View Poll Results: What is your main deciding factor when renting photographic equipment?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rental Fees

13 72.22%
  • Type of equipment available (professional, "exotic" items)

1 5.56%
  • Variety of Equipment available (different brands, professional and amateur)

1 5.56%
  • High deposit required (assume that it's more than 50% of equipment value)

2 11.11%
  • Rental Period

1 5.56%

Thread: What are your main considerations when renting equipment?

Default What are your main considerations when renting equipment?

Hi all,

Just something that I'm interested. What are your main decisions when deciding to rent equipment from a particular place/company?

What are also your greatest difficulties when renting equipment?
    It seems that the equipment rental industry in Singapore is rather weak, but when it comes to other countries, they seem to be doing so much better.

Normally I take what is required for an assignment interstate or overseas, however there have been a few times over the years where I've required extra lighting or an additional vehicle etc. For me the most important things are:

Availability of equipment.
    Ability to work in with my shooting schedule when on overseas assignments.
    Backup

Cost is not so important.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Hi all,

Just something that I'm interested. What are your main decisions when deciding to rent equipment from a particular place/company?

What are also your greatest difficulties when renting equipment?
    It seems that the equipment rental industry in Singapore is rather weak, but when it comes to other countries, they seem to be doing so much better.
    Speaking generally - both photography and filming equipment. 1 being the most important.

1. Costs involved
    2. Discounts (E.g., cheaper if you rent more days or more equipment)
    3. Condition of Equipment(s)
    4. Rental Period allowance
    5. Varieties of equipment(s)
    6. The person/company that is loaning to me.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

My order of preference:

1) Cost of rental
    2) Reputation of the fella (Very important. I dun want to borrow a lens already got scratched. The person know abt it, keep quiet din tell me and when I return the lens, he dun want to refund me my deposit saying "its scratched! You must have done it!")

Generally these 2 are most important to me if I'm renting stuff frm others.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Good conditions and reliability of the equipments would be the most important factor as you need to use it to expose your subjects or objects.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsn
    My order of preference:

1) Cost of rental
    2) Reputation of the fella (Very important. I dun want to borrow a lens already got scratched. The person know abt it, keep quiet din tell me and when I return the lens, he dun want to refund me my deposit saying "its scratched! You must have done it!")

Generally these 2 are most important to me if I'm renting stuff frm others
    Not too sure about you but this kinda of problem usually happens only in Singapore. Haha......so far places like Australia, Japan, Malaysia and so on, I do not encounter this problem. So if you want to rent a lens, take your camera and shoot as for record purposes.

Ok lah, maybe I sway or wad hehehe....

But can't deny, '1 type of rice feed many kind of ppl'

Thanks all for the replies.

Just something interesting that I've realised - most of you guys don't state deposit as one of the main factors when it comes to renting equipment, which surprised me a little.

I'm not sure if anyone will be willing to fork out almost S$7000 for a equipment deposit of a Nikon D2X (ok, maybe the professionals will be able to, but what about the amateurs who want to give it a shot?)

What's your take on this?

$7K for equipment deposit I dun think any ameuter (except the rich ones) can really afford. If they can afford $7K for D2x, they prolly wun get a 'lower-end' DSLR and den crack their brains and ask 15 million times if its worth getting a L lens or VR lens.

In fact, if anyone wants to lend me his/her 70-200 f4L, I got nothing to offer as deposit except my trust and head. That's provided the fella can trust me.

I have rented a 70-200/2.8 lens before and offered a camera body as collateral in place of cash deposit. I was renting from an individual so the terms were more flexible.

As an amateur I'dnt put down $7k as deposit for renting a D2x either.

Unless you can be quite sure you will be covered even with minimal deposit amounts in order to make high-end equipment rentals accessible to one and all.

Thanks all for the responses.
    Just to ask, should I decide to start renting my equipment out, are there any available insurance(s) that allow me to get insured should the borrower default/damage on the equipment?

Default Re: What are your main considerations when renting equipment?

but where can one rent a lens here in singapore?