Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Citizens of The People's Republic of China

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Talking about Military, I think you got this point wrong..
    Hmm.... Can't really remember figures.

DPRK Army: Apprx 1 billion
    People's Liberation Army: Apprx 2.5 million
    US Army: Apprx 1 million
    Russian Armed Forces: Apprx 1.5 million
    SAF: 1/2 million

Care to fill in the gap between DPRK and PLA?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by evq
    I agreed with Sjourn. They are what we were 20-30 years ago.
    I still notice our older generations spit. Thus, give them time. They will change.
    Unfortunately, some of them still do.... Seemingly forgotten lessons after SARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Here is the article:

By Chua Kong Ho

The Straits Times
    July 31, 2005

IT WAS ......
    after all, it was not too long ago when Singaporeans abroad too were labelled 'ugly', she said.

She added: 'It really depends on what strata of society they come from. As more Chinese get richer and become more exposed to other cultures, their social habits will improve just like Singaporeans did.'
    Actually, I think there are still a lot of us (Singaporeans), who are still 'ugly'... I can identify our fellow countrymen a mile away from their behaviour...

On the whole, PRC tourists and students are fine. I was formerly a retailer, and I definitely have my fair share of meeting them.

I guess, they just press their luck a bit too hard and offend local retailers. I guess it is their culture.

I just came back from Shanghai today. Let me tell you about them...

When I was in Shanghai, I was told by my Shanghai curator to adopt "their" way of bargaining to get really good deals. I resisted that thought. So, I went shopping and bought a gift worth RM500. She, trying to make a point, bought the same thing (after a long and heated arguement with the retailer there) at RM200.

She shoved the gift to me when we boarded the plane back to Singapore, she smirked and said that I definitely have to learn to bargain like they do.

Great, now I got two of the same thing.

I told her that I come from Singapore (and a non-representative Singaporean) and I don't really bargain. She was furious.

She said that all retailers are out to make as much money as possible (I haven't told her that I was formerly a retailer too). They are greedy and horrible people. And it is all the same throughout the world.

I asked her whether her country-men/women share the same view. She yelled "YES!" in the plane and asked her fellow passenger country-men/women's agreement. It was a resounding "YES" and it sparked off a major political and ethical debate amongst the cabin passengers.

They really believe that customer is right. If they don't get what they want, they mentioned that they will exercise their rights (a male passenger flexed his muscles amidst crude laughter from the cabin).

I have never sat in a plane that the captain told the passengers to quiet down.

Well, she's here in Singapore today. She definitely looks forward to go shopping. I'm just cringing in anticipation.

For retailers, these buyers forget one thing: I can refuse to sell it to you. The reason the whole plane of people agreed is because they are not capitalist nor have they seen nor understand economics, except those who have travelled more and/or live in big cities.

They feel that retailers wants to maximize profit; that is true to a large extent for any business. However, when there is competition, and middleman and retailers are caught in the middle, that is not possible. Remember that they don't understand micro econ 101 at all. Frankly, with their nationalistic pride, etc, they never will.

Default ....are we that good to discount ourselves?

Hiee All.....

I just feel that this news is one of those "okay lets make contraversy and make more money!! this weekend " type of news.....

I have seen as equally bad or even worst behaviors of our local people when they step out of the airplane in foreign land.....china especially - they change their behaviour mode....

Seen enough......

All i can say is .....we should look at ourselves first.....well....look at our size(population)
    going to a large size country - obviously one person's misbehaviour wouldn't look that bad....it just happened that these people come in large number into already a smaller place (as compared to theirs).....obviously they would be easily singled out...

mirror..mirror on the wall.....who is the greatest of them all....?

rgds,
    sulhan

The Genting incident is however debatable. I can't believe they operated so many years drawing pigs on the key docket to differentiate the visitors. Its a diplomatic fuse waiting to be lighted.

There are ugly people all around us, regardless whether they are PRC Chinese, S'poreans etc. I have PRC friends in S'pore commenting that the ugly S'poreans are on par with their counterparts in China. Similar for other countries. A few isolated cases do not generally sterotype the population. Even in the US and UK, there are ugly people as well. Sad but true, there's an ugly side to everyone of us, at some moment of time. So what's the argument?

Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    On the whole, PRC tourists and students are fine. I was formerly a retailer, and I definitely have my fair share of meeting them.

I guess, they just press their luck a bit too hard and offend local retailers. I guess it is their culture.

I just came back from Shanghai today. Let me tell you about them...

When I was in Shanghai, I was told by my Shanghai curator to adopt "their" way of bargaining to get really good deals. I resisted that thought. So, I went shopping and bought a gift worth RM500. She, trying to make a point, bought the same thing (after a long and heated arguement with the retailer there) at RM200.

She shoved the gift to me when we boarded the plane back to Singapore, she smirked and said that I definitely have to learn to bargain like they do.

Great, now I got two of the same thing.

I told her that I come from Singapore (and a non-representative Singaporean) and I don't really bargain. She was furious.

She said that all retailers are out to make as much money as possible (I haven't told her that I was formerly a retailer too). They are greedy and horrible people. And it is all the same throughout the world.

I asked her whether her country-men/women share the same view. She yelled "YES!" in the plane and asked her fellow passenger country-men/women's agreement. It was a resounding "YES" and it sparked off a major political and ethical debate amongst the cabin passengers.

They really believe that customer is right. If they don't get what they want, they mentioned that they will exercise their rights (a male passenger flexed his muscles amidst crude laughter from the cabin).

I have never sat in a plane that the captain told the passengers to quiet down.

Well, she's here in Singapore today. She definitely looks forward to go shopping. I'm just cringing in anticipation.
    Basic rule of business law: An Invitation to Treat does not constitute a transaction between 2 parties.

But of course, this will probably spark off heated debate to people who don't understand this basic principle of business law.

Vincent: All the best to you. Please extend my condolences to... whoever's accompanying them (including you).

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    The Genting incident is however debatable. I can't believe they operated so many years drawing pigs on the key docket to differentiate the visitors. Its a diplomatic fuse waiting to be lighted.
    I had a good laugh when I read about the pig drawing on the keychain... seems pretty stupid, they could have easily put a H (for Halal), much easier to do and less chance of misunderstanding

I think the pig picture is way off board personally as well, no one will react well to that. Ifind that it is totally insensitive method of handling the food issue.

If I were to put myself in thier shoes, I would definately be insulted as well, eventhough it might have been a real mistake.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    I think the pig picture is way off board personally as well, no one will react well to that. Ifind that it is totally insensitive method of handling the food issue.

If I were to put myself in thier shoes, I would definately be insulted as well, eventhough it might have been a real mistake.
    Not to mention that its MALAYSIA where something like a pig drawing would be a very sensitive issue!

I had a good laugh when I read about the pig drawing on the keychain... seems pretty stupid, they could have easily put a H (for Halal), much easier to do and less chance of misunderstanding
    We all know that's not exactly the reason. Even the simplest pig drawing which made up of circles that we drew during our childhood time takes some effort. Its a bait for trouble. As for CX I think its about time they learn to deal with their customers.

Instead of us starting to brand them negatively, we should see it in the light of acceptance. This could be their way they show their displeasure which may not be acceptable by our standards. Like some had pointed out as China is openning up, you see the change in their culture. I myself had experienced such changes. Shanghai now is such a great diffence as compared to what it was when I first visited it in 97. No, you dun see public spitting now. You dun even get to see many chinese clearing their throat in the public. All happened in just a short span of less than 10 years.

Whether you are in retail or service industry. I am sorry to say that you dun get to choose your customer, its the customer who chooses you. If you need to bow to a big customer, I am afraid that you might need to do just that. Its more about having a satisfied customer more than personal dignity. Sad to say as an employee its hard for an individual to see it that way.

Not to mention that its MALAYSIA where something like a pig drawing would be a very sensitive issue!
    I agree... Thats why i dun buy their story of halal....... all BS.... sad fact is that we will never know the truth....

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    I agree... Thats why i dun buy their story of halal....... all BS.... sad fact is that we will never know the truth....
    me too,
    draw pig...
    I had been there at least 1 per yr. never see a pig drawing.
    May be I never stay @ first hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    me too,
    draw pig...
    I had been there at least 1 per yr. never see a pig drawing.
    May be I never stay @ first hotel.
    i just visited Genting 2 weeks ago. Stayed in First World Hotel for 3D2N.

Never I seen any pig drawings.

May be they drew on themselves....and made a big fuss out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    i just visited Genting 2 weeks ago. Stayed in First World Hotel for 3D2N.

Never I seen any pig drawings.

May be they drew on themselves....and made a big fuss out of it.

Exactly, I was there during June Holidays with my parents. Nothing at all.

Sorry, so far, I dun have any good impression of China nationals

i dun see the fuss. my singaporean schooolmates some also quite rude mah. i think everywhere u go got the good and got the bad one.

Until now, I only realised CSers is not just brilliant at judging photos/equipments but nationalities as well.

I am really not smart...only know Nikoon, Canoon and Hassy
    Last edited by Benign; 1st August 2005 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast