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And the Mac Book display does not? The entire retina stuff is nothing but a massive hardware tweak to make colours pop. But any serious attempt of image editing must circumvent these measures and work on a display that shows exactly and only what is coded in the bits and bytes of the images. No calibration, no talk.
    Not saying that the rMBP colors are perfectly calibrated per se, but they are more accurate out of the box. with proper cal and profiling tools, the rmbp can render even more accurate colors which i doubt any general hdtv display can be tweaked much
    Last edited by user12343; 12th October 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •