Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need to know more about Medium format...

One distinct advantage (besides a much higher flash sync shutter speed range and assuming you own only one body) that LEAF shutter lenses have is that in the event of a ****-up, you still have other lenses each with their own shutters to continue shooting.

Frankly, I would recommend the Mamiya if you can't afford a Hassey. It's been THE workhorse system, especially the RBs and RZs for decades. However, Hasseys may be gotten at potentially better prices these days as compared to before ... another victim of the digital age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    See Ed Krebs website.

http://edkrebs.com/

He shoots a lot with his TLR. I guess probably al the square formats that you see are using TLR.

Meanwhile don't forget to check out the links to other interesting photographers site.
    wow! nice stuff... still browsing the images...

Feinwerkbau - true... of late, i also notice more mamiya stuff at 2nd-hand shops. hassys, not so..
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    so, dun jump into MF photography unless u really wish to explore it. stick with 35mm if u're not familar with photography yet. MF gears are harder to sell, if u wish to...
    I doubt I will jump into MF yet for a long while... but it is refreshing to learn more about other cameras.... like rangefinders too.... in case you are not aware, I am asking and learning about the range finder too......

I also dig up my dad's ancient Konica ee-matic deluxe rangefinder.... from the 1965 era.... and should be close to 40 yrs by now.... hahaa.... not sure if I want it repaired... but I am thinking about it...

As for my photography...... I think mine is passable..... I shoot full manual now... and unless there is no time, I shoot either AV or TV..... and P when I use flash.... But there are just so much to learn...

"The relentless pursuit of PERFECTION....."

Do I sound like a Lexus saleman??? hahaha......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    I doubt I will jump into MF yet for a long while... but it is refreshing to learn more about other cameras.... like rangefinders too.... in case you are not aware, I am asking and learning about the range finder too......

I also dig up my dad's ancient Konica ee-matic deluxe rangefinder.... from the 1965 era.... and should be close to 40 yrs by now.... hahaa.... not sure if I want it repaired... but I am thinking about it...

As for my photography...... I think mine is passable..... I shoot full manual now... and unless there is no time, I shoot either AV or TV..... and P when I use flash.... But there are just so much to learn...

"The relentless pursuit of PERFECTION....."

Do I sound like a Lexus saleman??? hahaha......
    have fun! more impt is to learn.

if u are using DSLR, best is to shoot M-mode so dat u can figure out later wat went right or wrong. DSLRs are a boon to learning cos they record down all the exposure info on the file.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    One distinct advantage (besides a much higher flash sync shutter speed range and assuming you own only one body) that LEAF shutter lenses have is that in the event of a ****-up, you still have other lenses each with their own shutters to continue shooting.

Frankly, I would recommend the Mamiya if you can't afford a Hassey. It's been THE workhorse system, especially the RBs and RZs for decades. However, Hasseys may be gotten at potentially better prices these days as compared to before ... another victim of the digital age.
    Thanks for your advice.... But I am not getting it any time soon yet... unless...... I pick a peanut on the mon/thursday.... hahaha.....

I think both suffered due to the digital back......

Maybe a 645 will be more suitable or a Mamiya 7II instead.... Just some options I toyed about.....

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    have fun! more impt is to learn.

if u are using DSLR, best is to shoot M-mode so dat u can figure out later wat went right or wrong. DSLRs are a boon to learning cos they record down all the exposure info on the file.
    Yes... DSLR is too idiot prove that many PRO using SLR is in trouble.... Bad for PRO... good for newbies....

If MF have cheap digital back too, I suspect many PRO will suffer too.....

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    See Ed Krebs website.

http://edkrebs.com/

He shoots a lot with his TLR. I guess probably al the square formats that you see are using TLR.

Meanwhile don't forget to check out the links to other interesting photographers site.
    Thanks for the link..... it is sure very interesting!!!

It is the singer not the song loh. If I throw a MF with a high end digital back to any one sure get good picture meh. I have knew of a famous photographer start out on 35mm Topcon camera and became famous then use a hasselblad not the other way around lei. MF are good only if you know the song well

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    It is the singer not the song loh. If I throw a MF with a high end digital back to any one sure get good picture meh. I have knew of a famous photographer start out on 35mm Topcon camera and became famous then use a hasselblad not the other way around lei. MF are good only if you know the song well
    MMm.... True... it is only if you know basic well..... But if Digital back is lowered till so low, then, the PRO will be in trouble too....

But I think all start off with a Compact -> SLR -> MF.... And rangefinder maybe inbetween??

MMm.... True... it is only if you know basic well..... But if Digital back is lowered till so low, then, the PRO will be in trouble too....

But I think all start off with a Compact -> SLR -> MF.... And rangefinder maybe inbetween??
    You still missing the points loh. Let me point out a few facts, in singapore the people buying the most "pro gear" including MF digital back are not the professional but hobbies with deep pocket. For example when the new canon EOS 1DS mkII came out, I and another professional friend ask cathy's sale person whom we knew well, how is the canon EOS 1DS mkII selling. He replied "very good sold out". We goes like wow who are the pro photog who brought it. He repiled in a very candid way "pro photog? No lai alot of doctors and lawyers brought it". We go like this after hearing that. But still up to now I still dun have canon EOS 1DS mkII. Why? The reason my cilent now wouldn't or have the budget to pay me euongh to own one I can hear my ma go in the background see tell you to study hard to be doctor and lawyer dun la. But Yes it is the know how and creative eye you have count in this art of ours. 35mm, MF even LF or digital are only tools for you to be creative. Some of our most creative professional dun even own a MF digital back and that is by choice. Learn and own your MF system or even high end digital back is only one step to gain better of yourself in this creative game. Another trival there more professional who are into film then digital in the other parts of the world. Only beside singapore, the UK and the US there more digital pro user.

If you want to start cheap, can try the Russian cameras. I just bought a Moskva-5 for S$160 from ebay (because I cant afford a Fuji GSW690 ) ,its a folding rangefinder. Going to try it out during fireworks this weekend.

If you want something better, the Iskra-2 is supposed to be better than the Moskva but its 6x6.

You still missing the points loh. Let me point out a few facts, in singapore the people buying the most "pro gear" including MF digital back are not the professional but hobbies with deep pocket. For example when the new canon EOS 1DS mkII came out, I and another professional friend ask cathy's sale person whom we knew well, how is the canon EOS 1DS mkII selling. He replied "very good sold out". We goes like wow who are the pro photog who brought it. He repiled in a very candid way "pro photog? No lai alot of doctors and lawyers brought it". We go like this after hearing that. But still up to now I still dun have canon EOS 1DS mkII. Why? The reason my cilent now wouldn't or have the budget to pay me euongh to own one I can hear my ma go in the background see tell you to study hard to be doctor and lawyer dun la. But Yes it is the know how and creative eye you have count in this art of ours. 35mm, MF even LF or digital are only tools for you to be creative. Some of our most creative professional dun even own a MF digital back and that is by choice. Learn and own your MF system or even high end digital back is only one step to gain better of yourself in this creative game. Another trival there more professional who are into film then digital in the other parts of the world. Only beside singapore, the UK and the US there more digital pro user.
    MM... maybe I read your last post TOO FAST.....

My thoughts was it is the SINGER... and hence, equiments is second to the photograher.......

Did not think deeper... So if you know the SONG well, you will can do any format right??? Technically???

I know of a doc who buy high end photo equiment, but it is still in the box..... well... deep pockets........

But to me... I am using films.... and would still prefer films... I will never trust digital much since my experiences with PC breaking down last time......

But different format is intereting so curious...

I think the skills is more important that the equiments....

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    If you want to start cheap, can try the Russian cameras. I just bought a Moskva-5 for S$160 from ebay (because I cant afford a Fuji GSW690 ) ,its a folding rangefinder. Going to try it out during fireworks this weekend.

If you want something better, the Iskra-2 is supposed to be better than the Moskva but its 6x6.
    Thanks..... sound interesting option, and I think I need to check this out... do they have any website???? Or any local shop that sells them???

Need to do more search on this....

Thanks..... sound interesting option, and I think I need to check this out... do they have any website???? Or any local shop that sells them???

Need to do more search on this....
    There's no official website for these cameras as they are 50s-60s cameras. You can find them on sale on ebay. There's quite a few Moskva 5s but very few Iskra-2s as only 6,118 were produced.

Iskra-2 - http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/iskra2/

Moskva-5 - http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/moskva5/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    There's no official website for these cameras as they are 50s-60s cameras. You can find them on sale on ebay. There's quite a few Moskva 5s but very few Iskra-2s as only 6,118 were produced.

Iskra-2 - http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/iskra2/

Moskva-5 - http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/moskva5/index.htm
    OIC.... thanks.... I will do some search first.. and see how.....

MM... maybe I read your last post TOO FAST.....

My thoughts was it is the SINGER... and hence, equiments is second to the photograher.......

Did not think deeper... So if you know the SONG well, you will can do any format right??? Technically???

I know of a doc who buy high end photo equiment, but it is still in the box..... well... deep pockets........

But to me... I am using films.... and would still prefer films... I will never trust digital much since my experiences with PC breaking down last time......

But different format is intereting so curious...

I think the skills is more important that the equiments....
    You finaly got, it the skill and the creative eye my friend

You finaly got, it the skill and the creative eye my friend
    Yes... these cannot be taught, and even with the best equiments, one still need the eye for details, etc....

Also, if you do not know how to operate them... also useless....

Just like some modern war planes with so much controls, data, etc....

But when they test the NEW plane, the TEST PILOTS only used the most basic set up for flight info.... too much info provided is not always a good thing too...... they need the basic is more than enough....

Too much info can confused pilots.... and accidents can happen...... due to the overload of unneccessary info.....

Maybe a film cam is more than enough actually.... and digital have made something simple far more complicated at times.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123