Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Perhaps this is why they are extra sensitive. Yishun MRT Station was a terrorist target in 2001.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...es_attack_plot

    On another note, does it really help improve the image of photographers by "standing your rights" and acting like a big bully? Why not simply smile, compile and then write in to their superiors to clarify and get clearance and come back. Then you can shoot all you want without interference. For all you know the guards might even tell you the best angles to shoot.
    Did you read my post? I already know that Yishun was target by terrorist back in 2001. I also don't think that standing my right make me look like a bully. If you were there you will feel how unreasonable the staff sound. Even the aunty seating near our setup which she overhear everything also few that they are being too unreasonable. I already explained to the staff politely what I am doing and the duration I'm will be there for. When they ask about what we are doing we only have about 15mins left on the timer for my timelapse panning head. Because who would have thought that shooting on a public area is against their company policy. And like I say if shooting there really is a big security threats they should put up a sign warning people. They should at least allow us to finish our video since we only have 15mins left. And do you think those bus enthusiasts ask permission everytime they want to take pictures of buses at bus interchange or bus stop? But still after this incident I would called up and get a letter or something before going down.
    Last edited by He An; 28th August 2014 at 11:56 AM.

  2. #42
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Bus enthusiasts don't sit around for 30 minutes mar.

    Enforcement wise, it is not practical for SMRT to hire 20 staff to just sit around the bus interchange to keep a lookout for such ongoings.

  3. #43

    Default

    Now it's about personal rights and entitlements vs company policies. If they have informed you that you cannot film/shoot there and asked you to leave, why are you standing firm on your rights as an individual?

    If they let this slide and just allow it, you might never know if one day, someone uses the same reason as you to film other bus interchanges for terror purposes. At least they did their due diligence. Are you going to fault them on trying their best to ensure public security?

  4. #44
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Now it's about personal rights and entitlements vs company policies.
    Yes, it is like that. The request of the SMRT staff limits the personal freedom of the individual (TS) to take pictures. The limitations of rights must be clearly justified and regulated to avoid abuse.
    Here, the rights to take pictures are already granted based on the FAQ in the website. The more it is questionable what has been done by the various people from SMRT and security staff.
    EOS

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Talk about security. I think more like "link" sure can pass all security. Like the recent couple taking their wedding photo at ndp rehearsal. I was wth, like that also can? If TS got "link" with smrt, a big bag with equipments also boleh. Too bad TS dont and so, got chased away.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

    thinking from another perspective, the first guard might have been new and not sure about the regulations so he said "ok". but the other more experienced guard found out and approached you to stop you.

    a security guard who made a mistake doesn't exempt you from continuing something that's against the regulations stipulated by the building's owner/owners.
    You are wrong. The less experience will chase you away more often as they scare of this n that. The old bird, chim chye la, take photos only mah.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  7. #47
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He An View Post
    Did you read my post? I already know that Yishun was target by terrorist back in 2001. I also don't think that standing my right make me look like a bully. If you were there you will feel how unreasonable the staff sound. Even the aunty seating near our setup which she overhear everything also few that they are being too unreasonable. I already explained to the staff politely what I am doing and the duration I'm will be there for. When they ask about what we are doing we only have about 15mins left on the timer for my timelapse panning head. Because who would have thought that shooting on a public area is against their company policy. And like I say if shooting there really is a big security threats they should put up a sign warning people. They should at least allow us to finish our video since we only have 15mins left. And do you think those bus enthusiasts ask permission everytime they want to take pictures of buses at bus interchange or bus stop? But still after this incident I would called up and get a letter or something before going down.
    You do not own the place kid. Whilst I agree that the approach from the staff maybe unreasonable and perhaps authoritative, you could've taken down their names and file your feedback. However, Even as a student, onus is on you to check before embarking on your project. Do not take things for granted. Now, please also take note that even at HDB blocks, neighborhood, shopping malls or any buildings, requires written permission.
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

  8. #48
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    You are on private property - yes surprising no ? SMRT/SBS are private companies and to be exact listed companies. They are not a government agency or arm. The station - train, bus are on private grounds but you can access this as a consumer of the services they sell. If you are going there for any other reasons like filming, peddling or even distributing flyers you are there without permission (if you did not ask and get permission nothing to be said) you can asked to stop, detain and handed over to the police as trespasser. They do not have to give you a logical answer, another way to see this who are you to demand a reason ? Remember it is private property, so even a shareholder does not have that right save at AGM you can ask about this in the other matters section.
    It is your tone of entitlement that makes me smile, as it is based on nothing but your sense of importance which the world never recognizes.
    SMRT/SBS does not own the properties.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    You are wrong. The less experience will chase you away more often as they scare of this n that. The old bird, chim chye la, take photos only mah.
    don't make sweeping statements.

    how old are you again? and how relaxed are you about things? you seem pretty anal about stuff.

    i seem to recall that you mentioned once that you're an older gentleman. so, are you more relaxed about stuff or really, really pissy when things happen

  10. #50
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    ....For all you know the guards might even tell you the best angles to shoot.
    If you are lucky enough he even takes down the wire frame of bus terminal toilet window and let you stand on toilet bowl for the definitive bus terminal shot.


  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

    don't make sweeping statements.

    how old are you again? and how relaxed are you about things? you seem pretty anal about stuff.

    i seem to recall that you mentioned once that you're an older gentleman. so, are you more relaxed about stuff or really, really pissy when things happen
    Is not how old am I or not but I work with a lot of field and not struck in one corner like people and thought they know more than other. Ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  12. #52
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Is not how old am I or not but I work with a lot of field and not struck in one corner like people and thought they know more than other. Ha ha!
    You're not old. In fact you're quite cute and sexy.


  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

    You're not old. In fact you're quite cute and sexy.
    How do you get my photo? Jialat, need to go korea liao. Ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  14. #54
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Yes, it is like that. The request of the SMRT staff limits the personal freedom of the individual (TS) to take pictures. The limitations of rights must be clearly justified and regulated to avoid abuse.
    Here, the rights to take pictures are already granted based on the FAQ in the website. The more it is questionable what has been done by the various people from SMRT and security staff.
    Name:  faq smrt.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  67.5 KB

    "the rights to take pictures are already granted based on the FAQ in the website" That's the mod's claim but that does not mean you do NOT do due diligent to the other condition ALSO STATED in the FAQ you quoted which is to write in and wait two weeks for a reply to the request. Do not pick and choose what you want to write just to win an argument please. I have seen and have seen many others shooting the occasional photos in the station or train ad hoc quck snappies without problems but if you start to take out tripod and spend time shooting proper shots within their premises then that is really up to them as you DID NOT FULFILL their stated conditions. In that case they have the right to ask you to stop.

    As for staff working on the ground doing security at their pay grade, they might have made errors in how they handle this but I can only GUESS it would be to not allow photography as an over-arching protocol and leave the decision making to the upper management. That's a control protocol to eliminate operational issues on the working floor. That is something every organization does if you have no idea about that, that is just because you don't know better. The fact that you ONLY have to write in to request if you have more then a passing interest to snap photos, I don't see why that so hard to do? What is your rights???? What is THEIR RIGHTS THEN? Your individual rights TRIUMPH everyone elses including other folks int he station who you order to move aside as they block a shot for example? Common courtesy how about that?

    That's why I have resorted to scolding bad Singapore manners when i am out in the public or worst overseas. This over importance of SELF and too much HOLLYWOOD movies about rights and freedom. Such as disproportion of what that means these days and abuse of the word. Wait till you go overseas in the so call LAND OF THE FREE... so many places I was told to erase my photos and threaten with arrest just for a simple few shot of a famous building as I walk if there was a guard. ( NY is the worst though it has improve now that 911 is further along in their memories). Here you can still write in and some of you want to complain. tsk tsk tsk.

    This is Clubsnap and is well regarded as far as I know to be the place to go for a lot of helpful information but as a representative of this place like over 10 yrs, it is only right we give the right information in the interest of photography, good practices and well guided to the facts.
    Last edited by sammy888; 29th August 2014 at 12:06 PM.

  15. #55
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    "the rights to take pictures are already granted based on the FAQ in the website" That's the mod's claim but that does not mean you do NOT do due diligent to the other condition ALSO STATED in the FAQ you quoted which is to write in and wait two weeks for a reply to the request. Do not pick and choose what you want to write just to win an argument please. I have seen and have seen many others shooting the occasional photos in the station or train ad hoc quck snappies without problems but if you start to take out tripod and spend time shooting proper shots within their premises then that is really up to them as you DID NOT FULFILL their stated conditions. In that case they have the right to ask you to stop
    Shall we keep things in the right context and stop ranting? Maybe my answer to kei1309 is a bit misleading, so let me rephrase it. Secondly, I have the function of a moderator, but that does not mean I am free of mistakes nor shall my postings be taken as an official CS statement. Official statements would be clearly marked as such.
    1) Shooting for personal usage is allowed as per your attached image. This is part of general rights of individuals to take pictures in the public. Based on Common Law this does not need any specific law or regulation to approve it. The fact that it is not forbidden is sufficient here. Limitations of these rights (e.g. in certain areas, buildings, occasions) need to be clearly specified and justified. Which means: any staff requesting a photographer to pack and go without giving a proper reason is overstepping the line. A reason has facts, not some generic phrases or even based on implied allegations of wrong-doings. I'm sure you have seen the various cases reported here.
    2) For any other projects it is clearly stated on the FAQ and I don't understand your ranting here. If different staff give different responses then this issues needs to be addressed. To me, this is not something about protocol or processes. (To many people hide behind processes for whatever reasons..) It's about the knowledge and empowerment of the staff acting on the ground to handle such situations. Here is the root cause of this problem and similar cases we have seen in the past. (Agreed, a few selfish guys are also in between.)
    [..ranting snipped...]
    I understand your comments about US and Hollywood and stuff, but that's a bit far fetched here. I come from a country where we believe in a reasonable balance between individual rights and the interests of the society. I acknowledge the interests for safety and security of companies and the country. But this must be transparent and the respective staff need to act responsible and consistent.
    EOS

  16. #56
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Shall we keep things in the right context and stop ranting? Maybe my answer to kei1309 is a bit misleading, so let me rephrase it. Secondly, I have the function of a moderator, but that does not mean I am free of mistakes nor shall my postings be taken as an official CS statement. Official statements would be clearly marked as such.
    1) Shooting for personal usage is allowed as per your attached image. This is part of general rights of individuals to take pictures in the public. Based on Common Law this does not need any specific law or regulation to approve it. The fact that it is not forbidden is sufficient here. Limitations of these rights (e.g. in certain areas, buildings, occasions) need to be clearly specified and justified. Which means: any staff requesting a photographer to pack and go without giving a proper reason is overstepping the line. A reason has facts, not some generic phrases or even based on implied allegations of wrong-doings. I'm sure you have seen the various cases reported here.
    2) For any other projects it is clearly stated on the FAQ and I don't understand your ranting here. If different staff give different responses then this issues needs to be addressed. To me, this is not something about protocol or processes. (To many people hide behind processes for whatever reasons..) It's about the knowledge and empowerment of the staff acting on the ground to handle such situations. Here is the root cause of this problem and similar cases we have seen in the past. (Agreed, a few selfish guys are also in between.)
    [..ranting snipped...]
    I understand your comments about US and Hollywood and stuff, but that's a bit far fetched here. I come from a country where we believe in a reasonable balance between individual rights and the interests of the society. I acknowledge the interests for safety and security of companies and the country. But this must be transparent and the respective staff need to act responsible and consistent.
    Nah.. I said what I needed to say. For you to understand more about human dynamics, how staff management is implemented in an organization to manage damage control from top down to the low pay grade level and know what problems come from giving too much information to authorities and to who gets to do what, you got to learn something about HR and training. or better yet, Join the Army. It is only when you understand fully could you appreciate why things like this can happen and why some rules are there for the good of all...even if some don't think so. I am no opposition party who hate govt action all the time.. but I do know when somethings in life require order and less freedom or just need to give way to self righteous mentality. You caught two staff who both got their wires cross and for that you all want to exploit that to demonstrate about rights. Again.. as a representative of Clubsnap, why not write in for clarification and do a civil good then?

    And me ranting? When the title of this thread already is with the word RANT in it??? heheheh... and i i thought I was the one with eye problems just back form the doctor's office.
    Last edited by sammy888; 29th August 2014 at 06:19 PM.

  17. #57
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post

    Again.. as a representative of Clubsnap, why not write in for clarification and do a civil good then?.
    Then again, what makes you think we haven't?
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

  18. #58
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    I believe we already said enough and shared enough. To TS, simply put, I agree with Sammy888. Don't take things for granted. Although you are a student, the onus is on you to check before embarking on a project like this. Just FYI, even filming at HDB void decks, neighbourhood, buildings etc, require rightful permission from the FMs.

    So, like you said, let this be a lesson learnt and make sure you always check and write in for permission.
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    The security had no right to take down your ic info. You already gave up your rights when you handed them your ic.
    Why didn't you keep shooting until the police arrives? What could they have done? Drag you out? I doubt so.
    Last edited by christeo; 29th August 2014 at 11:24 PM.

  20. #60
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Filming and Photography is not allowed at (Yishun) Bus Interchange!! *Rant!!!

    Keep it civil guys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •