Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to find wedding photographer - ask him what kind of cam he use!?

This list is not from local, I came across this list many years back, I used this list to set a bench mark for myself last time before, but it don't really show how the way we work here.

Can you image a couple bring this list and ask you some unrealistic questions.. I can't even remember how many couples I shot......
    YOU WANT TO SEE ALL MY WORKS?

DO I USE HASSELBLAD FOR WEDDING DAY?

HOW MANY WEDDING I SHOOT ON A WEEKEND?

OMG!!!

just ans lor..

most are just asking for fun, asking to get more confidence in u, asking to CHAT...

*shrug*

at least they ask and talk to u lor.

better than after seeing ur work. they look at u blankly and say.. "ok thanx, u can go now"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    I should say, I stop providing free service liao

Bcos I wanted to give good photos, thus, I will only start charging when I am confident.

Maybe D200 will boost my confidence
    Very funny leh, not boost you confidence lar... maybe only you ego. hahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    As I stated in a few previous threads,

if the bride really asked qn 10, I'll have to reply by asking this question, "U look exceptionally beautiful today. What makeup did u use?". with a cheeky[ ]

haha...

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    As I stated in a few previous threads,

if the bride really asked qn 10, I'll have to reply by asking this question, "U look exceptionally beautiful today. What makeup did u use?". with a cheeky[ ]

try saying "don't worry, your grandma can't do the job better than I can..."

but of course that's if you're thinking about quitting the line

In America, wedding photographers also have many are weekend warriors aka moonlighting aka part-timers.

Ang Moh wedding event only last a few hours, just like our ROM or church wedding ceremony here, average is 3~5 hours duration, so photographers one weekend can shoot 2~3 weddings, and some wedding events is cover by assistant, the main photographers only shoot the key moment shots and rush off to the next wedding. June is the peak season for wedding, many photographers and assistants needed in this short season.

So some wedding couples also want cheap cheap things, so thatís how this list came about, is meant for less known photographers, not target to ask some well establish photographers.

guess the equipment thing is that the couples might end up getting a photographer with a P&S cam??

PY, for the next pool/thread, maybe u wanna focus on what/how is the best way to clinch a deal with new couple seeking yuor photography services.

Den like dis, all the D2x, D100, 1DMkII, 1DsMkII only qualified to be wedding photographer.

The rest can all fug off.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Den like dis, all the D2x, D100, 1DMkII, 1DsMkII only qualified to be wedding photographer.

The rest can all fug off.
    nah....only MF will do. all the DSLRs can fug off.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

After all these questions, the couple's budget is $500. Based on my experience in a different line (non-photography), people with high budget are easier to work with and people with low budget will never be satisfied and will try to keep getting more and more of their money's worth. Kiasu style.

" this is the song that never ends.. and it goes on and on my friend.....some people... started singing...."

Glad to see they are still talking about film. I think you should get a Leica and Hassleblad then no one will question your capabilites.

with regards to Q11. I used a 055ProB. I'll position the tripod on the stage facing the crowd and use a remote to trigger throughout the whole night muahahahah . one damn kayu question

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    Glad to see they are still talking about film. I think you should get a Leica and Hassleblad then no one will question your capabilites.
    Are you sure or not?

I have seem many using big big nice nice camera, but end up got no photo to deliver.....

Here are some of my answers. Don't know can pass or not?

1. What's the photographer's primary style -- traditional, candid, or posed? (Go for someone whose forte is your favorite style.)
    SPS type. See, Point then Shoot.

2. What's the photographer's philosophy about shooting weddings?
    He subscribes to the philosophy of the more $ paid the better.

4. How independent is the photographer? Does she prefer that you describe exactly what you want, or would she rather have free rein to capture the festivities on film?
    He wife lets him go out alone. That's how independent he is.

6. Has the photographer shot many weddings?
    He has shot only two weddings but sat and ate in a lot more weddings as a guest.

7. How many weddings will the photographer shoot on your wedding weekend (or even on your wedding day)?
    How many legs you think he has?

9. How does the photographer determine price?
    By the type of watch the groom wears.

10. What kinds of cameras does the photographer use?
    Holga.

11. What kind of lighting and other equipment (such as tripods) does the photographer use?Does the photographer bring backup equipment in case of emergency?
    Sunlight the cheapest light source. Backup? Where to get another sun?

I like you answer of 11.

1. What's the photographer's primary style -- traditional, candid, or posed? (Go for someone whose forte is your favorite style.)

- He walks around like the wind, sees something he likes, snaps, then strolls away like he wa never there.

2. What's the photographer's philosophy about shooting weddings? (This question will give you an idea of the shutterbug's expertise and passion for his work.)

- As long as he is not kicked in the nuts by the little children, he is happy.

3. Does the photographer shoot in color, black and white, or both?

- Both.(no silly jokes here lol)

4. How independent is the photographer? Does she prefer that you describe exactly what you want, or would she rather have free rein to capture the festivities on film? (This point determines how you two will work together.)

- Independant enough to walk around like a streetshooter who has a go-everywhere VIP pass

5. Will the photographer you talk with be the one who actually takes your wedding pictures? (This is crucial! Each photographer's style is unique.)

- Non-sequitur.If you found a photographer, chances are, you would have talked to him/her.

6. Has the photographer shot many weddings? (Experts say a wedding neophyte is a risk. You want someone who's experienced with wedding mechanics and won't miss key moments.)

- I have shot wedding portraits, not shot a wedding like killing kangaroos with a hunting rifle.

7. How many weddings will the photographer shoot on your wedding weekend (or even on your wedding day)?

- Depends on if he has a helicopter on stand-by.

8. Is the photographer open to a list of must-take photos (pictures you definitely want shot)?

- He is a photo-artist.And he is cranky.

9. How does the photographer determine price? By the number and kind of prints you think you'll want, the hours the photographer spends on your wedding, the developing time, or a combination of the above factors? How many rolls of film will be shot, and how many proofs and final prints will result? Are packages available? Can you get a price list?

- By the amount of doting the mother-in-law showers on the groom

10. What kinds of cameras does the photographer use? (This will acquaint you with the photographer's experience and knowledge.)

- He has used all sorts.Take your pic.

---

Disclaimer, I'm tired, hallucinatory and going crazy.So don't take me seriously
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Paul, I'm not sure if you are reading that list in the right light. Such questions could be posed to ascertain if the photographer shoots in a certain format. For example, MF over 35mm, digital versus film. It could be that the couple may want certain types of shots which may be best suited to certain equipment.

As for the question about accessories, perhaps some couples might be interested in taking location portraits whereby tripods, light stands, strobes etc may be required.

I think you're reading too much into the question and perhaps a lot of this could be due to the recent thread about the guy questioning the professionalism of a wedding photographer using a consumer DSLR.

I would think that folks who are unfamiliar with photography would find the list of questions helpful in specifying their requirements to their wedding photog.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    In America, wedding photographers also have many are weekend warriors aka moonlighting aka part-timers.

Ang Moh wedding event only last a few hours, just like our ROM or church wedding ceremony here, average is 3~5 hours duration, so photographers one weekend can shoot 2~3 weddings, and some wedding events is cover by assistant, the main photographers only shoot the key moment shots and rush off to the next wedding. June is the peak season for wedding, many photographers and assistants needed in this short season.

So some wedding couples also want cheap cheap things, so thatís how this list came about, is meant for less known photographers, not target to ask some well establish photographers.
    Thats quite true lah.... But the if kena Latino wedding... thats the worse of all.... its whole day.... from morning, to the party in the evening... and in many occcassons also got go out on location shoot on same day... somemore not bride and groom only.. its whole family clan also tag along..... hehehe

Also with regards to Point 11, they got wierd things happening on weddings... Since they dun get Ang Pows they have wierd ways to offset the cost of weddings.... e.g. "honeymoon dance" you pay xxx dollars to dance with bride.... and in some cases they will set up a scenery with proper lightings and then collect money from guests who wants to have a pic taken with the newly wed.... to do that they will need photographer to provide some stuff like lights and hopefully some props.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast