Thread: Need Tips for an ROM shoot

Default Need Tips for an ROM shoot

Hey guys, I'll be doing an ROM shoot for my friend in December!

Seeing as it would be my first time shooting at an ROM, I need some advice on equipment, tips for the event!

By December I would have upgraded my body to a d7100 from a d60, I've a 35mm, and 18-55 lens. And will get a speedlight when I get my body too.

I would greatly appreciate the advice of you guys especially those whom have done ROM before!

Quote Originally Posted by kinderboeno View Post
    Hey guys, I'll be doing an ROM shoot for my friend in December!

Seeing as it would be my first time shooting at an ROM, I need some advice on equipment, tips for the event!

By December I would have upgraded my body to a d7100 from a d60, I've a 35mm, and 18-55 lens. And will get a speedlight when I get my body too.

I would greatly appreciate the advice of you guys especially those whom have done ROM before!
    i suggest you understand your new body first. google for rom photos, understand what is necessary to take, check our your friends programme breakdown, go thru it and know what you need to shoot.

Check with your friends what they hope to see after the ceremony.

Yeah doing that now! Googling sample images and stuff. Their programme isn't finalised so I'll wait till its finalised then I'll move on from there.

Default Re: Need Tips for an ROM shoot

where will the ceremony be held?
    if it is in one of the solemnization rooms at at ROM building, than very good luck to you, is golden ceiling with very warm lighting, the spot for photographer to shoot is very tight, and you can't move around during the ceremony since it is very short, you will be better off shooting with the widest end of your kit lens.
    btw, usually family members and friends also shooting with phones and tablets at the same time, so watch out their hands, tablets and phone stick into your frame, or blocking your view.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Practice like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Practice like mad.
    practice with what?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    practice with what?
    With his/her new toys!

My bad. On hindsight, my post wasn't very helpful. What I really meant, was that since TS mentioned getting all these new gear only during the month of the shoot, should remember to familiarize him/herself with all the new toys as much as possible before the actual event. I recall going to D40 to D7000 wasn't difficult, but it did take time to get used to the new layout/handling and set it up just the way I wanted... E.g., A bunch of new options that weren't available on the d40/60 — Drive mode dial, top LCD, 3 AF points to 51 AF points, so many more custom settings, U1/U2 banks etc.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 1st October 2014 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    where will the ceremony be held?
    if it is in one of the solemnization rooms at at ROM building, than very good luck to you, is golden ceiling with very warm lighting, the spot for photographer to shoot is very tight, and you can't move around during the ceremony since it is very short, you will be better off shooting with the widest end of your kit lens.
    btw, usually family members and friends also shooting with phones and tablets at the same time, so watch out their hands, tablets and phone stick into your frame, or blocking your view.
    I was thinking the same thing! I've been to the ROM building before and I realised that the rooms are so small, standing at the corner of the room to shoot seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post

With his/her new toys!

My bad. On hindsight, my post wasn't very helpful. What I really meant, was that since TS mentioned getting all these new gear only during the month of the shoot, should remember to familiarize him/herself with all the new toys as much as possible before the actual event. I recall going to D40 to D7000 wasn't difficult, but it did take time to get used to the new layout/handling and set it up just the way I wanted... E.g., A bunch of new options that weren't available on the d40/60 — Drive mode dial, top LCD, 3 AF points to 51 AF points, so many more custom settings, U1/U2 banks etc.
    Yes! I figured I'll be using alot of the U1 & 2 banks alot! Hopefully my D7100 iso performance will allow me more allowance to shoot abit better indoors without flash!

Yes! I figured I'll be using alot of the U1 & 2 banks alot! Hopefully my D7100 iso performance will allow me more allowance to shoot abit better indoors without flash!
    be ready with UWA lens might help...

Quote Originally Posted by tuwinkk View Post

be ready with UWA lens might help...
    Not a good idea, someone too close to the camera at the sides of frame will turn into alian heads.

Yeah haha! There's only so much light room can correct. But UWA would be super useful. Was considering renting one for the day to use.

Yeah haha! There's only so much light room can correct. But UWA would be super useful. Was considering renting one for the day to use.
    A couple of stuffs to take note...
    - Like others have mentioned, the ceremony is very short, I really doubt you have time to change lens during the ceremony. Personally, I find 18mm (on crop) sufficient. It's also very important to know your equipment well, you won't have time to look at the menus on how to change X or change Y when the event starts.

- Also as mentioned earlier, the lighting there will be an issue if you intend to fire flash. Daylight and the warm lights there doesn't play nice.

- I note that you do not have a flash yet... But I hope you have some experience with it. Apart from knowing how to change your camera settings, you need to also know how the flash will affect the scene when bounced at a different angle and stuffs. Not forgetting those ITTL metering stuffs and the quirks if any.

*If you intend to solely depend on your ISO for exposure without flash, I wish you luck. PP can't save everything...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

kit lens, ceiling bounce.

also helpful if you can discuss some key shots you would like to make with the couple
    you can then ask them to pause (don't be shy) while doing these key moments (eg, ring presentation, signing documents, putting on ring, exit walk, etc)and also to ask your couple to marshal the relatives they want to take photos with
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人