Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

  1. #1
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity


  2. #2
    Member serenityan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    184

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    meaningful!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    a few ministers spending a month's salary can easily gao tim...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    a few ministers spending a month's salary can easily gao tim...
    Don't cheapen his efforts by dragging the ministerial pay debate into the picture

  5. #5
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Yes its easy to dig out money to donate to charity and anyone rich enough can do that but lets give credits where its due and this is effort.

  6. #6
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    a few ministers spending a month's salary can easily gao tim...
    You know, the same could be said for any effort put into charity. The people participating in those efforts should just abandon the effort and put in their month's salary, sometimes it will even exceed the result a few times.

    So what have you done for charity? Dismissive talk is cheap.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 30th August 2014 at 08:35 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    How many of us can raise $1.8m with our travel photos?

    At the end of the day, $1.8m was raised for four charities. If you think about it, it's not unlike those charity gala dinners that charge upwards of $10K per table. Rich people using their resources/influence to raise money for charity is still a better situation than rich people doing nothing... No one is obliged to do or give anything to charity.

    The money will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the Government, bringing the total to more than S$1.8 million.
    Last edited by kandinsky; 30th August 2014 at 08:48 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You know, the same could be said for any effort put into charity. The people participating in those efforts should just abandon the effort and put in their month's salary, sometimes it will even exceed the result a few times.

    So what have you done for charity? Dismissive talk is cheap.
    Wisest man tell me: true charity is carried out in secret. Left hand don't know what right hand is doing.

    Just because I am dismissive, doesn't mean I haven't done anything...so don't dismiss me, kitty.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    How many of us can raise $1.8m with our travel photos?

    At the end of the day, $1.8m was raised for four charities. If you think about it, it's not unlike those charity gala dinners that charge upwards of $10K per table. Rich people using their resources/influence to raise money for charity is still a better situation than rich people doing nothing... No one is obliged to do or give anything to charity.
    nobody is saying this post is dismissive. What I am saying is that ministers are generous with their salary...kena shoot by defender
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  10. #10
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Wisest man tell me: true charity is carried out in secret. Left hand don't know what right hand is doing.

    Just because I am dismissive, doesn't mean I haven't done anything...so don't dismiss me, kitty.
    Yes, sometimes it is so secret that maybe you don't even know what you have done.

    That's the highest level of charity.

  11. #11
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    nobody is saying this post is dismissive.
    Dismissive: feeling or showing that something is unworthy of consideration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma
    a few ministers spending a month's salary can easily gao tim...
    About as dismissive as it gets, in my book.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Yes, sometimes it is so secret that maybe you don't even know what you have done.

    That's the highest level of charity.
    Please don't be dismissive about charity you'll never know.


  13. #13

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Great effort by Minister Tan CJ. Putting photography to good use for a worthy cause.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  14. #14
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Cat Fight wor...



    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Yes, sometimes it is so secret that maybe you don't even know what you have done.

    That's the highest level of charity.
    unfortunately it's a prevalent mentality in the MIW and their supporters to toot their horn and claim credit for every good thing they'd done. (not that I am accusing Minister Tan of it)

    I know what I did and that's good enough for me. For me there's no need to come out and declare it. I am sure that the ministers are generous and willing and most importantly, able...
    they can make bigger contribution towards Minister Tan fundraising effort because of their means. hard truth
    truth hurts
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  16. #16

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    I think what was done here is commendable, raising money for charity is always a good thing.

    However, I am not so sure if he could have reached that level with his photography were he not a minister. Note that this is not a personal attack, I am just saying that it could have easily been another walkathon, a half marathon, an art event or any and something else, the end result could have been the same.

  17. #17
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post

    unfortunately it's a prevalent mentality in the MIW and their supporters to toot their horn and claim credit for every good thing they'd done. (not that I am accusing Minister Tan of it)

    I know what I did and that's good enough for me. For me there's no need to come out and declare it. I am sure that the ministers are generous and willing and most importantly, able...
    they can make bigger contribution towards Minister Tan fundraising effort because of their means. hard truth
    truth hurts
    You make the erroneous assumption that the only contributors to the effort (or people who disagree with your reaction) are of a certain vein. That's sad, because I am sure most people actually have relationships beyond a political level. Why don't you take a look at the post on the event on his page? Also, you won't catch me stereotyping any political party's supporters as a certain type or exhibiting a certain behaviour. Singapore is such a varied society, to do so just leads to a loss of objective perspective.

    Every little bit, no matter how big or small counts. If you think $900,000 is a small thing to anyone, Africa would be free of poverty long ago. So maybe it is easy, maybe it is hard, but I still think your reaction in the first instance was uncalled for. It is one thing to express your opinion but outright and immediate dismissal is rather unfair to the effort made, no matter how easy you think it is. Cheers.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 31st August 2014 at 07:35 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You make the erroneous assumption that the only contributors to the effort (or people who disagree with your reaction) are of a certain vein. That's sad, because I am sure most people actually have relationships beyond a political level. Why don't you take a look at the post on the event on his page? Also, you won't catch me stereotyping any political party's supporters as a certain type or exhibiting a certain behaviour. Singapore is such a varied society, to do so just leads to a loss of objective perspective.

    Every little bit, no matter how big or small counts. If you think $900,000 is a small thing to anyone, Africa would be free of poverty long ago. So maybe it is easy, maybe it is hard, but I still think your reaction in the first instance was uncalled for. It is one thing to express your opinion but outright and immediate dismissal is rather unfair to the effort made, no matter how easy you think it is. Cheers.
    can't win you la
    say minister generous and willing and able also erroneous . say minister support fellow minister... also erroneous.

    meow
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    can't win you la....
    Don't try to win arguments here.

    It'll drive you to grave early even you have 9 lives.

    Last edited by Sion; 31st August 2014 at 10:34 AM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Tan Chuan-Jin's photography book raises over S$900k for charity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    say minister generous and willing and able also erroneous . say minister support fellow minister... also erroneous.
    Always express a middle opinion so that you won't be accused of being dismissive and erroneous.
    Last edited by Sion; 31st August 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •