Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera for Landscape?

Default Re: Camera for Landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by zacktan View Post
    Hi there thank you for your reply!

Sadly what I want is both IQ and also video quality if I ever have to use it for my project. But my budget is too limited and so I can only settle with the 70D for the lens that is much cheaper.

If there is a lens for D7100 that is wide and somewhat cheaper than $400 I'll really consider the D7100 for it's IQ.

Anyway, is the 70D adequate for cityscape/long exposure shots at night? Just hope it won't be too far back off the Nikon. If theres no big difference then I would finalise on the Canon.
    you can get a 2nd hand Tokina 11-16 from BnS for around 400-500 bucks.

all cameras which you listed, will suffice for cityscapes photography.

there are differences between the 70D and D7100, it depends on whether you can pick them up or not.

things like dynamic range and details, with all things equal, the D7100 will do better than the 70D.

U dun need a d7100 for the purposes stated. D5300 will do just fine, although u need to get the mk2 version if u want to get the tokina 11-16
    hi

Get the Canon 70D.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

The 70D Kit II (18-135) will suit. You can add a 10-18 later for landscape, it's not expensive. If you want to save, the 700D with the same lenses is a good set too. That's if you choose to buy Canon instead of another brand.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    you can get a 2nd hand Tokina 11-16 from BnS for around 400-500 bucks.

all cameras which you listed, will suffice for cityscapes photography.

there are differences between the 70D and D7100, it depends on whether you can pick them up or not.

things like dynamic range and details, with all things equal, the D7100 will do better than the 70D.
    Oh! I think I'll make do with a 70D because the articulating screen might come in handy, then upgrade to a full frame in another 2 or 3 years. I hope it'll serve me well

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    U dun need a d7100 for the purposes stated. D5300 will do just fine, although u need to get the mk2 version if u want to get the tokina 11-16
    I used the D3100 before I'll feel that it isn't much of an upgrade :/

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    Get the Canon 70D.
    Yes I think that's what I'm going for and why did you decide on that?

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    The 70D Kit II (18-135) will suit. You can add a 10-18 later for landscape, it's not expensive. If you want to save, the 700D with the same lenses is a good set too. That's if you choose to buy Canon instead of another brand.
    Haha thank you but I already used a entry level dslr before this that's why I'm upgrading to a mid level, not enough money for full frame yet. Perhaps another 3 years. That's why I'm settling with 70D body, 50mm lens and 10-18mm for landscape

700D and 70D have the same sensor. Instead, the lenses and your technique will affect the image quality. For your use, I think the 700D is enough too.
    The D5300 is a very good camera too.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkersNg View Post
    700D and 70D have the same sensor. Instead, the lenses and your technique will affect the image quality. For your use, I think the 700D is enough too.
    The D5300 is a very good camera too.
    Hmm I see.... But it just feels weird upgrading to an entry level dslr from my old entry level dslr and I'm planning to get the cheap 10-18 first and save up for a better L lens so I can use when I upgrade to a full frame. Also really like the phase detection for video on the 70D.

Hmm I see.... But it just feels weird upgrading to an entry level dslr from my old entry level dslr and I'm planning to get the cheap 10-18 first and save up for a better L lens so I can use when I upgrade to a full frame. Also really like the phase detection for video on the 70D.
    why not get a cheaper dslr that serves it's purpose now, then use the extra cash for the jump to FF in the future? btw, most FF lenses produce sorta strange focal lengths when used on crop, the 24-70 gives a 36-105, 16-35 gives a 24-52... the best would probably be the 70-200.

My humble $0.02.

why not get a cheaper dslr that serves it's purpose now, then use the extra cash for the jump to FF in the future? btw, most FF lenses produce sorta strange focal lengths when used on crop, the 24-70 gives a 36-105, 16-35 gives a 24-52... the best would probably be the 70-200.

My humble $0.02.
    Yes what you said is true but the difference is $200 I prefer the 70D cause there's better image quality and phase detection when it comes to video for my school project.. And yup perhaps after a year or 2 I'll get the 17-40 L lens.

I used the D3100 before I'll feel that it isn't much of an upgrade :/
    The D5300 is quite a big jump in terms of sensor tech from the d3100, but retains the ergonomics that would be familiar to u as u have used the d3100. The difference between D5300 and d7100 in terms of image quality is really negligible. U will be paying more for more weathersealing, ruggedness, and sports-centric focusing and frame rates which u will not be utilising much I believe.

If u feel that it's a waste of money to upgrade from d3100 to D5300, then I suggest u just save for FF. Saves u more money in the long term.
    hi

Yes what you said is true but the difference is $200 I prefer the 70D cause there's better image quality and phase detection when it comes to video for my school project.. And yup perhaps after a year or 2 I'll get the 17-40 L lens.
    no such thing as 70D has better image quality. Image quality is dependent on user.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    The D5300 is quite a big jump in terms of sensor tech from the d3100, but retains the ergonomics that would be familiar to u as u have used the d3100. The difference between D5300 and d7100 in terms of image quality is really negligible. U will be paying more for more weathersealing, ruggedness, and sports-centric focusing and frame rates which u will not be utilising much I believe.

If u feel that it's a waste of money to upgrade from d3100 to D5300, then I suggest u just save for FF. Saves u more money in the long term.
    Actually I've more or less decided on the 70D. Maybe i'll reconsider. But the 70D is really tempting since I'm more interested in the Canon's system, from what i've experienced between the 2 systems.

Hi Zack,

1) Your needs are landscape + video set-up, your dream is to "upgrade" to mid-range DSLR.

2) budget $1300 (body) + $600 (lens)
    It can settle you a lot of options, even 2nd hand 5DM2 (~$1200) + 17-40L (~$700), question is do you need this?

I'm just hobbyist, not even an amateur photographer, however i did learn that photographers take pride of the stunning photos they can produce, not the gears they used.

Quote Originally Posted by bllimus View Post
    Hi Zack,

1) Your needs are landscape + video set-up, your dream is to "upgrade" to mid-range DSLR.

2) budget $1300 (body) + $600 (lens)
    It can settle you a lot of options, even 2nd hand 5DM2 (~$1200) + 17-40L (~$700), question is do you need this?

I'm just hobbyist, not even an amateur photographer, however i did learn that photographers take pride of the stunning photos they can produce, not the gears they used.
    No there's no way that I'm getting mid-range dslr just to take pride of my gears. Honestly, I don't come from a rich family and have been slowly saving for a year after selling my D3100 away. And finally I managed to raise $1800. And I really can't wait anymore and the reason is that my school project require me to take product photography and videos. But personally i like taking landscapes/cityscapes or just watching other people's photos of that. I'm just trying to go for the best I can afford now. I doubt I'll be able to upgrade to a full frame at all, or if not anytime soon. Because my family needs money and yes I do save up for them too but I just want to pamper myself a little and at least have a hobby, and photography was my hobby until I sold my D3100 just for extra cash for my family. So yes, I want to try and afford the best I can now just in case it's the last camera. Or at least for a long time before upgrading.

Therefore I'm deciding between the D7100 and 70D now.. Haha.

If you're not doing too much videos, get the X-E1 kit (about 1.1k) and a used zeiss touit 12mm f2 from B&S for its brillant performance. It will set you back about 1.9k. The X-E1 might still have the 50-230 promo so you'll get a decent zoom to cover you until 300mm.

Just my 2 cents.

700D and 70D have the same sensor. Instead, the lenses and your technique will affect the image quality. For your use, I think the 700D is enough too. The D5300 is a very good camera too.
    Actually 70D has an upgraded sensor from the rebel series. It has slightly better dynamic range and lower noise at higher ISO levels. But the difference might be marginal though. Probably just Canon's attempt at competitive with D7100 and K-3.

No there's no way that I'm getting mid-range dslr just to take pride of my gears. Honestly, I don't come from a rich family and have been slowly saving for a year after selling my D3100 away. And finally I managed to raise $1800. And I really can't wait anymore and the reason is that my school project require me to take product photography and videos. But personally i like taking landscapes/cityscapes or just watching other people's photos of that. I'm just trying to go for the best I can afford now. I doubt I'll be able to upgrade to a full frame at all, or if not anytime soon. Because my family needs money and yes I do save up for them too but I just want to pamper myself a little and at least have a hobby, and photography was my hobby until I sold my D3100 just for extra cash for my family. So yes, I want to try and afford the best I can now just in case it's the last camera. Or at least for a long time before upgrading.

Therefore I'm deciding between the D7100 and 70D now.. Haha.
    Hi, i don't means that, i just curious why must be 70D or D7100? if you are little forgiving, other canon DLSR set-up can do the job as well

1) 100D + EF-S 10-18 IS STM
    2) 650D/700D + EF-S 10-18 IS STM

save the spare cash for emergency use. Anyway, decision is yours. :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast