Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Neck Strap

Default Camera Neck Strap

The default neck strap that came with Nikon D7100 is killing me.

Can recommend me a comfortable neck strap?

My consideration:
    $50 budget or slightly more.
    Must not be too broad/thick until hard to keep in my small bag.
    Hopefully do not get into the way of looking at the OVF when I shoot in portrait orientation.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Default Re: Camera Neck Strap

The neck strap is the first that goes when I get a camera
    Beside this, I use Optech straps. Flexible (it bounces a bit so you don't feel the weight) and you can remove the broad cushioned center part and get a short hand strap. Best you go to the shops and try. Orient Phot has a good selection in the shop, other might have as well.
    EOS

If you're looking for something more fashionable strap, the shop beside the Funan 1st floor Subway has quite a few choices! The shop is called Riceball IIRC, they sell books and camera accessories!

Here's their facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/RiceballPhotoBook/
    Last edited by ahblack; 26th September 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Beside this, I use Optech straps. Flexible (it bounces a bit so you don't feel the weight) and you can remove the broad cushioned center part and get a short hand strap. Best you go to the shops and try. Orient Phot has a good selection in the shop, other might have as well.
    totally agree
    my camera felt so different

I'm not petite but have issues with heavy loads
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

I don't get what u mean by short hand strap. Does it mean it will wrap around my right palm?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    I don't get what u mean by short hand strap. Does it mean it will wrap around my right palm?
    You can sling it around your right hand - or your left hand (depending on your preference).
    Below a pic of what I have. As you can see, there are plastic clips in the strap. This allows to unhook the center part (e.g. for washing). You can click them together without the center part and you will geta short strap. Fits nicely around my right hand wrist but also easy to let go for portrait orientation.
    Attachment 4872
    Last edited by Octarine; 27th September 2014 at 12:15 AM.
    EOS

What's the weight of your setup?

Been using Joby Convertible for some months http://joby.com/camera-straps/convertible-neck-strap/

I like the convertible option, plus it's fairly low key and low profile. Strap at its widest end is 25mm, but I imagine it might not be wide enough to be comfortable for a heavier setup, even though they claim the strap itself can support heavier setups.

How much weight can the Convertible Neck Strap support?
    We don't put a camera weight limit on our camera straps because they can easily support the weight of even the heaviest professional DSLR cameras. The Convertible Neck Strap has passed weight tests with over 100 lbs static load.

http://joby.com/camera-straps/conver...ck-strap/#help
    Besides, given enough weight and time, anything above 1kg hanging on the neck is going to end uncomfortable unless you have a neck like Brock Lesnar's . If you carry for long periods around the neck, consider a cross strap. If it's for short bursts of usage, while it is mostly stowed in the bag you mentioned, a thinner option like the Joby Convertible should be fine.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 27th September 2014 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    What's the weight of your setup?

Been using Joby Convertible for some months http://joby.com/camera-straps/convertible-neck-strap/

I like the convertible option, plus it's fairly low key and low profile. Strap at its widest end is 25mm, but I imagine it might not be wide enough to be comfortable for a heavier setup, even though they claim the strap itself can support heavier setups.

Besides, given enough weight and time, anything above 1kg hanging on the neck is going to end uncomfortable unless you have a neck like Brock Lesnar's . If you carry for long periods around the neck, consider a cross strap. If it's for short bursts of usage, while it is mostly stowed in the bag you mentioned, a thinner option like the Joby Convertible should be fine.
    Mine is D7100 + grip + 105 vr. Think around 2kg? I don't have Brock Lesnar's neck because he got no neck. Mine is probably Kermit the Frog's neck.

The convertible idea is good but I suddenly think of getting one that can easily convert from neck strap to cross body sling. Is there such product? It will be more useful as I think there's no way the ovf will not be blocked by neck strap. Converting to wrist strap is not my style.

You can sling it around your right hand - or your left hand (depending on your preference).
    Below a pic of what I have. As you can see, there are plastic clips in the strap. This allows to unhook the center part (e.g. for washing). You can click them together without the center part and you will geta short strap. Fits nicely around my right hand wrist but also easy to let go for portrait orientation.
    Thanks for your recommendation. As mentioned above wrist strap is not my style, but great idea.

Mine is D7100 + grip + 105 vr. Think around 2kg? I don't have Brock Lesnar's neck because he got no neck. Mine is probably Kermit the Frog's neck.

The convertible idea is good but I suddenly think of getting one that can easily convert from neck strap to cross body sling. Is there such product? It will be more useful as I think there's no way the ovf will not be blocked by neck strap. Converting to wrist strap is not my style.
    I doubt there is a product that can easily allow you to convert from neck strap to cross sling. Most of the neck strap I've seen is attached to the 2 sides of the camera body while for the cross sling, they are attached either to 1 side of the camera and the tripod mount. Also the neck strap is considerably shorter than the cross sling... So even if such product exists, you may have to adjust the length which I find is a chore to do.

At the moment, I prefer using cross sling over neck sling.. (I also have Frog's neck, but a 70-200 still kills my neck). When in cross sling position, so far it never block my OVF. But Nowadays, I prefer to just use the hand grip instead.

If you are interested about the sling I'm using, you can take a look at Camdapter. In terms of looks and fashion, it's definitely not as "cool" as other products, but It's damn well built.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 27th September 2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks for your recommendation. As mentioned above wrist strap is not my style, but great idea.
    I was a strong supporter of the OPTECH Strap for more longer then I can remember when back in the old days when Cathay Photo was only a smaller store in Peninsula in the 80s. Might be the way I walk but the usually camera strap like my then Nikon straps would result it the camera bopping about or thumbing my chest. Worst is my sweat being rather excessive after a few hours of walking and photo taking. The feture of having a clip-on device near both ends was great as a shorter hand strap which I use to steady my grip against my right hand was a great idea along with the fact I can detach the middle neck portion and place the camera on my tripod without the strap getting in the way. I like those features use mine for almost 15 yrs and the soft cushion has never fail or disintegrate on me ever. And it was a lot less tiring around my neck even with like say a F4 with a SB26 and a 70-200mm zoom. That's my favorite for recommending the OPTECH strap like Octarine.... as the best entry level camera strap.

But now.... if your budget allows you to go a little further down the $100+ mark, I would recommend the Black Rapid (I use the sport version) which I use for like the past 5+ yrs. It comes in many configuration. I use the sport version which has a broader shoulder pad strap but for ladies or those who like slender shoulder strap? there is that option too. The thing I like is it's ability to have the camera to the side of your hip instead of chest/tummy thereby reducing the bopping/thumping and having the heavy weight on your neck and away from my sweaty chest This brand is the originator of this side strap design but if it is something cheaper to fit your budget you can look at the clones that are out there and I have seen selling in stores and on Clubsnap sales thread if I recall. The original is what I have. The latest version which has some improvement on it that is prompting me to upgrade but I love the concept very much. Sling to walk, just grab it and shoot and then let it back down to your side leaving your hands free to do other things. Easy to use and I find that I am more confident against snatch theft in overseas as the strap is secured to my body. The latest news I heard is that Black Rapid has develop an special backpack version that allows you to hook the sling strap to some brands or design with existing ready-made backpack should strap system. I think it is a way cooled idea coming soon and I have bagpack that can already allow for that when it hits the market. It was talked about on Photokina 2014.

PLUS.. I just found saw there is something similar in side straping made by OPTECH too ( saw it on youtube just now http://youtu.be/4lxKYh99akY ) by a guy who was talking about a few camera strap concepts.

The hand or fist strap type is too masochistic and drama heheh.. try holding your gear all day like a movie macho hero holding a 44 Magnum pistol looks stylo but really it's too damn unpractical for people serious about photo taking. I hate having a camera stuck to my right hand all day as it stop me from using my hand for other things when not shooting. Use one for about two outings and gave it up. Too much hassle. But that's just me.

Talking about gun, there is the belt strap system called the Spider selling at Cathay and some other store like SLR Revolutions, it is like a gun belt where there is no strap at all but a screw on hooking system that lets you "holster' your camera to your belt like a side arm. Cost a bit more then a Black Rapid ( I paid $108 for the Black Rapid ) But I personally feel that is a nice idea if you are tall ( I am 1.8m and tried it but still felt awkward ) I was thinking about it at one time but still think the Black rapid Sport is right for me. Something to also consider. The advantage with this one is Spider company is working with Think Tank bag system to have more use then just the belt as a camera holder. You can also attach other Think tank pouch system to it. Personally I find it a bit weird having it like a gun holster or Batman's utility belt heheh. This one looks a lot more funny on someone that is not largely built especially with a big gun camera/lens zoom setup on the side making you look lope sided..

Disclaimer. I don't work for those brand or at Cathay heheh..I am just an anal researcher for anything I buy to use.

I will never go back to a normal strap ever. I have a collection of untouched original Nikon straps from my FM2 up to my D4. I find it a real pity as a top brand (Nikon or Canon etc) they have yet to improve on a better idea even when you spent so much buying a pricey advance bodies from the film days right up to present digital age.

As for budgeting i would not let that stop me if the investment pays dividend to my well being and performance over time. And those two I recommend as my 'weapon of choice' I have used them for a long time before I suggest it to anyone.

http://lifehacker.com/the-pros-cons-...tra-1577457019
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th September 2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typos...

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I was a strong supporter of the OPTECH Strap for more longer then I can remember when back in the old days when Cathay Photo was only a smaller store in Peninsula in the 80s. Might be the way I walk but the usually camera strap like my then Nikon straps would result it the camera bopping about or thumbing my chest. Worst is my sweat being rather excessive after a few hours of walking and photo taking. The feture of having a clip-on device near both ends was great as a shorter hand strap which I use to steady my grip against my right hand was a great idea along with the fact I can detach the middle neck portion and place the camera on my tripod without the strap getting in the way. I like those features use mine for almost 15 yrs and the soft cushion has never fail or disintegrate on me ever. And it was a lot less tiring around my neck even with like say a F4 with a SB26 and a 70-200mm zoom. That's my favorite for recommending the OPTECH strap like Octarine.... as the best entry level camera strap.

But now.... if your budget allows you to go a little further down the $100+ mark, I would recommend the Black Rapid (I use the sport version) which I use for like the past 5+ yrs. It comes in many configuration. I use the sport version which has a broader shoulder pad strap but for ladies or those who like slender shoulder strap? there is that option too. The thing I like is it's ability to have the camera to the side of your hip instead of chest/tummy thereby reducing the bopping/thumping and having the heavy weight on your neck and away from my sweaty chest This brand is the originator of this side strap design but if it is something cheaper to fit your budget you can look at the clones that are out there and I have seen selling in stores and on Clubsnap sales thread if I recall. The original is what I have. The latest version which has some improvement on it that is prompting me to upgrade but I love the concept very much. Sling to walk, just grab it and shoot and then let it back down to your side leaving your hands free to do other things. Easy to use and I find that I am more confident against snatch theft in overseas as the strap is secured to my body. The latest news I heard is that Black Rapid has develop an special backpack version that allows you to hook the sling strap to some brands or design with existing ready-made backpack should strap system. I think it is a way cooled idea coming soon and I have bagpack that can already allow for that when it hits the market. It was talked about on Photokina 2014.

PLUS.. I just found saw there is something similar in side straping made by OPTECH too ( saw it on youtube just now http://youtu.be/4lxKYh99akY ) by a guy who was talking about a few camera strap concepts.

The hand or fist strap type is too masochistic and drama heheh.. try holding your gear all day like a movie macho hero holding a 44 Magnum pistol looks stylo but really it's too damn unpractical for people serious about photo taking. I hate having a camera stuck to my right hand all day as it stop me from using my hand for other things when not shooting. Use one for about two outings and gave it up. Too much hassle. But that's just me.

Talking about gun, there is the belt strap system called the Spider selling at Cathay and some other store like SLR Revolutions, it is like a gun belt where there is no strap at all but a screw on hooking system that lets you "holster' your camera to your belt like a side arm. Cost a bit more then a Black Rapid ( I paid $108 for the Black Rapid ) But I personally feel that is a nice idea if you are tall ( I am 1.8m and tried it but still felt awkward ) I was thinking about it at one time but still think the Black rapid Sport is right for me. Something to also consider. The advantage with this one is Spider company is working with Think Tank bag system to have more use then just the belt as a camera holder. You can also attach other Think tank pouch system to it. Personally I find it a bit weird having it like a gun holster or Batman's utility belt heheh. This one looks a lot more funny on someone that is not largely built especially with a big gun camera/lens zoom setup on the side making you look lope sided..

Disclaimer. I don't work for those brand or at Cathay heheh..I am just an anal researcher for anything I buy to use.

I will never go back to a normal strap ever. I have a collection of untouched original Nikon straps from my FM2 up to my D4. I find it a real pity as a top brand (Nikon or Canon etc) they have yet to improve on a better idea even when you spent so much buying a pricey advance bodies from the film days right up to present digital age.

As for budgeting i would not let that stop me if the investment pays dividend to my well being and performance over time. And those two I recommend as my 'weapon of choice' I have used them for a long time before I suggest it to anyone.

http://lifehacker.com/the-pros-cons-...tra-1577457019
    I have (and am currently using) the Optech cross strap type thing (can't remember what it's called), and by default it doesn't come with the tripod attachment. I believe that is from a Blackrapid strap. By default it attaches to the normal strap attachment point.

The strap will block the viewfinder if you shoot vertical, which is a problem. I always have to detach the strap when I want to shoot vertical, and that slows you down. You can avoid this problem by loosening the strap so there's more wiggle room, but it means your camera will hang very low.

Also, if you're very skinny and don't have much in the way of a bum, your camera will start swinging around and bumping against your body (I seem to have this problem with all the cross straps I've tried, but somehow I still keep using them)

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I have (and am currently using) the Optech cross strap type thing (can't remember what it's called), and by default it doesn't come with the tripod attachment. I believe that is from a Blackrapid strap. By default it attaches to the normal strap attachment point.
    Sorry.. maybe I wrote it wrongly. there is no tripod attachment. I meant I unclipped the main neck strap from the camera to use on the tripod and it is because like you said in vertical mode the stupid neck strap gets in the way hehehe.. I always unclip it to use my camera on a tripod. That was the only disadvantage of the strap.
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th September 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Also, if you're very skinny and don't have much in the way of a bum, your camera will start swinging around and bumping against your body (I seem to have this problem with all the cross straps I've tried, but somehow I still keep using them)
    I don't like to hang my Black Rapid too low like at my mid hip level. I adjust it to just above belt level. And set the backend clip to prevent it from swinging too far to the back of me.

The Black Rapid strap I was talking about that works on your existing backpack, there is a video out now explaining it and the price is not bad at USD35 if I buy online. Cathay Photo is the distributor but it is not in yet as it is new. But I think this is something I will buy for sure as it can work on 3 of my 4 camera bags. http://youtu.be/K8vHDVcu8AY

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    The Black Rapid strap I was talking about that works on your existing backpack, there is a video out now explaining it and the price is not bad at USD35 if I buy online. Cathay Photo is the distributor but it is not in yet as it is new. But I think this is something I will buy for sure as it can work on 3 of my 4 camera bags. http://youtu.be/K8vHDVcu8AY
    How well does it work in practice? I'm thinking what happens when you need to put your backpack down to take out something or to change a lens. Don't you have to detach the strap and put it somewhere? Otherwise the camera will just dangle from the bag?

How well does it work in practice? I'm thinking what happens when you need to put your backpack down to take out something or to change a lens. Don't you have to detach the strap and put it somewhere? Otherwise the camera will just dangle from the bag?
    I know what you mean as I thought about it before considering getting one. I noticed the shoulder clip that secure to your bag pack's left shoulder strap, its large and looks easy to clip on or off. I would un-clip before taking my bag pack off ( camera already detached ) With the bag pack off, i would get at what I need from it.

Here's my disclaimer. My consideration is because I know my shooting style and how often i change lens on the move. My minimum lens setup is my trinity set. Usually, I would have either the 24-70mm or 14-24mm on the camera. In Singapore, I would change lens by placing the camera on safe platform, go into my bag and change the lens. when I am oversea in places where I don't feel safe as things might get snatch I have to make sure everything is more or less attached to me at all times heheh. In that case I would most likely have a small pouch containing either the 14-24mm or 24-70mm secure to my belt to which I will change lens from. Only when I need to get to my 70-200mm then I need to take off my bag pack. Usually i don't get situation that I would be changing lens so darn often to make it not practical. As I say, I know my shooting style. I think for shooters who uses an all encompassing zoom lens like a 28-300mm which basically eliminate the need to change lens and would to save some money when buying a strap, this one would make it cheaper to buy since you already have a backpack. That will take care half the price for a full system like my Black Rapid Sport.

Blog Entries

Mine is D7100 + grip + 105 vr. Think around 2kg?
    My suggestion? Lose the grip... Want to complain heavy then don't use grip. Want to use grip, don't complain heavy.

Blog Entries

Which is why the think tank solution makes much more sense... I have both, and TT's solution is much more graceful. When using Optech, the other way is to keep the neck strap portion handy in a pocket or something.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

My suggestion? Lose the grip... Want to complain heavy then don't use grip. Want to use grip, don't complain heavy.
    I said the default strap is no good. I didn't complain the weight is too heavy. Why cannot continue to use the grip but upgrade to better strap or sling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast