Thread: How impt is dev film?

Default How impt is dev film?

I been to differenet photolabs and get very different results from the prints of the same film. I was wondering does developing film(not the printing) matter much too? Coz i might wanna go to a cheaplab and dev the film with index, then go to a good lab to print the ones I want to save some cash... And does chromagenic film require special dev skills even though it is C-41 process?

Default Re: How impt is dev film?

Originally posted by Gunjack
    I been to differenet photolabs and get very different results from the prints of the same film. I was wondering does developing film(not the printing) matter much too? Coz i might wanna go to a cheaplab and dev the film with index, then go to a good lab to print the ones I want to save some cash... And does chromagenic film require special dev skills even though it is C-41 process?
    I think you might be better off asking for developing + CD at a good lab, then digitally print those you want....

Regards
    CK

hmm i wanted to ask this qns too...
    coz goin taiwan soon and i'll need to develop some photos there and i dun know which labs there are good.
    if i go to a normal shop there to develop then come back sg and give the negatives to a pro lab to print again will the results be the same?

Originally posted by Mystix
    hmm i wanted to ask this qns too...
    coz goin taiwan soon and i'll need to develop some photos there and i dun know which labs there are good.
    if i go to a normal shop there to develop then come back sg and give the negatives to a pro lab to print again will the results be the same?
    In Taipei the labs are dirt cheap.
    Some better labs do reasonably good job too.

In Taipei if you look around,
    Slides print - NT$4 / 4R
    slides E-6 processing w/ mounting - NT$70
    digital prints 4R - NT$6 /4R
    Scanning neg to CD - NT$50 when you process and print.

Go www.photosharp.com to look for better labs.
    The website is often slow or down due to heavy traffic.

thanks for the info
    wow didn't know that its so cheap over there!
    anyway my qns is still not quite answered...
    if i develop my neg with a so so shop there and then
    come back to make prints with them at a pro lab will the results be good or so so coz the negs are already developed so so?

Originally posted by Mystix
    thanks for the info
    wow didn't know that its so cheap over there!
    anyway my qns is still not quite answered...
    if i develop my neg with a so so shop there and then
    come back to make prints with them at a pro lab will the results be good or so so coz the negs are already developed so so?
    Assuming they take good care of the negative, and develop it properly, and leave no chemical stains, scratches, etc, you should be able to get it printed at a good lab later. Unfortunately, not all labs take good care of your precious negatives.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Assuming they take good care of the negative, and develop it properly, and leave no chemical stains, scratches, etc, you should be able to get it printed at a good lab later. Unfortunately, not all labs take good care of your precious negatives.

Regards
    CK
    Yes.
    C-41 is a very well defined process.
    So ideally all lab can do the job just as well.
    Beside the physical damage above, the freshness of chemicals is also important.
    Smaller labs may use chemicals for periods longer than recommanded by manufacturer. some may even buy used chemicals from someone.
    The the thumb of rule is look for a big lab with many customers.

Practically the largest problem with dep CN is scratching.
    By looking at how they handle the processed negs you should have a idea of it.
    Sadly most but the very pro lab do not baby your film. So do a little research of their reputation b4 you sent films to any lab.

Another good reason to go DSLR

Default Re: Re: How impt is dev film?

Originally posted by ckiang

I think you might be better off asking for developing + CD at a good lab, then digitally print those you want....

Regards
    CK
    Hmm... How much will that be for a roll of negatives? I thought it is super expensive to dev+CD?

DSLR is far far too expensive for me, that is the one and only reason needed to prevent me from going digital, at least at the moment... My camera is second hand, fully mechanical and less than $150, hahaha!
    Last edited by Gunjack; 6th October 2002 at 01:27 AM.