Thread: Whats with the current obsession with side mount flash?

Default Whats with the current obsession with side mount flash?

I seem to recall from my old days shooting film, that it was hell trying to shoot with my F3/F2 with the side mounted flash. Heck, i still don't use flash on my F3 if i can avoid it! Yet more and more, i see MOs for side mounted flash brackets. Makes me wonder if there is now a market for photos with long dragging shadows or something? I can understand those stroboframe quickflip, but some of these being advertised now are not much better than my old F3 model. If a side flash is so nice, why did nikon, canon, and all the others move out of it then?

Deregistered

It helps photographer to orgas easier.

huh? i find the whole setup quite leh cheh. Remember using the old metz hammerhead, super imbalance and horrid for portraits. Its only advantage was that it had lots of power to bounce! But a 580ex?

I mount my 580EX on the side too.......... when I'm taking shots in portrait orientation

vince123123
    Guests

I also never understood why people used hammerheads - shadows galore.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    huh? i find the whole setup quite leh cheh. Remember using the old metz hammerhead, super imbalance and horrid for portraits. Its only advantage was that it had lots of power to bounce! But a 580ex?