Thread: Any Hoya HD/HD2 filter owner can help ?

Default Any Hoya HD/HD2 filter owner can help ?

Hi,

I'm trying to find out the exact Effective Thickness of the frame (exclude inner thread length) of the Hoya HD filter for UV or protector.
    Any owner can help to advise ?
    Also, is the outer thread deep enough to stack another filter of the same size ?

Tried googling, none mention the actual thickness other than saying its slim, but how slim ?

Thanks
    Last edited by human1969; 30th September 2014 at 08:47 PM.

Default Re: Any Hoya HD/HD2 filter owner can help ?

Looking at your second question .. bad idea. Stacking filters should be avoided. It can cause vignetting, flare and filters get easily stuck in this way.
    Which makes we wonder: for what purpose do you need to know the thickness of the filter glass? How would an answer of let's say 0.8mm or 1mm matter? Mind to share your thoughts?
    Last edited by Octarine; 30th September 2014 at 08:11 PM.
    EOS

JUST REMOVE the UV or protector filter if you want use any other filter at the same time.

it won't take you more than 5 mins to so, and if you want a good photo, it is worth to take the extra efforts.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Looking at your second question .. bad idea. Stacking filters should be avoided. It can cause vignetting, flare and filters get easily stuck in this way.
    Which makes we wonder: for what purpose do you need to know this? Mind to share your thoughts?
    Hi,

i just want to ascertain it has 'regular' outer thread and not something bigger which i heard off and using custom cover.
    I'm a 'open source' guy, hate using any non-standard design.

While stacking is never recommended, its good to know you have that flexibility if situation calls for it.

Rgds

I'm referring to the edge thickness, not the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    JUST REMOVE the UV or protector filter if you want use any other filter at the same time.

it won't take you more than 5 mins to so, and if you want a good photo, it is worth to take the extra efforts.

Understand that,
    Sometime situation (time/weather) just doesn't allow it,
    and i insist on a 'quickie' rather than nothing.

Not so nice to keep a busload of people waiting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by human1969 View Post
    i just want to ascertain it has 'regular' outer thread and not something bigger which i heard off and using custom cover.
    I'm a 'open source' guy, hate using any non-standard design.
    I only heard about filters with thin thread. In this case, one cannot stack any other filter on top. It is only sufficient to hold the lens cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by human1969 View Post
    While stacking is never recommended, its good to know you have that flexibility if situation calls for it.
    When using lenses I am 'nudist with a hood' Yes, initially I also got those filters ('lens condoms') but two incidents later it was hood only, and it remains this way. Filters are meant to modify the light. Protection is better achieved by other means.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I only heard about filters with thin thread. In this case, one cannot stack any other filter on top. It is only sufficient to hold the lens cap.

Hey Octarine,

From what you describe, is B+W XS-Pro series a good example ?
    I only have the F-Pro, the frame is 4.5mm thick.

Rgds

whether is slim filter or normal filters, it will have filter thread allow user to use lens cap on the filter, since you can use a lens cap, which mean you can add another filter on to it.
    only when the filters come with own lens cap, than you can't attach any filter on top of this filter, since they don't have filter thread.

FYI, you are worry the attaching filter will drop and want be 100% sure, best just email filter manufactures to find out.
    Last edited by catchlights; 1st October 2014 at 06:37 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio