Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Tan,photographer,critic,& standard bearer for Singapore Fashion Photography

There are more than one photographers named David Tan in Singapore...

I know of two,
    One is www.davidtanphotography.com
    another is http://www.davidtanphoto.com

Both are equally good in their preferred aspects (Fashion, Nature)
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    u know, all these comments remind me of the hubris over john clang's exhibition last yr (IIRC)...
    I bet you also want someone here to ask, "Who is John Clang and I haven't heard of him too." Kekekek........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I bet you also want someone here to ask, "Who is John Clang and I haven't heard of him too." Kekekek........

heehee... u're probably rite, sion.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    If I remember correctly, it was a book on celebrity portraits, both of Asians and Caucasians, some in the nude (including 1 local Asian I think). It was a compilation of works in black-and-white (although there may be colour, I can't remember).
    I remember that book... and I was wondering who the photographer was....
    Anyway, the book featured Rebecca Tan and her assets too. The other pictures were not too bad but nothing radical maybe coz I saw it next to a Rolling Stones picture book.

It seems any guy who goes overseas and then comes back gets some sort of aura of "greatness". Just a general thought....

hmmmmmmm

david tan was my classmate...

but he was studying mai gai buay loti (microbiology) leh...

he was appalled at the standard of food in SG.....so he decided to eat only fruits..... now he got nutritional problem.

this one u all toking about must be pirated david tan lar....

copy my friend

You're confusing photography experts with rain makers?

Send them here. We need more rain in New South Wales.
    Hmm... Drought in NSW right? I din thought it was that bad when I went Sydney in June. Saw the news yesterday and was horrified.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Hmm.... I guess besides the name 'Russell Wong', I guess there ain't 1 single Singaporean photographer I know that comes half as close to 'setting standards'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    It seems any guy who goes overseas and then comes back gets some sort of aura of "greatness". Just a general thought....
    If you are right, I'll save up doubly hard to go overseas to study art. And come back with a halo around the head.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    If you are right, I'll save up doubly hard to go overseas to study art. And come back with a halo around the head.
    U must also make a very fast sweeping statement so we will all be impressed by your statement, instead of by your photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    U must also make a very fast sweeping statement so we will all be impressed by your statement, instead of by your photography...

C'mon the halo around the head is the $3 plastic florescent headband from Pasar Malam.

We'll know you are from overseas if you forget how to speak Hokkien. Si boh si?

A civil servant.....

Wondering if the media is going to give him all the attention, and then, NTUC will hire him, and NTUC Photohub begins to give all photographer a fight/fright of their life????

Wonder if he is here too......

In photography, and art..... there is NO STANDARD form.... it is always subjectivity... and that's how ART is....

If all follow standard SOP procedure... and the ARTISTIC element will be lost...

Have not seen enough to comment on his skills.... but DEFINATELY PISS OFF by the way the title.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Hmm.... I guess besides the name 'Russell Wong', I guess there ain't 1 single Singaporean photographer I know that comes half as close to 'setting standards'.

you serious? maybe there are people like wee khim, mark law, roy zhang, geoff ang...
    david tan is no where near any of them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Maybe I can start off with this...

"I am seriously appalled by the standards of photography here. Absolutely no creativity and every portrait I see simply smells of nothing but smut and no art. Every landscape photo I see taken by Clubsnappers are absolutely lacking in depth although I must give credit for the breadth of the photo (literally). Every street shoot photo looks like a vouyer photo which I can take better with a $500 point-and-shoot camera."

So Austin. Am I on the right foot to making sweeping statements? Or maybe I shld seek Mr David Tan's advice on making it. Cos I feel something is lacking in the above statement.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    you serious? maybe there are people like wee khim, mark law, roy zhang, geoff ang...
    david tan is no where near any of them at the moment.
    hehehe... ok lah. To be really serious. I'd seen the celebrity photobook by Russell Wong and to be honest, I'm impresed with his standards. They seem to reflect a certain quiet mood in some of the photos dat I wish to achieve that, not in portrait style, but the vast sweeping stroke of the landscape style.

Other den dat, most other photographers, haven't seen their works... yet. And yes, you guessed right, I'm exceptionally lousy in remembering names. You can tell me your name and I'll forget it in 3mins. I can see you for 8hrs a day, but I will forget ur face and ask you for ur name a 2nd time unless you leave an impression on me.

Well, dat's me. hehehe....

C'mon the halo around the head is the $3 plastic florescent headband from Pasar Malam.

We'll know you are from overseas if you forget how to speak Hokkien. Si boh si?
    Hokkien?

*ang mor slang on*
    I dunch noe any Horkien for goodness sake.... I dunch know what are you talking about... could you plueeassse use standard English to communicate for goodness sake? Not this blasphemous Singlish!
    *ang mor slang off*

Maybe I can start off with this...

"I am seriously appalled by the standards of photography here. Absolutely no creativity and every portrait I see simply smells of nothing but smut and no art. Every landscape photo I see taken by Clubsnappers are absolutely lacking in depth although I must give credit for the breadth of the photo (literally). Every street shoot photo looks like a vouyer photo which I can take better with a $500 point-and-shoot camera."

So Austin. Am I on the right foot to making sweeping statements? Or maybe I shld seek Mr David Tan's advice on making it. Cos I feel something is lacking in the above statement.
    Hahhaa! Don't forget the mandatory exhibition and that newspaper interview too.... Oh and also don't forget to add one or two bare breasted woman in all your exhibition to spice up a conversation and controversy.....

It might just work.... Who know's you'd be the next standard bearer

can i bare mine and post here!!!

See the public response... I was rather taken aback by his comments and his lack of local support for the local arts.. and worst, he's a singaporean photog too, to begin with... sad case of narcism

Thanks for highlighting it Matt.. nice meeting you today too! :smilie:

Let see now " Geoff, Russell, Mark, Wee Kim, Steve," nope not on my list of professional fashion photographers I knew of never heard of David Tan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast