Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to know more about Medium format...

Most TLR are 6x6

oops....

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    there are. difference lies in the frame mask within the hassy.

MF photography is actually quite fun as there are very few auto-everything MF cams ard. so, u really have to slow down and compose. plus, depending on the format u are shooting, u have bet 12-16 frames per roll. so, really forces u to count ur shot. the end result is a beautifully high-res pic dat, if u like, can blow it up poster-size without much loss of resolution.

just to show wat even a cheapo MF cam can do. this is a scanned pic from my ex-Lubitel 166U (6x6 russian TLR camera - plastic everything except the lens! ). taken last yr prior to the fireworks festival.

another pic - portrait from the same cam.

Out Of Topic:i just won a lubitel (olimpic edn) off ebay haha, mind giving a few tips thru PM on how to use? Should be getting it nxt week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Nightwolf... what brand of TLR you use har? Din know got TLR that can take 6x6....
    expensive a not?
    idor - i'm currently using a seagull TLR. its a china-made 6x6 Twin-Lens Reflex (TLR) camera - something dat our parents' generation will be well familar of! my dad had a blast when i showed him the camera.

not dat expensive... if u can find a 2nd-hand set. every now and then 1 of these beauties will pop up in CS, going for ard $200+, depending on condition. new ones i saw at K-13 were selling for $400+... i asked my dad to go china to look for one. however, he couldn't find it at beijing when he was there 2 mths ago. my current set was bought from another CSer.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stnicholas81
    Out Of Topic:i just won a lubitel (olimpic edn) off ebay haha, mind giving a few tips thru PM on how to use? Should be getting it nxt week.
    PM me?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Nightwolf75,

It is time for you to move up to Rollei TLRs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    Nightwolf75,

It is time for you to move up to Rollei TLRs.
    hehe... actually, more like eyeing at a basic 500 CM kit set...

Then GO for the 500cm kit set. You wont regret. If you need a to push you buy, pm me.

Just a note: make sure you don't get something too run down as repair and servicing is not really cheap.

Hassy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamseeker
    Then GO for the 500cm kit set. You wont regret. If you need a to push you buy, pm me.

Just a note: make sure you don't get something too run down as repair and servicing is not really cheap.

Hassy

which is why i posted the question abt buying off ebay! i saw wat a hassy can do b4. but, due to the high prices of used hassys locally, been using fixed-lens TLRs to scratch the occasional MF itch.

which is why i posted the question abt buying off ebay! i saw wat a hassy can do b4. but, due to the high prices of used hassys locally, been using fixed-lens TLRs to scratch the occasional MF itch.
    Master Yoda .. I see that the force is coming your way .. yup a new born is coming ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Master Yoda .. I see that the force is coming your way .. yup a new born is coming ..
    KO nw75

now u know why, eh? my flat's walls are too bare...

KO nw75

It will be very exciting to use hassy to shoot Young Yoda ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    IIRC = If I Remembered Correctly
    Thanks.... now, what is TLR?????
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

And CM kit???

Still a lot of things to learn for me.... heee

KO nw75

Too bare???

Then, hang all your camera and lenses on the wall as decoration!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    It will be very exciting to use hassy to shoot Young Yoda ...
    It is not possible to shoot Yoda...... his force is so STRONG.... any shooting will result in over exposure, and cracked lens....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    And CM kit???

Still a lot of things to learn for me.... heee
    haha... at the rate we are going, the mods will have to move this to MF sub-thread.

CM is just a branding for hassleblad to indicate the model number. the 500-series are something like the basic entry level MF cameras manufactured by hassy.... if u can call a $2k++ MF cam entry level! see here.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...iro_hassel.htm

TLR - twin lens reflex. a little harder to explain until u used one b4. try reading here.
    http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/

haha... at the rate we are going, the mods will have to move this to MF sub-thread.

CM is just a branding for hassleblad to indicate the model number. the 500-series are something like the basic entry level MF cameras manufactured by hassy.... if u can call a $2k++ MF cam entry level! see here.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...iro_hassel.htm

TLR - twin lens reflex. a little harder to explain until u used one b4. try reading here.
    http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/
    Should be ok I guess.... Newbie questions mah....

I see... so 500 is the entry... like the EOS 350D and EOS 66.... but just much much more expensive!!!

Twin Lens.... now that you said twin lens.. I remember seeing them.... but not sure how they work, but know what it is only.... hahaha.....

The world of photograohy is simply so HUGE!!! So much things and equiments out there.... never ending things to learn!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    Should be ok I guess.... Newbie questions mah....

I see... so 500 is the entry... like the EOS 350D and EOS 66.... but just much much more expensive!!!

Twin Lens.... now that you said twin lens.. I remember seeing them.... but not sure how they work, but know what it is only.... hahaha.....

The world of photograohy is simply so HUGE!!! So much things and equiments out there.... never ending things to learn!!!
    no sweat lah. stick with 35mm first to learn all the basics. MF photography is roughtly the same . the principles of composition, exposure etc... are the same. the difference lies in the film format.

most MF boards overseas (eg in photo.net) will recommend MF enthusiasts to start with TLR cameras cos they are relatively cheap. of course, 'cheap' is relative. a rolleicord TLR can cost u ard $1k, if in mint condition... some are pretty happy sticking to TLR and do take pretty good pics with it. the more serious shooters will gravitate towards MF like hassy, bronica, pentax etc... these systems allow the use of different focal length lenses, and offer more functions compared to the TLR. of course, the costs will go up too.

so, dun jump into MF photography unless u really wish to explore it. stick with 35mm if u're not familar with photography yet. MF gears are harder to sell, if u wish to...

See Ed Krebs website.

http://edkrebs.com/

He shoots a lot with his TLR. I guess probably al the square formats that you see are using TLR.

Meanwhile don't forget to check out the links to other interesting photographers site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast