Thread: Petrol loyalty cards

Default Petrol loyalty cards

I pump at SPC using their loyalty card. Then yesterday, was told that the old card is no longer valid and to be replaced by a new one. But for the new one, I need to register online to activate it. I just went through the registration process and realize that they are asking for more personal details that I had provided in the past for my old card. It is all to by-pass the PDPA - that by registering one is consenting to "SPC may disclose your personal data to any proposed or actual partner, participant or transferee of any or all part of SPC's business". That caused me to abort the registration process.

My question: do the other petrol companies do the same? Which company has a better deal or at least won't ask for so much information?

Default Re: Petrol loyalty cards

Read the T&C: https://www.essosmiles.com.sg/abouts...statement.aspx
    Looking at the tiny discount one gets I suggest looking for credit card discounts and pay the cc bills without rolling forward. DBV and Citi give around 20% discount when using their cards. It's discount on the spot.
    And CC companies must keep quiet about financial transactions
    EOS

Esso's looks similar... but they do give the option to opt out of direct marketing at least:

The Cardmember also agrees that ExxonMobil may use the Personal Data to provide the Cardmember with marketing materials relating to fuels-related promotions or any services available at any or all of the Esso Stations, its loyalty programmes, discount card programmes, bank card programmes, private label card programmes, fleet card programmes and other petroleum-related programmes developed by ExxonMobil from time to time, as well as marketing materials relating to any convenience store promotions at any or all of the Esso Stations (collectively, "Marketing Materials"). ExxonMobil may transfer the Personal Data to the Specified Third Parties for the purpose of providing Marketing Materials to the Cardmember. ExxonMobil will not disclose the Personal Data to other third parties for marketing by such third parties without the Cardmember's consent.

The Cardmember may require ExxonMobil or any of the persons stated in Paragraph (d) not to use the Personal Data for direct marketing purposes by ticking the appropriate box in the Smiles/Speedpass application form when submitting the completed form to any Esso Stations for his/her registration. The Cardmember may also choose to opt-out of receiving the Marketing Materials by calling the Smiles Customer Service hotline at 1800-300-8888 during its operating hours or through other modes notified to the Cardmember. The Cardmember will cease to receive the Marketing Materials within thirty (30) days after receipt of his/her request to opt out.

https://www.essosmiles.com.sg/abouts...statement.aspx

Can we tell them NO to their request?

No free lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Can we tell them NO to their request?

No free lunch!
    It's exactly because of 'no free lunch' that we trade our data/privacy for discounts

If you want to screw their data mining and analyzing then get cards among your friends and larger family and swap the cards every week. Of course, you will have to balance privately the resulting points and rewards.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I pump at SPC using their loyalty card. Then yesterday, was told that the old card is no longer valid and to be replaced by a new one. But for the new one, I need to register online to activate it. I just went through the registration process and realize that they are asking for more personal details that I had provided in the past for my old card. It is all to by-pass the PDPA - that by registering one is consenting to "SPC may disclose your personal data to any proposed or actual partner, participant or transferee of any or all part of SPC's business". That caused me to abort the registration process.

My question: do the other petrol companies do the same? Which company has a better deal or at least won't ask for so much information?
    What sort of info they are asking?

Can you fake some of them?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post

Anyway, I just register for this new card online.

All the info they asked for is just basic info. Nothing to be panariod.

At the end of the form, u can choose on how they can contact you. You can even choose all NO option.

Don't be an one man island