Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoot-to-kill policy

There is also such a thing as a "dead-man's trigger", whereby the detonator is first armed by pressing down on it, and then triggered off by releasing it. So in such a case, shooting a person in the head would still cause the terrorist to fulfil his/her mission.

The main cause for concern regarding the shooting of the Brazillian is due to faulty intelligence and procedures. Since he was initially (and erroneously) linked to the bombers, why didn't the police stop him at his home, instead of allowing him to board the bus, then into the train station? They already had him in their sights way before he even arrived at the station. IF he was really armed with bombs, wouldn't it be too late anyway, since he was already at the station?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Well, who dares to admit that he/she is a terrorist. It is a most difficult problem to settle if all this f****** don't admit who they are.
    All people is making a guessing game. And other innocent live is lost due to the cause this MF have made. S***...
    Unfortunately, the Brazillian is proven not to be a terrorist. The police admitted that much but stopped short of admitting a mistake since the death was under this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i believe that those assigned to do anti-terrorism patrols in mrt stations or along orchard rd, these folks had proven to have acquired the necessary skills to pass the test, including marksmanship, etc, etc. wo wo king would not be assigned.
    i hope so, else instead of shooting what he is suppose to, someone else gets shot. wonder why they didnt highlight this point in the news
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    There is also such a thing as a "dead-man's trigger", whereby the detonator is first armed by pressing down on it, and then triggered off by releasing it. So in such a case, shooting a person in the head would still cause the terrorist to fulfil his/her mission.

The main cause for concern regarding the shooting of the Brazillian is due to faulty intelligence and procedures. Since he was initially (and erroneously) linked to the bombers, why didn't the police stop him at his home, instead of allowing him to board the bus, then into the train station? They already had him in their sights way before he even arrived at the station. IF he was really armed with bombs, wouldn't it be too late anyway, since he was already at the station?
    may be they are afraid he have lots of boom inside his house, considering he was a suspect that was considered very dangerous and heavily armed during the point of contact.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman

I think you just answered your question. Faulty intelligence and procedures.

when you guys take the train tomorrow to the Padang, do not wear heavy coat or carry bags with wire dangling out for you might receive a bullet in the brains.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    The international assoc of chiefs of police offered guidelines to tackle terrorists. they recommended:

"if lethal force is needed to stop someone who fits a certain behavioural profile, the officer should aim for the head to kill the person instantly. .....

.......a policeman does not have to wait until a suspected bomber makes a move in order to use deadly force but just needs to have 'reasonable basis' to believe the suspect would detonate a bomb."

your comments.

I often exhibit strange behaviour, but I don't want to be shot in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPAP
    when you guys take the train tomorrow to the Padang, do not wear heavy coat or carry bags with wire dangling out for you might receive a bullet in the brains.
    i'm a moonlighting electrician.. how?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    may be they are afraid he have lots of boom inside his house, considering he was a suspect that was considered very dangerous and heavily armed during the point of contact.
    Well, the cops still had plenty of opportunity to confront him BEFORE he got anywhere near the station. Anyway, it was interesting to note that initial reports stated that he had "copper wires sticking out of his coat". I wonder if that's what people actually saw, or thought they saw or if that's what the newspapers wanted to report. Then with the shoot-to-kill-without-warning policy, questions were then raised about whether there was really any verbal warnings before the triggers were pulled.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

*Sign~~* It will soon be abused to 'Shoot for Fun'!

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I often exhibit strange behaviour, but I don't want to be shot in the head.
    Better for a 1 shot kill den to kena lead fill like a beehive and u whirting about in agony on the floor seeing ur life seep out slowly right?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Better for a 1 shot kill den to kena lead fill like a beehive and u whirting about in agony on the floor seeing ur life seep out slowly right?
    Sound good except that you can't end/stop this all by using this method.......

Lightbulb

the brazilian seemed to have ignored police's instruction or challenges. i think this is one of the contributing factor towards using lethal action against him.

What is interesting to note is that in the UK itself, there is actually quite alot of support for that police action. They are a country which just got their bowels hit by a terrorist, so I dont think they are gonna say the police is too harsh at all.

So...do Singapore need a fatal terrorist attack before we would stand behind our men in blue too? I wonder...
    D300s • D200 • 350D | N18-200VRII • N18-70 • N50 • TK12-24 • S70-300 • TR18-200

Why shoot to kill? Its because it is the only way to stop a person dead in his tracks and what he is or planning to do immediately. Unless a better way to stop a person immediately is thought of or invented, shoot to kill is the only way. This is to stop a terrorist and not his punishment. If the police can get him alive, he will be charged.

Other methods like spray, gas or stun gun might not stop a person immediately.

Its better to have a soldier die than a whole division. Besides, the police are not going around gunning everyone down. You guys take them for fools?

Default Re: Shoot-to-kill policy

Have Singapore just pass down the order too.
    I certainly know now they have the right to search you on MRT etc..

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    Have Singapore just pass down the order too.
    I certainly know now they have the right to search you on MRT etc..
    They all along have the right to search you anywhere anyway...so whats the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    They all along have the right to search you anywhere anyway...so whats the big deal?
    It's more on the Shoot-to-kill policy.

May mistaken my tripod bag as rifle bag than suay liao..

Lightbulb Re: Shoot-to-kill policy

i have seen our SOF publicity video of training on mrt train car. the rest is for you to imagine. anyone saw our ndu' s demo of ship boarding at marina over the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by soma
    It's more on the Shoot-to-kill policy.

May mistaken my tripod bag as rifle bag than suay liao..
    But to be honest, what exactly do you think has changed? If someone walks around with a buldging jacket and dangling wires, and starts to act suspicious when he is seen, he would probably get shot too anyway, anywhere in Singapore?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12