Thread: Lens care... How to clean?

Red face Lens care... How to clean?

I bought my 350D in Apr this year... but have yet to place it in a dry box. norm just keep it outside.... ( I know )

recently i got a "algae alert" from a friend of mine who warned me that it is very easy (takes about 1-2 months) for the lens to grow algae...
    is it really that easy for the lens to grow algae?

1)How do I check if my lens has algae?

2)If my lens has algae, How can I clean it out?

3)How often should one clean her lens and cam?

P.S. I'm not going to be online till maybe the 14th this month... but please keep this thread alive with your input/chatting I'll reply as soon as I get a chance!!

hmm you see something like a spidery cobweb thing on your lens.

its fungus not algae. best would be to bring it down to the service center or TCW @ PP to get it cleaned for a fee.

Clean it as need be, if you use your lens frequently then I wouldnt worry so much about the fungus, would worry more about the dust on my lens and the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by anirtac
    I bought my 350D in Apr this year... but have yet to place it in a dry box. norm just keep it outside.... ( I know )

recently i got a "algae alert" from a friend of mine who warned me that it is very easy (takes about 1-2 months) for the lens to grow algae...
    is it really that easy for the lens to grow algae?

1)How do I check if my lens has algae?

2)If my lens has algae, How can I clean it out?

3)How often should one clean her lens and cam?

P.S. I'm not going to be online till maybe the 14th this month... but please keep this thread alive with your input/chatting I'll reply as soon as I get a chance!!
    by that time maybe this thread would have algae. OOPS, fungus..
    sigh.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    by that time maybe this thread would have algae. OOPS, fungus..
    ehehe now in airport accessing the net....

Hope the lens would not have fungus...

Is there a place to bring my cam to check for fungus?? is there a charge for just checking...

how to clean lens??? remove dust... what would i need??

just use your eyes to check dude.

anyway, i am going to call you names for spending $1K++ on photographic equipment and not buy a simple and cheap dry cabinet that only costs around $80 to keep it in good condition.

I heed some advises too..
    I just bought a Nikon zoom lens, check the lens on the spot, just saw some dots
    and think might be some dust.
    Clean it at home and found out the few dots of dust is internal.
    Beside the few dots, also found a small strand of fibre which I don't know when it
    gotten into the lens, maybe while I was cleaing it...
    Also found a white line around 1mm long which look like dust or..

So what concern me now is the 1mm long of dust or fungus..

Fungus shape is always spidery cobweb style?

Well, there are a few environmental factors that can stimulate fungus growth, e.g. humidity, temperature, etc.

If you use your camera often enough, i.e. bring it out for shoots once every few days, then the chances of fungus growing on the lenses are low (not none). Moving air will decrease the chances of having fungus growth.

If I be you just get a dry cabinet. After investing a substantial amount of money on your cam wouldn't it be wise to invest 80 - 100 bucks for a dry cabinet? No need to send the lens for checking of fungus. You will be able to see it if it's there.

Its 22 hrs since you started this thread, I hope you have already bought a dry cabinet. If not, better do it the 1st thing after work...

even if no $$ to get a dry cabi get a dry box and silica gel ...

Well I'm still on my tour but my cam is with me and it is very much in use...

thanks for all the advices... but how to clean lens???

have you ever wondered why some lens sitting in the camera shop that dun get sold for so long doesn't collect fungus ?

hmm.... from what i see, they definitely dun put the lens in a dry cabinet....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    have you ever wondered why some lens sitting in the camera shop that dun get sold for so long doesn't collect fungus ?

hmm.... from what i see, they definitely dun put the lens in a dry cabinet....
    That's because most shops are air-conditioned for almost the whole day. Hence the air inside is pretty dry with low levels of humidity.

Default Re: Lens care... How to clean?

hmm.... but with the air con off when they close shop, would it cause a lot of condensation ?? hmm.... that's why need to check lens properly when buying new one....

me already feeling the dry cabinet i have is too small....
    one word of advice: buy a bigger cabinet... you won't know what lens you are buying down the road... might want to buy a cabinet that is capable of storing those big ma ma lens when you buy more later....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Someone told me to open up the lens caps when put into dry box and place near window or near somewhere with constant lights. Fungus need dampness and shades to spread. Deny them of these they won't have a chance to grow.

keeping the lens cap on is not a problem, but do not keep them wrapped up or in a bag or box. It is possible to maintain pockets of moist air in the drycabi since air inside does not circulate much. Also keep the vents as clear as possible from equipment clutter as it will reduce the effectiveness. I have tried putting several hygrometers in different parts of the drycabi as an experiment and found that the readings can vary, especially if there are too many equipment inside.

I do this when I feel my lens lying around in the dry cabinet needs some rejuvenating....

Go out in the sun. Point the lens at sun so that a sharp dot of light is formed at the focus point. Leave it like that for 5mins+. that should get some UV through the lens, killing any fungi before they grow. This is my homemade idea, so dont trust it too much or accuse me if it fails