Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed regarding photographer's right, upset photographer

Default Re: Help needed regarding photographer's right, upset photographer

Anyways i did a quick research before hand. Just want to confirm. so sorry if i wasted your time.

And thank you for everyone's time and friendly responses. Really appreciate those that can view it from my rookie perspective it helps me alot.

Quote Originally Posted by jieywong View Post
    The sad thing is that we were friends when i took the photos. Is like that moment you see that scenery and you can visualise that it would be awesome and you must capture it so you ask your friend to freeze that you can capture it. its just a normal day hang out with that friend. Unfortunately, due to some issues way before this particular incident that happen now we decided that we cant no longer with friends. That person used my piture as profile pic before. i approach that person and ask him to remove it and change it to something else and so that person change it to something else. And now that stranger is using that same photo i took(which is the one he/she used before as profile pic) as his/her election for his/her degree programme to elect as an event coordinator. Honestly speaking as an event coordinator it is basic courtesy to just at least ask for permission.
    basic regconition. he/she just replied in a very cocky way that i used his/her sister camera, he/her memory card and its a picture of so technically he/she get to use it. The point is i told him/her to take it down as facebook dp before now this thing happen. Don't think can payment also, he/she is using it to publicise him/herself.

I just want to know my rights as a photographer. so i won't make this same "mistake" again.
    Yes, you have the rights to the photo you took, regardless who's camera you use, but so what?

is there any proof to show you took this photo? if yes, how far you want to pursue this matter?

as like what you said, "its just a normal day hang out with that friend" you didn't think so much when you took this photo in the first place right?

but you try to make mountain out from a mole hill, that probably make you get this kind of replies.

now take a step back, is friendship is more important or your rights here?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

U don't seem to be a professional photographer as I believe they usually prefer to use their own equipments for works. If not then just let live,this is not a big issue. Iam curious what credits are u looking to claim?

There was once I was shooting at an event and had shot an editor whom is a FB acquaintance and sent her a PM and asked if she would like a few of the shots so I can emailed her. She agreed and I sent her and she was kind enough to ask me who to credits which I didn't expect nor looking at so I said it is ok don't need to. She posted in FB and credits to me nonetheless. A good gesture but iam not a professional photographer so I don't really mind lah. I know this is to each his own,but just to tell u that it is just a small matter that doesn't cost an arm or leg moreover that's your friend.

Oh please lor

Firstly,the camera is not even yours

Second, what do you get if he publish yr name out?

Since u r so emotional abt this, then in future, don't use someone's camera.
    Last edited by donut88; 25th August 2014 at 12:34 PM.

when I'm taking photos around tourist attraction spots, many locals or tourists ask me to help to take photos of them with their cameras or mobile phones, I always help them whenever I can.

although I shoot for money, but I never think so much on this, just simply want to help people and make their days feel great.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I am puzzled about how quickly people talk about rights and permissions when it's just a small favor - essentially this is what has been done. TS: to put your example into a different context: If you help a friend to setup his tv / home cinema equipment, do you acquire any rights on using it? Will you insist that there is a note on the screen saying "Setup by.."?
    Or are there some strange emotions about him no longer being your friend? You should find the answer for yourself.
    Save the legal discussions for the moment you are officially contracted to take pictures.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    Firstly,the camera is not even yours
    The ownership is completely irrelevant. What matters is intention and agreement between the parties.
    EOS

basic regconition. he/she just replied in a very cocky way that i used his/her sister camera, he/her memory card and its a picture of so technically he/she get to use it. The point is i told him/her to take it down as facebook dp before now this thing happen. Don't think can payment also, he/she is using it to publicise him/herself.

I just want to know my rights as a photographer. so i won't make this same "mistake" again.
    This action of yours could have cost the loss of a frienship, period

Maybe this will light up the day. The "owner" of the "copyright" is not even aware of what's going on...Monkey takes monkey owns

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433652
    Last edited by shierwin; 25th August 2014 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The ownership is completely irrelevant. What matters is intention and agreement between the parties.
    I agreed. But how practical it is to reach an agreement every time I use someone's camera?

Do I need to carry copies of agreements for someone to sign every time? I will have no friends left in the end.

Nowadays every one post on FB and other social. Who doesn't do that? So I take for some friends or even tourists, do I ask them to sign agreement?

TS should take it ez. Not everthing can be black and white in life.
    Last edited by donut88; 25th August 2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Thank you Octarine for pointing out the most important point of all. Ownership is completely irrelevant, is the intention and agreement made.

And yes donut88 i am emotional as you can see from the tone and the title of the thread that I started to ask for help.

Thank you shierwin for the interesting sharing of the article.

Thank you catchlights for your replies. I know that there is nothing much that i can do neither do i want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I too want to make people's day and if so they decided to use the picture that i pressed from the very shutter button I am more then happy.

Yes, Turbonetics i'm not a professional thats why i'm asking for help/opinion.

My personal point of view is that the person should at least let me know as an act of courtesy(and yes i know this depends on the very person which i have no control over). Its a habit of mine to just mention the name of the person (even if they are non-professionals or just random acquaintance) or even if its taken by a stranger i would just mention "credits to/ taken by stranger" if i ever post on facebook or other platforms.

Its just a simple act of courtesy that would be appreciated by every photographer or anyone.

For anyone that misunderstand that it is because of this particular photo taking that i'm ending my friendship i apologise for not stating it clearly that the friendship did not end base on any incident to do with photograph taking. Sadly to say after this incident it just meant that the used to be friend isn't as courteous as i thought he/she would be. He/she just decided to remove photo.

I value my friends and definitely would not make any hasty decision that will endanger the friendship as well as my hobby/passion for photography.

I just want to thank everyone for your contribution.
    Through this thread i've learnt that:

1. It does not matter whether the camera belongs to you, as long as you are the one that pressed the shutter button you own the photo rightfully provided that you can prove it.

2. I've learnt that my emotional thread causes me to invite responses which are inevitable, but hey i'm just human not a saint. Chill pill everyone, focus on the topic photographer's right ok.

3. I've also learnt more about copyrights on my own research (pardon me on my lack of knowledge on this field im a rookie) such as "Copyright laws do not, however, require the subject matter to be of artistic merit or to be worthy at all before it can be protected." (can't post link because i've not posted more than 50 post)

Hope anyone else can benefit from the thread yea?

Once again thank you this committee for your response

All the best to everyone in photography!

This thread can be closed. Arigatou gozaimasu
    Last edited by jieywong; 25th August 2014 at 02:49 PM.

Thank you Octarine for pointing out the most important point of all. Ownership is completely irrelevant, is the intention and agreement made.
    To make that point clear: agreements do not need to be written down. If you hand your camera to your friend to take a pic of yourself then this is an agreement among friends about taking that pic. Simple as that.
    1. It does not matter whether the camera belongs to you, as long as you are the one that pressed the shutter button you own the photo rightfully provided that you can prove it.
    This clause stops immediately once you are hired as photographer. At this moment, a huge bunch of new rules kick in. But this thread here is only about a pastime activity and a favor.
    Last edited by Octarine; 25th August 2014 at 02:43 PM.
    EOS

And yes donut88 i am emotional as you can see from the tone and the title of the thread that I started to ask for help.

Thank you catchlights for your replies. I know that there is nothing much that i can do neither do i want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I too want to make people's day and if so they decided to use the picture that i pressed from the very shutter button I am more then happy.

My personal point of view is that the person should at least let me know as an act of courtesy(and yes i know this depends on the very person which i have no control over). Its a habit of mine to just mention the name of the person (even if they are non-professionals or just random acquaintance) or even if its taken by a stranger i would just mention "credits to/ taken by stranger" if i ever post on facebook or other platforms.

Its just a simple act of courtesy that would be appreciated by every photographer or anyone.

For anyone that misunderstand that it is because of this particular photo taking that i'm ending my friendship i apologise for not stating it clearly that the friendship did not end base on any incident to do with photograph taking.

I value my friends and definitely would not make any hasty decision that will endanger the friendship as well as my hobby/passion for photography.

I just want to thank everyone for your contribution.
    Through this thread i've learnt that:

2. I've learnt that my emotional thread causes me to invite responses which are inevitable, but hey i'm just human not a saint. Chill pill everyone, focus on the topic photographer's right ok.

3. I've also learnt more about copyrights on my own research (pardon me on my lack of knowledge on this field im a rookie) such as "Copyright laws do not, however, require the subject matter to be of artistic merit or to be worthy at all before it can be protected."

Once again thank you this committee for your response

This thread can be closed. Arigatou gozaimasu
    Talking abt this, last week I just helped a group of office people (total strangers) to snap couple of pics using one of their smartphones at vivocity.

I should have make everyone of them (at least 12 people) to sign 12 copies of individual agreements, knowing that they will definitely post on FB or somewhere. Then I will feel shiok abt it

Once again thank you Octarine for being understanding and making it clearer to me.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12