Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: uncertainty

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default uncertainty



    A billboard in an old estate in Shanghai, filled to the corners with advertisements from
    home-movers. The estate is gazetted for redevelopment into an upmarket entertainment
    district like Xin Tian Di. There is a strange air of uncertainty in the estate, as the
    residents will soon be required to move to new housing away from the city centre where
    they are now.

    This shot was taken last year on an urban study tour.i had only wanted to document the
    billboard when i noticed this lethargic young child walking towards it from a distance. so i
    waited for him to pass into my frame before pressing the shutter button.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    hmm the young kid face is cut.. dunno whether is he lethargic from the pic...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm the young kid face is cut.. dunno whether is he lethargic from the pic...
    i wanted his eyes to be in the frame more than anything else, the disturbed look in his eyes is priceless to me when i saw it.

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    wah your lens has got bad distortion

    anyway i feel that a tighter crop would do the trick
    and fill flash for lighter shadows

  5. #5
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    uncertainty
    may i know the purpose of including the kid? because i cant see uncertainty in his eyes.

    what i see is "end block" upgrading as per in singapore, which some of my friend had been in the same situation, but there wasnt any air of uncertainty then, so i cant feel the mood in your photo.

    the kid
    also, as Del_CtrlnoAlt ahd mentioned, cant feel his lethargicness in the eyes.

    may i know the purpose of shooting half face?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    the kid is one of the residents directly affected by the urban renewal program. i sense uncertainties from his eyes, and so only wanted his eyes in the frame, and let the frame be overwhelmed by the 'economy' of this whole urban renewal. it's good news for some (business for home-movers) and uncertain future for the others (the residents)

  7. #7
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    in singapore, dont think there is sense of uncertainty when selected for end-bolck, hence i cant feel it. guess photo appreciation is base on persernal experience?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    in singapore, dont think there is sense of uncertainty when selected for end-bolck, hence i cant feel it. guess photo appreciation is base on persernal experience?
    yah probably so. urban renewal in China is not as simple as en-block redevelopment in Singapore, there're lots more social implications, complications and problems attached. this picture is directly related to this thread

  9. #9

    Default

    When I saw the comments on this pic, it immediately brought back this image by James Nachtwey:

    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/jn/slides/g43.html

    The concept that you want to bring across is similar, but just the billboards (context) alone is not a very strong or convincing background as to why the boy is facing uncertainties.

    The caption/description does help a little, but without it, I wouldn't have any clue why the boy would be facing uncertainties. Usually this type of pictures may go well if they are in a sequence/series, and followed by caption/text, but individually, there may not be enough impact on the viewer.

    Cheers!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nutek
    When I saw the comments on this pic, it immediately brought back this image by James Nachtwey:

    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/jn/slides/g43.html
    beautiful thanks for sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by nutek
    The concept that you want to bring across is similar, but just the billboards (context) alone is not a very strong or convincing background as to why the boy is facing uncertainties.

    The caption/description does help a little, but without it, I wouldn't have any clue why the boy would be facing uncertainties. Usually this type of pictures may go well if they are in a sequence/series, and followed by caption/text, but individually, there may not be enough impact on the viewer.
    Cheers!
    yes, i think you are right about the method of presentation of the picture.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default

    yah, barrel distortion on horizontal...
    did you feel that priceless feeling of the look on the boys face? or just in his eyess....i think the composition of the picture taken up front is apt, but the boys eyes conveys more of an annoyed feeling to me..! as if he's irritated by something...or worse, uncomfortable in the presence of a photgr.
    i feel the frame can include something more definite to portray the situation of the urban renewal intrusion.

    my comments!
    regards
    doug

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    yah, barrel distortion on horizontal...
    did you feel that priceless feeling of the look on the boys face? or just in his eyess....i think the composition of the picture taken up front is apt, but the boys eyes conveys more of an annoyed feeling to me..! as if he's irritated by something...or worse, uncomfortable in the presence of a photgr.
    i feel the frame can include something more definite to portray the situation of the urban renewal intrusion.

    my comments!
    regards
    doug
    well, he didn't know what i was doing. i did not follow him around with my camera, he walked into my frame, i just wait for the moment to take the picture. i shot this with my CP4500, so there's nothing i can do about the technical aspect of distortion and such because there is no more space for me to move behind and zoom in. his worried eyes where already there when i saw him, that look is priceless to me as he shows the exact emotion of the residents (most others try to act positive about it and smile it off when i was there to interview them, though they were uncertain what they are in for)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Technicalities, are you sure this is barrel distortion or was this shot with a fisheye and cropped?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Technicalities, are you sure this is barrel distortion or was this shot with a fisheye and cropped?
    this was shot with a CP4500 if you read the last reply, no i don't have a fisheye adapter for that camera. seriously the distortion wasn't on my list of concern when processing this shot, that's why i didn't correct it. if it is a distraction do state the reason why, thanks.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default

    heh heh. i believe most of us point out that there is barrel distortion only because it is one of the technical aspects of critique lah....not that it really does distract..
    holistically, i feel that b n w gives the posters on the wall the informative aspect its wordings try to portray...and abt the priceless eyes, the eyes do give the audience something to ponder on...esp if he/she is not mandarin-educated!! =)

    read ur profile. postmodern phenomenon? interesting. try neo-imperialism, culture jamming, WESTERNIZATION..

    cheers!
    doug

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    read ur profile. postmodern phenomenon? interesting. try neo-imperialism, culture jamming, WESTERNIZATION..

    cheers!
    doug
    hmmm ... those are superficial facades of late capitalism

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default

    of the three mentioned, i believe culture critique cannot be generalized as a superficial facade of late capitalism.

    thats a little OOP for this thread anyway..

    regards
    doug

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    of the three mentioned, i believe culture critique cannot be generalized as a superficial facade of late capitalism.

    thats a little OOP for this thread anyway..

    regards
    doug
    to a certain extent, i do agree with you ... maybe have been reading too much psychoanalysis and the 'political unconscious' ... lol ... and too much OT liao

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    West of S'pore
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    to a certain extent, i do agree with you ... maybe have been reading too much psychoanalysis and the 'political unconscious' ... lol ... and too much OT liao
    heh!

    cheers
    Doug

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •