View Poll Results: Will you volunteer for NS if not call up?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

51 68.00%
  • Yes

19 25.33%
  • Dunno

5 6.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you volunteer for National Service if not call up?

National service? What is that? Can it be eaten?

Mine is 2.5 years, way back in 1994.. Actually I don't mind volunteering for early enlist. The NS duration is still the same, no matter when one is enlisted. The earlier enlisted, the earlier one can ORD. However, one does not mean he love the country for volunteering to enlist early. It's a matter of practicality. For me, after 2.5 years in NS, I don't think I love the country more, or less. It just a phase me as Singaporean has to go through. If given the choice, I would want to opt out of NS. I mean, come on, 2.5 years of my prime life spent in the Army, was silly, one being the peanut pay. The only good thing NS gave me is my hardcore true friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    its 2 years flat liao... its been a long time.
    Not longer than 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    National service? What is that? Can it be eaten?
    No, the salary is enough to take transport only. ( if got book out daily maybe not enough )
    Yes, if the salary is more than $3000 per month.

no because i realise i am serving a nation of ingrates who say men shld serve NS right after they fight for sexual equality

Quote Originally Posted by amospi
    No, the salary is enough to take transport only. ( if got book out daily maybe not enough )
    Yes, if the salary is more than $3000 per month.
    22k/mth with 12 month bonus for yes. as our minister mentor always says, if you dun pay well, the talented people will not work.

Haha I did when they did not call me up for reservist for 7 years and even than they only call me up after 11 years. Somemore not down graded. Their reason, I have no unit !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Haha I did when they did not call me up for reservist for 7 years and even than they only call me up after 11 years. Somemore not down graded. Their reason, I have no unit !!!!
    looks like you are damm suay. remember you have to return what you owe, unless you die.

I did my NS back in 1970s. I would gladly do it again back then BUT not now. When I did NS, I did for sake of Singapore, for my family and for my community and our way of life. Now, we've so much FT around I'm beginning to question who I am protecting Singapore for? My children? Hell, the FT will out number them and push them out of Singapore because they cannot compete with FT on salary! FT will save their earnings here to spend at home where they get great mileage whereas locals has no second home to fall back on. They'll inturn be FT elsewhere. PRs seems to gets better deal than SC. Many of colleagues thought of upgrading from SC to PR. This is my take. Others may think I'm way-off mark but hell, that's what I think.

BTW, think if not call up, it is still your responsibility to go register when your time is up. If not, think govt can charge you and all that crap... better check with mindef anonymous before you "act blur"

i wonder who is the guys who say yes?

I SALUTE!!!
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

I chose yes, but I would do it with the Singapore Police Force.
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

=(

i am already serving the nation... in my own way...

*sob*

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago
    no because i realise i am serving a nation of ingrates who say men shld serve NS right after they fight for sexual equality
    You sound like the ingrates you mean are females.

So,
    1) I never believed in Complete GENDER equality (maybe you DID mean sexual..... hmmm.) It is simply not achievable. There will be things that favours men more, and stuff that favours women more.

2) I am a Female Regular.

Anymore disparaging remarks?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverelf
    You sound like the ingrates you mean are females.

So,
    1) I never believed in Complete GENDER equality (maybe you DID mean sexual..... hmmm.) It is simply not achievable. There will be things that favours men more, and stuff that favours women more.

2) I am a Female Regular.

Anymore disparaging remarks?
    are you serving your country as a career or free volunteer? how much is your pay? mine was 250/mth years back before i ord.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbeng
    are you serving your country as a career or free volunteer? how much is your pay? mine was 250/mth years back before i ord.
    1) There is no free volunteer. You are paid either a salary or an allowance
    2) I was referring to the possibility that he might be talking about females, since he was talking about gender equality.
    I was merely giving my background for greater understanding of where I speak from.

i tot its possible for females to volunteer for NS?
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    i tot its possible for females to volunteer for NS?
    No need to volunteer, everything you did in Singapore are already a National Service with a fees..

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Will you volunteer for 2.5 years NS + 7 high keys ICT + ippt + weekend bctc training if not call up?
    you mean for Singaporean/PR males reaching 16 1/2 or 18 years old who are required to serve NS under the law? well, do whatever you want, just don't get caught for doing the wrong thing

True. But it is not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    NS is probably the only time in our life that we can make some real good (and truthful) friends.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast