Thread: newbie here! wjich compact camera would u choose? and why?

Default newbie here! wjich compact camera would u choose? and why?

Hi there, as my titled, i have do googling for few days about compact camera, but still struggling which one to buy cause is too much to choose. Here are something im interesting in budget below $800.
    Wifi
    HD video
    Size (not bigger than g16)
    Viewfinder
    Build in flash
    Zoom (x10 up?)
    Flexible lcd screens (adjustable)
    Please advice! Thanks in advance!

(Here are something im interested so far)
    Sony rx100 iii
    Lumix LX7
    Lumix GF6
    Lumix GM1
    Sony HX60V
    Canon powershot SX700HS
    Canon powershot G16

If you can do without the flip screen (something which I feel is more essential in bigger cameras than a compact), u can consider the Panasonic LF1.
    hi

Default Re: newbie here! wjich compact camera would u choose? and why?

A couple of points to note.

- Viewfinder, I'm not sure if you are referring to the "small-box" for your eyes to look thru? Some models like Canon PowerShot, the viewfinder is "fake", it's not what you see. when you zoom in and out, the viewfinder still remains the same. It's different from Sony's RX100 series where it's electronic viewfinder.

- 10X zoom. Do you have any reference for what you want to shoot? The main reason being that 10x or 20x zoom don't make any sense. E.g. A lens marked 18mm-200mm is 11x zoom and another lens 150mm-500mm is 3.3x zoom only. At the moment, I'm assuming that the 10x zoom is probably around 24mm - 120mm (~there about)

If you have the budget for Sony RX100 III, I'll just go for that. At the moment, it's still >$800 ( more like ~$1000). Mainly due to the 1 inch sensor (biggest among the P&S class) and tilt screen. But I still find that it's abit expensive for a P&S. Maybe you can check out the RX100 II instead. (I do not know the difference between the mk II and mk III, additional readings required on your own)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by bibubibu89 View Post
    Hi there, as my titled, i have do googling for few days about compact camera, but still struggling which one to buy cause is too much to choose. Here are something im interesting in budget below $800.
    Wifi
    HD video
    Size (not bigger than g16)
    Viewfinder
    Build in flash
    Zoom (x10 up?)
    Flexible lcd screens (adjustable)
    Please advice! Thanks in advance!

(Here are something im interested so far)
    Sony rx100 iii
    Lumix LX7
    Lumix GF6
    Lumix GM1
    Sony HX60V
    Canon powershot SX700HS
    Canon powershot G16
    Of the lot that you are interested in, RX100III should give you the best IQ for compact camera. However... the price is not going to be below 800... and I doubt even if you find a second hand one, it will go below that price. You can however check out the RX100II which is going to be pretty nice.

GF6 and GM1 are technically not compact camera but mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. They are m4/3 and have the biggest sensor in the lot... And I really don't think you can get any of these two (maybe the GF6) under 800 and with the kit lens... it don't have zoom of x10 up. However, of the lot, I am thinking that the changeable lens cameras are the most flexible... just that the lenses don't exactly come cheap.

Please also looked into Olympus EPM2, which is going off at a pretty nice price nowadays... and EPM2 is not that large either.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Erm, probably i need macro to long distance shoot something like 15mm-500mm? Im quite confuse , instead of those i listed, any others brand/model to recommend?

You don't need more model recommendations; you need some clarity! (Seriously, every person here has his own preferences and needs, most different from yours, and you will soon be inundated with recommendations, leaving you more confused than ever)

What do you shoot, or what do you intend to shoot? That's more important and would let the members here point you in the right direction. There's no point coming up with a list of specs if you don't really understand them.

If you're a casual shooter, just about any $400 - 600 compact will do.

Erm, probably i need macro to long distance shoot something like 15mm-500mm? Im quite confuse , instead of those i listed, any others brand/model to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If you have the budget for Sony RX100 III, I'll just go for that. At the moment, it's still >$800 ( more like ~$1000). Mainly due to the 1 inch sensor (biggest among the P&S class) and tilt screen. But I still find that it's abit expensive for a P&S. Maybe you can check out the RX100 II instead. (I do not know the difference between the mk II and mk III, additional readings required on your own)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Of the lot that you are interested in, RX100III should give you the best IQ for compact camera. However... the price is not going to be below 800... and I doubt even if you find a second hand one, it will go below that price. You can however check out the RX100II which is going to be pretty nice.
    The RX-100 II is a good idea as it is much cheaper than the RX-100 III. I remembered seeing the III at $11xx and the II at $8xx at the Canon showroom recently.

The differences:
    http://www.gizmag.com/sony-rx100-iii...parison/32227/

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    The RX-100 II is a good idea as it is much cheaper than the RX-100 III. I remembered seeing the III at $11xx and the II at $8xx at the Canon showroom recently.

The differences:
    http://www.gizmag.com/sony-rx100-iii...parison/32227/
    Canon showroom showing Sony products?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Canon showroom showing Sony products?
    Ok Sony lah, my bad.

Thanks guys, will think deeply , and get whats i really need!

Thanks guys, will think deeply , and get whats i really need!
    Actually, when you are getting a new camera, you would likely (should), have known what you want to do with it. As in casually shooting cityscape or shooting selfie only or other stuffs. That will narrow down the selection of camera after the budget criteria.

Actually, when you are getting a new camera, you would likely (should), have known what you want to do with it. As in casually shooting cityscape or shooting selfie only or other stuffs. That will narrow down the selection of camera after the budget criteria.
    What about (lumix gx7) vs (sony rx100 iii) ?

They are two separate classes of cameras...
    hi

The question at hand now is not about the camera selections. But what you are going to use it for? Some cameras are better in some areas. So, it's possible that without the "requirements", we might be recommending one that may not meet your requirement.

Ok im looking a compact camera that can record very good quality video, my daughter is coming to this world real soon, wanted to record everythings every single moment. And of course can use for traveling in future or some daily shoots.

Million appreciation for any advice giys!

Ah, that makes things easier.

Since it's going to be a newborn, that also means you will be getting alot busier (lesser time to play with camera stuffs) So, I will suggest to keep it simple (you won't get much chance to be fiddling with the camera and stuffs) and get those P&S model like as earlier listed. RX100 mk II or LX7. If you can afford the cost of RX100, get that one.

Both are simple to use, light to carry (your bags will be filled with pampers and other baby stuffs while going out) and no lack of features that you will be using. Namely, the P,A,S,M dials are there when you want to play with 'advance' settings. Most of the time, P or Auto will do the job
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 30th August 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks for the advice mate!
    Will go hands*on at shop!