Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Recommendation for camera gift

  1. #1

    Default Recommendation for camera gift

    Hi all!

    Would appreciate some real advice from the pros here. I'm planning to buy a digital camera (preferably compact and most value-for-money) for my girlfriend's birthday real soon. She takes Outfit Of The Day (OOTD) and fashion/modelling photos almost daily, plus apparel advertisements and I'm looking for a suitable camera for those purposes, as well as for our travel photography. I'm looking at a budget below S$350, able to take jump shots and movement photos without blur, able to transfer photos to phone for uploading, and of course good scenery photos. I'm completely new to this so I'll really appreciate the help from the gurus here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Even with 2nd hand camera, budget of 350 will be very tight for what you are looking for.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzu Wei View Post
    Hi all!

    Would appreciate some real advice from the pros here. I'm planning to buy a digital camera (preferably compact and most value-for-money) for my girlfriend's birthday real soon. She takes Outfit Of The Day (OOTD) and fashion/modelling photos almost daily, plus apparel advertisements and I'm looking for a suitable camera for those purposes, as well as for our travel photography. I'm looking at a budget below S$350, able to take jump shots and movement photos without blur, able to transfer photos to phone for uploading, and of course good scenery photos. I'm completely new to this so I'll really appreciate the help from the gurus here.
    If u can stretch your budget, I highly recommend the Samsung nx mini with 9mm lens. Retails for 549, Qoo10 sells cheaper (400+), and perhaps u might get a good deal at the usual recommended shops in Funan. Do check with them. The nx mini is stylish, appeals to girls, small form factor, 180 flip screen for selfies, wifi, and advanced modes (PASM) to do your jump shots and non blur movement shots (if you know the settings required).
    hi

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    If u can stretch your budget, I highly recommend the Samsung nx mini with 9mm lens. Retails for 549, Qoo10 sells cheaper (400+), and perhaps u might get a good deal at the usual recommended shops in Funan. Do check with them. The nx mini is stylish, appeals to girls, small form factor, 180 flip screen for selfies, wifi, and advanced modes (PASM) to do your jump shots and non blur movement shots (if you know the settings required).
    Thanks for the recommendation! What about Samsung NX300, Sony A6000 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1?
    Last edited by Tzu Wei; 12th September 2014 at 12:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzu Wei View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! What about Samsung NX300, Sony A6000 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1?
    all 3 cameras you listed comfortably exceed the stated budget of $350

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzu Wei View Post

    .....I'm looking at a budget below S$350, able to take jump shots and movement photos without blur......
    Just so you know: the 'ability' to freeze motion depends to a large extent on the lighting conditions (e.g. sunny day, inside a dark tunnel, etc) and less so on the equipment choice.
    I wouldn't want you to purchase a camera and then be frustrated with the results, thinking it is a useless piece of equipment.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 12th September 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    all 3 cameras you listed comfortably exceed the stated budget of $350



    Just so you know: the 'ability' to freeze motion depends to a large extent on the lighting conditions (e.g. sunny day, inside a dark tunnel, etc) and less so on the equipment choice.
    I wouldn't want you to purchase a camera and then be frustrated with the results, thinking it is a useless piece of equipment.
    Thanks! Yup I know the 3 cameras are way out of my budget. I'm willing to spend more if it's worth it. Could you advise which camera is the most value for money?

  7. #7
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzu Wei View Post
    Thanks! Yup I know the 3 cameras are way out of my budget. I'm willing to spend more if it's worth it. Could you advise which camera is the most value for money?
    All the 3 cameras listed are good, very good indeed. As for which is most value for money, depends entirely on how you would look at value. My advise as always is for you to head down to the stores, take the three shortlisted cameras in your hand, play with them for a while, whichever feels best in your hands and whichever had the menus interface that make most sense to you, is the camera for you.

    Also, since this is going to be your girlfriend's gift, I think you should bring your girlfriend to the shop to try these cameras out too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

    All the 3 cameras listed are good, very good indeed. As for which is most value for money, depends entirely on how you would look at value. My advise as always is for you to head down to the stores, take the three shortlisted cameras in your hand, play with them for a while, whichever feels best in your hands and whichever had the menus interface that make most sense to you, is the camera for you.

    Also, since this is going to be your girlfriend's gift, I think you should bring your girlfriend to the shop to try these cameras out too.
    Yup, all 3 are good, but the gm1 would be more gf-centric, I feel. A6000 and nx300 boasts much better image quality and functionality though, that's if ur gf desires them.
    hi

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzu Wei View Post
    Could you advise which camera is the most value for money?
    Define 'value', meaning: what do you need. Most people get blinded by what they might need, or what they want (because it's good to have or fashionable) or by other options which they will hardly use before the camera becomes obsolete.
    Right.. a gift for your girlfriend.. Well, I hope you remember that most girls have a completely different view on technology In the end she might chose the model in pink...
    EOS

  10. #10
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,890

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    had a brother who was going thru exact the same thing as u a month back. He thought the Fuji XF1 would make the perfect camera for his gf. (super easy to operate, and what's more budget <$400 BNIB comfortably)

    on the day of the 'buy', one glance was all she needed to decide she wanted the X30 instead, even though it was an pre-order lol. ($899)

    hence my point is: don't ever ever forget what we boys think is good means the same for the girls. Afterall, some girls (not all, I do know some girls who use professional equipment and they make men feel like boys) do pay $1400 for a camera designed solely for selfies.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift


  12. #12
    Senior Member SilverPine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

  13. #13

    Default

    The older Canon S110 might fit your bill.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Recommendation for camera gift

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Define 'value', meaning: what do you need. Most people get blinded by what they might need, or what they want (because it's good to have or fashionable) or by other options which they will hardly use before the camera becomes obsolete.
    Right.. a gift for your girlfriend.. Well, I hope you remember that most girls have a completely different view on technology In the end she might chose the model in pink...
    actually the one camera that many girls love is those which can auto apply makeup
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •