Thread: Born into Brothels

Default Born into Brothels

anyone seen the documentary?... common lets throw away all our slrs or dslrs and start using film P&S. haha. seriously i think the kids's way of framing the pics and the subjects are very very good. and lastly the documentary is really2 daring, the thruth is sometimes too hard to handle.

noone has yet to watch the show???
    Last edited by bumortic; 2nd August 2005 at 03:01 AM.

Yeah lah, some of us have work commitments unlike you. Also watch never chio one. Wah liao eh U. Upset sia~

bumortic psygnosis

Yeap have watched it. (Ahem, I'm from the Singapore Film Society so we're the ones responsible for bringing it in). I really enjoyed it, though the first time I saw it I wasn't that overwhelmed by it.

Well you also need a good tutor. Zana Briski is a World Press Photographer winner before she went to Calcutta, and I think she thought the kids really well.

BTW, the DVD is coming out in Sept, with an update on how the kids are doing.

is this still screening? if not, where can i watch it?

thanks

I think you missed the screenings liow...never mind, can get the DVD!

I watched it with a group of friends and all of us were moved by it, pity not every kid carried on with their studies tho...but life's like that, we can only try our best...and Zana certainly did a wonderful job!

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing
    Yeap have watched it. (Ahem, I'm from the Singapore Film Society so we're the ones responsible for bringing it in). I really enjoyed it, though the first time I saw it I wasn't that overwhelmed by it.

Well you also need a good tutor. Zana Briski is a World Press Photographer winner before she went to Calcutta, and I think she thought the kids really well.

BTW, the DVD is coming out in Sept, with an update on how the kids are doing.
    ouuh so u were the ppl who were responsible for screening it in my sch.. thanks a million. tha show is really2 good and daring.

Cool. Do check out the website Kids With Cameras. With the success of the movie more of the kids are going back to school and the filmmakers are building a school for children such as those in the brothels.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing
    Cool. Do check out the website Kids With Cameras. With the success of the movie more of the kids are going back to school and the filmmakers are building a school for children such as those in the brothels.
    okok will do that later.

Default Re: Born into Brothels

NYT article about a photography exhibition the kids put up in ICP.

"We are one soul and nine bodies." That is how Avijit, one of the irrepressible children in the Oscar-winning documentary "Born Into Brothels," summed up the bond that joins the alumni of Zana Briski's photography class.

The children's story is by now well known, thanks to the sad, beautiful film that Ms. Briski and Ross Kauffman made about the youngsters' pinched lives in Sonagachi, the largest red-light district in Calcutta. Their world opened up when Ms. Briski, a photojournalist struck by the children's plight, decided to give them cameras and teach them photography.

Avijit actually makes his observation in "Born Into Brothels: Reconnecting," a short three-years-after addendum to the original film that shows the ecstatic reunion of Ms. Briski and most of the children. They were between 8 and 12 when "Born Into Brothels" was shot; they are entering adolescence now, taller, more mature and, thanks to her efforts, attending boarding schools. They appear to have been rescued.

Ms. Briski's life has changed, too. In 2002, she founded Kids With Cameras, an international nonprofit organization that is building a school for the children of Sonagachi, partly with money from the sales of her students' photographs. (Kids With Cameras has also established programs in Haiti, Jerusalem and Cairo.)

More than three dozen of these photographs, many seen in the film and also published in a book last year, make up "Kids With Cameras: Calcutta," an exhibition on view through Sunday at the School of the International Center of Photography. The show was organized by Kids With Cameras, HBO/Cinemax Documentary Films and the school, where Ms. Briski earned a certificate in photojournalism and documentary photography in 1991, and it precedes the television premiere of "Born Into Brothels," on Tuesday evening on Cinemax.

The photographs form a close to ravishing, sometimes wrenching exhibition that in many ways confirms Avijit's "one soul," for there are only intermittent signs of individual sensibilities. But nearly all the images are amazing in one way or another, as documents, artifacts or artworks, or for their sometimes uncanny resemblance to photographs that you might come across in a Chelsea gallery.

Often off kilter or shot from strange angles, the best have an implicit excitement of discovery that recalls the entrancing images that Jacques-Henri Lartigue, as a 10-year-old boy in France in the early 1900's, took of his family. These are images taken by children learning to see themselves and their world in a new way, with the help of a magical new tool.