Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Shooting in Washington.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Shooting in Washington.

    Hi all, this recent event has triggered some thoughts.

    5 people going on about their normal lifes were shot dead in Washington in a 15 hour random shooting spree. All within miles of each other. A peaceful county, The homicide rate in Montgomery had risen 25% overnight.

    Now imagine, you yourself doing the thing you do everyday and just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. There, dead not knowing why.

    The Americans have always prided themselves as a nation of freedom. Does this include freedom to kill? I don't think so. However, sadly, some people view it otherwise. Life is cheap to them.

    For almost 2 generations, Americans have adopted the "non-violent" way of unbringing the young. That means no caning, etc. Their arguement being violent instills violent. My question is, after almost 2 generations, who is more violent?

    Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

  2. #2

    Default

    Are you saying you have been brought up well? Asia has its fair share of violence.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    oops, show time again...

  4. #4

    Default

    hopefully banal talk mods are more lenient.

  5. #5

    Default

    You have this amazing way to miss the point totally.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog
    Are you saying you have been brought up well? Asia has its fair share of violence.
    What I wish to talk about is the reaction of what people might have towards this kind of violence. I don't know what gave you the idea about me saying Asians are less violent. We're not. Compare all you want to but the point of this thread is not discuss who is superior.

    To answer your question just for the heck of it. Yes, I believe I'm brought up well enough not to go around killing people.

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    What I wish to talk about is the reaction of what people might have towards this kind of violence. I don't know what gave you the idea about me saying Asians are less violent. We're not. Compare all you want to but the point of this thread is not discuss who is superior.

    To answer your question just for the heck of it. Yes, I believe I'm brought up well enough not to go around killing people.
    Only because we don't have guns in Singapore. If they had, you'd go around on a shooting spree(no pun intended) in Clubsnap.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shooting in Washington.

    I would rather say, there are lots of factors contributing to the high crime rate and violence in this nation.

    In my opinion, one of the main contributing factors are TV shows, which portrayed violence, sex and other bad influence as something "cool".

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog


    Only because we don't have guns in Singapore. If they had, you'd go around on a shooting spree(no pun intended) in Clubsnap.
    Just as I expected. You're in no way mature enough to engage in intelligent discussions. What you're interested in is too show how enormous that big fat ego of yours really is. You can't stand being wrong and being told off by someone who knows better. Is that your attitute towards your teachers too? If that's the case then its just too bad. Can't wait to see you in 10 years, if I can find where you stand in society that is.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Re: Shooting in Washington.

    Originally posted by scanner
    I would rather say, there are lots of factors contributing to the high crime rate and violence in this nation.

    In my opinion, one of the main contributing factors are TV shows, which portrayed violence, sex and other bad influence as something "cool".
    I believe that's one reason. I think it all boils down to how an individual handles and acknowledges the responsibilities that come with freedom.

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Kit


    Just as I expected. You're in no way mature enough to engage in intelligent discussions. What you're interested in is too show how enormous that big fat ego of yours really is. You can't stand being wrong and being told off by someone who knows better. Is that your attitute towards your teachers too? If that's the case then its just too bad. Can't wait to see you in 10 years, if I can find where you stand in society that is.
    This is hardly an intelligible discussion. Its like some school assignment given to primary school students.

    Why is America so violent? Let me summarize for you since you're obviously battling with the mystery.

    I think everyone knows that America is a screwed up country. A nation that has the most number of billionaires but with a quarter of the population living below the poverty line. A nation constantly advocating peace but also constantly fighting some war. A nation that prohibits others from using nuclear and biological weapons but who has the biggest stockpile. Not forgetting most Americans are high on some form of drug. The Americans have chosen freedom. Let them battle with it. We have our own values that we can stick with.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog


    This is hardly an intelligible discussion. Its like some school assignment given to primary school students.

    Why is America so violent? Let me summarize for you since you're obviously battling with the mystery.

    I think everyone knows that America is a screwed up country. A nation that has the most number of billionaires but with a quarter of the population living below the poverty line. A nation constantly advocating peace but also constantly fighting some war. A nation that prohibits others from using nuclear and biological weapons but who has the biggest stockpile. Not forgetting most Americans are high on some form of drug. The Americans have chosen freedom. Let them battle with it. We have our own values that we can stick with.
    Oh really? Tell me then, why did the Clinton administration spend considerable amount of effort pushing the ban of guns and in the end without any success? Of course, every nit with a half brain will know banning guns will help in crime fighting but why is it not done? Let me know if you found a primary school student that can write an essay on that with a detail explanation on why Clinton couldn't do it?

    Everybody knows the Americans are extremely protective. Who is still using the imperial system of measurement? Remember Michael Fay? I don't disagree the points you've made as fairly accurate observations but you still couldn't grasp the point. What you said is not what I'm battling with to understand. I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't understand the points you were trying to make already.

    What you've effectively said is what you've accused me of doing in the first place, declaring the Americans are screwed. That's not the point of this thread. Its not set up as a troll in the first place so leave it that way.

    I say this again, the objective of this thread is to discuss the reaction on violence. Its not made to condemn any party. Why did I start it? I'm interested in knowing how it'll affect our way of lifes and the generations to come. It is extremely naive to say that we'll be safe if we stick to our own values. In reality, we won't be able to and can't survive on that. Like it or not, its called globalisation. Western influences are coming strong. How can we be selective in adopting the good things and move on? Again, let me know when you find an 8 year old who can answer these questions.

  13. #13

    Default

    I really don't think America will affect our lives in a negative way. Not much anyway. Name me an instance where a Singaporean imitates one of those drive by gunmen. All these acts of violence only disgust Asians like us. So rest assured, Singapore's future is safe so long as we don't vote the opposition in.

    The best example of negative American influence I can think of is non-violent and manifests itself in the likes of Annabel Chong.

    Lets not focus on the violence but instead on what good America has to offer which definitely outweigh the bad.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog
    I really don't think America will affect our lives in a negative way. Not much anyway. Name me an instance where a Singaporean imitates one of those drive by gunmen. All these acts of violence only disgust Asians like us. So rest assured, Singapore's future is safe so long as we don't vote the opposition in.

    The best example of negative American influence I can think of is non-violent and manifests itself in the likes of Annabel Chong.

    Lets not focus on the violence but instead on what good America has to offer which definitely outweigh the bad.
    Now you are talking!!!!! That's exactly my point!!! I don't think Singaporeans will pick up a gun and go trigger happy. Probably because there is a mandatory death sentence for discharging a firearm in the process of conduction criminal activities. That's a bit extreme to say the least but I do wonder if minor negativities will manifest itself.

    An example would be the atrocious behaviour of some kids towards anybody you name it, parents, teachers, mates, etc. Speaking to my mum who happens to be a teacher, parents assume a big resonosibility for this phenomenon. More are adopting the "no cane" policy in upbringing the young. Exactly wat the Americans are doing. See where this is going? I'm not saying that you have to cane your child day in day out but an appropriate amount of discipline has to be instilled. If this is not done, what's going to happen to their kids and their grand kids.

    Annabel Chong is a girl lost in directions and committed the unthinkable. Very sad actually to see how she ended up on a seemingly innocent educational trip to the US. In her quest to display her rebellious nature, she paid the ultimate price. My personal opinion.......... this case is more of trying too hard to go against everything she's been taught from young.

    There is nothing wrong with some opposition in parliament(as long as they're capable). I respect Mr Chiam See Tong for what he did, but let's not get too deep into this.

    In a way, focussing on violent events is a way to identify what's has to be done to prevent them in the first place. Not totally disregarding them as isolated cases and think they'll just go away. However, I've got to agree with you and that was my point in the first place, to adopt the good things of the western world.

  15. #15

    Default

    Sorry, I've to disagreed with what you said on "Singapore's future is safe so long as we don't vote the opposition in".
    Does it mean with the current party in power, we will be "safe forever"?

    Does it means that the oppositions are so bad? I do believe that there are some capable ones in the oppsition!

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by scanner
    Sorry, I've to disagreed with what you said on "Singapore's future is safe so long as we don't vote the opposition in".
    Does it mean with the current party in power, we will be "safe forever"?

    Does it means that the oppositions are so bad? I do believe that there are some capable ones in the oppsition!
    There is only one now. At any one time there is not enough to form a government.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog


    There is only one now. At any one time there is not enough to form a government.
    You don't have to change the government to do good. I believe I know who you're referring too and I think we need more of him. However, there are some people whom we should definitely see less of. People of oppose just for the sake of opposing. No names here but you can find him barking in Orchard area.

  18. #18

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog


    There is only one now. At any one time there is not enough to form a government.
    Yup! There is not enough to form a government, but do you ask yourself, why is that so?

    Anyway, I dun think I wan to dwell too much into politics....politics means DIRTY GAME!!!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default

    Originally posted by scanner


    Yup! There is not enough to form a government, but do you ask yourself, why is that so?

    Anyway, I dun think I wan to dwell too much into politics....politics means DIRTY GAME!!!!
    Yeah, I think we should leave that alone for now, not on this site anyway. Big brother is watching.

  20. #20

    Default

    A little info about guns in america. You can possess them. But you can't carry them on the streets. Its a crime to carry guns unless you've special license. For example, an FBI agent etc.

    Also, how do you suppose USA can really impose a ban on guns? The country is so big, you can get them anywhere. Can't imagine the man-effort and time required to impose such a ban.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •