Thread: Wide angle lens mounted on portrait lens to make shorter focal length

Default Wide angle lens mounted on portrait lens to make shorter focal length

Hi , would it be possible to shorten the focal length of portrait lens by adding wide angle lens in front?
    I have Sony NEX SEL 50f18 lens and intend to purchase a ZOMEI 0.45X wide angle lens.
    Thanks !
    Last edited by htun85; 31st August 2014 at 02:31 PM.

What effect you want to achieve?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Wide angle lens mounted on portrait lens to make shorter focal length

If you are trying to get a wider focal length by adding a wide angle converter, you may want to consider reading this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477934
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Default Re: Wide angle lens mounted on portrait lens to make shorter focal length

I just want to shorten the focal length of my portrait lens which has 50mm , equivalent to 75 mm due to cropping factor of APS C sensor. By adding 0.45 converter I should achieve 75 x 0.45 = 33.75 mm . Is it achievable ? Will there be any other drawback? I am new in Photography.

Mine is Sony SEL50f18 lens and below is the one I want to attach on it.
    https://www.dx.com/p/zomei-49mm-0-45...1#.VAK5lWPp_9s

Thanks !
    Last edited by htun85; 31st August 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Technically, It should work. But the image quality leave much to be desired (imo), YMMV. Refer to the prev link for the in-depth review of such converters.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Don't waste your money, you will be better of simply shoot with a kit lens if you want a wider coverage.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks !

U might be better off with a speed booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythmaker View Post
    U might be better off with a speed booster.
    Which won't work with the lens in question as it has the same image circle for APSC?