Thread: Swiss and Paris in Winter

Default Swiss and Paris in Winter

I am planning for 10 days in Swiss and 3 days in Paris in Dec.

Where are the must go and must do in Swiss during Winter? I have yet to map out where I will be going. I will be arriving in Zurich, tour Swiss, then back to Zurich to take train to Paris.

Given that I will be spending only 3 days outside of Swiss. Would Paris be an ideal romantic getaway? Or there are more romantic places in the bordering countries around Swiss that I should go instead? This city should offer direct flight back to sin via SIA.

If Gping to Paris, where are the must go within 3 days? All advices will be appreciated.

Default Re: Swiss and Paris in Winter

Allow me to share with you what I did instead of recommending. I flew to Zurich and spent two nights each in Luzern (Lucerne), Interlaken and Zermatt before returning to Zurich for a night's stay. That was in Dec 2012. It was just after a week of snow storm, and the left over thick snow created spectacular sceneries in Zermatt, which we enjoyed most. Should you choose to go to Zermatt or the Jungfrau mountains above Interlaken, be adequately clothed with the right jacket, hat and waterproof shoes. I saw a group of Singaporean tourists travelling on a group tour. Many did not clothe themselves well enough for minus 12-16 deg C temperature at the top of Jungfrau mountain regions. I saw a few feeling very sick - turning pale and blue at the lips - when they came back from outside which was snowing with high winds. A few complained that their cameras stopped working altogether. I kept my camera under my jacket and pulled it out to snap when needed. I had no problems and the camera worked well.

Another caution is when you arrive at the top of Zermatt's mountain region after 3 stages of steep cable car rides, you will have to walk through a tunnel cut out in the mountain to go to the other side where skiers start their decent. There's a cafe there with some lookout areas. The air within that tunnel is very thin and my wife fell ill and breathless - literally turned blue due to the cold and thin air because her jacket and shoes weren't good enough. Adequate clothing, hat and waterproof shoes are essential. And walk slowly within the tunnel to avoid running out of breath, unless you are very fit and healthy. My daughter and I were clothed with good Timberland jackets and Gore-Tex lined boots; we were comfortable and managed to stay at least 10 minutes or more at the highest point in the open under strong winds and minus 16 deg. (See a photo in my Flickr site.) I guess if you didn't encounter high winds and snowing, it wouldn't be as bad as I've described.

We like Zermatt for its beauty in the Dec winter season although some mid-level towns between Interlaken (at ground level) and Jungfrau mountain top were beautiful as well. I like Grindelwald; it's a picturesque small town.

For Paris in 3 days, just use the Metro (subway) trains to visit the usual popular places like the Eiffel Towel, Louvre Museum, etc. You can buy a 10-ticket pack at the Metro station, each ticket to be used for a single trip. Ask for the Carnet (Car-nay). The 10-ticket pack costs less than buying 10 of them individually. Another option is to be in Paris city for 2 days, and spent the 3rd on a day trip by train to Versaille palace. It is worth the trip, especially if you take the guided tour at Versaille palace itself which brings you from room to room either in the King's chamber wing or Queen's. On your own, you won't have access to these chambers. Going by train on your own is the simplest and cheapest option. Don't join a tour from Paris; it will cost a lot more than finding your own way there by train which is easy and takes about 2 hours.

I cannot over-emphasise regarding proper clothing, shoes and hat for Dec winter season when going up the Swiss mountains. Be well prepared to really enjoy Switzerland better. You have chosen two of the best places in Europe to visit - both Switzerland and Paris are excellent for tourists. Switzerland is very safe when moving about; in Paris, be careful with your personal belongings at all times in touristy places.

:-)
    Last edited by macVince; 31st August 2014 at 10:16 PM.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Thanks MacVince for sharing your experience. I have a Swiss friend who has also shared with me that snowfall is unpredictable. Some years it can have little, others it may be very heavy. So definitely have to be prepared for both.

Where do you shop for your winter wear in Singapore? Due to the need to cater to thicker under clothing , I am hesitant to buy online. Better to try than to waste money on wrong sizes.

If you can also share how you move from places to places in Swiss. I have a group of 9 with young kids in tow. Taking public transport may be a hassle with lots of luggage a and kids. I am contemplating renting a car but am worried about driving in winter and frozen roads may not be something we want to attempt.

And where would you recommend for learning to skii for kids with gentle slopes?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 1st September 2014 at 08:30 AM.

There's a Timberland shop in Raffles City which has good jackets and boots. For under-clothes, we all use Heat-Tech from Uniqlo. They are thin yet keep us warm. We used Swiss Rail Passes which offer discounts on boat rides, mountain cog trains and entrance fees. (On hindsight, we could have saved if we buy single-trip intercity train tickets at the stations instead of paying for the Swiss Passes. The inter-city trains are comfortable and timely. Driving is discouraged: expensive to rent, petrol price is high and parking is also expensive. It could be dangerous to drive when it is snowing. Gentle ski slopes are not hard to find. Once you are there, the hotels can give you recommendations. For hotels, I booked using booking.com. It's convenient and I'm sure I have paid a little more for the service. If you visit the TripAdvisor sub-forum for Switzerland, you could get some good info from those who post and share info there.

I guess your priority would be to ensure the children are not exposed to the winter cold. Keeping them from catching a cold, flu or pneumonia should be a priority. Plan well and you'll be alright.
    Last edited by macVince; 1st September 2014 at 10:50 PM.

You may also like to visit the Winning shop. One is in Century Square opposite Mr. Prata stall at the Food Junction level. Their website is winningmktg.com. One of my cousins bought a bright yellow jacket & used it for Jungfraujoch visit. Looks nice.
    Last edited by macVince; 2nd September 2014 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    You may also like to visit the Winning shop. One is in Century Square opposite Mr. Prata stall at the Food Junction level. Their website is winningmktg.com. One of my cousins bought a bright yellow jacket & used it for Jungfraujoch visit. Looks nice.
    Thanks. I have checked out Arctyrex and Mammut at Waterloo, and Northface at Marina Square. Winter wear in Singapore is not cheap even with discounts. Will check out winningmktg.

Anyone with contacts or know of any photographer who lives in Paris and do pre-wedding photoshoot there?

And what is the going rate for such a shoot in Paris?