Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

  1. #1

    Default Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    I am just amazed how pathetic some people really are.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437221

    Are they so used to their maids doing things for them that they cannot even register their own bloody names? TS is so nice to set aside his personal time to impart his knowledge to aspiring photographers, yet they cannot even do a few simple clicks of the mouse to register. I am glad TS decided to cancel the shoot. No point spoon feeding people who can't help themselves.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Btw, I do not know TS personally. But watching how the thread developed really irritated the hell out of me, and because of a few pathetic people, some sincere beginners will be deprived of a chance to learn from an experienced photographer.

    Ok rant over. Back to your regular scheduled programs.....

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Wow, just notice this happen, spoonfeed to the max.....

    Unable to follow simple instruction, what can ones understand and learn the photography? Which is so much complex and life long too learn?

    Agree with Kit,

    Don't waste time on wrong people.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Sometimes, why do we bother so much?

    organize outing, people don't follow instructions, then after kenna complain this and that... Which is why so many folks decided not to share anymore...

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    BTW, noticed all the people that signed up are super new members... I wonder...

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    BTW, noticed all the people that signed up are super new members... I wonder...
    Trolling?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    I hope #14 will come soon, I will join for sure.
    EOS

  8. #8
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I hope #14 will come soon, I will join for sure.
    Me too... if wife and daughter permit.

    I'll be sure to put my name on the list and follow the instructions.

    Please don't let it get to you. There are many ways to irritate good folks into cancelling whatever activity they did out of goodwill.

    Wanna example? "Can you send me an SMS to remind me there's badminton session the day before the event?"
    Last edited by Foxshade; 21st August 2014 at 12:02 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  9. #9

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    BTW, noticed all the people that signed up are super new members... I wonder...
    yah, i noticed too.
    Objection !!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    I feel that it is a pity that the shoot was cancelled. looking at the previous shoot #12, the first three participants also did not add their names directly to the list, and were added by Kit. the subsequent ones added themselves to the list. perhaps the instructions were not clear enough in the original post, for the newbie/super newbie to put their names directly into the list? perhaps they thought that there was some selection process of participants by Kit? (which was addressed by Kit in a subsequent post in the thread) all the same, I can understand Kit's frustration that subsequent instructions in the thread were not read and followed. To me it could be a case of mis-communication coupled with laziness/spoonfeeding. Hopefully these problems will be ironed out in future shoots as CSers (newbies or otherwise) will benefit much from Kit's generosity and expertise in organizing and guiding these photo shoot outings.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  11. #11
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    May be newbies not familiar with the forum post editing facility?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    It's a shame the shoot has been cancelled. It's a commendable effort to do an outing for free and and at one's own time and effort.

    But I do need to add in. I was curious and decided to read the link by Ellesar. I have to say it caught me totally by surprise. The initial details sounded very nice and everything was going fine. But if you read the first post carefully, there was no mention at all that participants have to put down the names themselves. In fact, the first few did not do it and the organizer did it for them without reminding others they have to DIY. It was only in a later post that he mentioned to DIY. Then it took just one more participant who didn't do it (I believe totally unintentional) and suddenly, the organizer blew up and cancelled the whole thing. That was really drastic.

    Therefore, I don't see any basis to call the interested participants lazy and being spoonfed. The instructions were not properly laid out. The last person could have read the first post, scrolled quickly to the bottom and signed up. How was he spoilt or wanted to be spoonfed?

    I know how tough it can be to organize something for free. I have done a large scale group together (non-photography) involving more than 100 people. It was totally unpaid. But one must accept screw ups can and will happen. You may meet some difficult people (hopefully not too many) or people who don't follow instructions carefully but based on their actions, I can vouch most of the time, it was unintentional.

    I feel if one wants to be magnanimous to organize something for free, then the organizer has to really be positive looking, able to take stress, decisive and let go when things turn out a bit unexpected. It's certainly not easy. But if you have limited patience/tolerance, or short fuse/temper, then I think it's better not to do such free outings. Cos while you wish to share your expertise, the quick-to-anger part of you will want to bite quickly whenever you detect someone trying to take advantage of you, even if it is unintentional.

    Certainly, the architectural photo-outing incident is not due to people wanting to be spoonfed. Just my 2 cents.

    And btw, don't blatantly label Singaporeans as lazy just because of this. How do you know they are Singaporeans? Even if they are, like I said, I feel it's more of lack of proper communication and the organizer blowing up unexpectedly.

  13. #13
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Goodness! And here I was about to put my name down. Seriously some people seem to have a problem reading and understanding SIMPLE instructions. I agree that Kit is devoting his PERSONAL time to do something for FREE. Yet there are clowns out there who just can't do a simple thing for themselves.

  14. #14
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    But if you read the first post carefully, there was no mention at all that participants have to put down the names themselves.
    You mean having this is not obvious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Participants
    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)

    Reserves
    1)
    2)
    Or would you take it to mean that Kit prefers listing down the limit on participants that way instead of just stating "This outing will be capped to 6 participants"?

    Well, my take on it is that it was pretty obvious. I hope we do not have to state the obvious these days. Certainly most functioning adults who read the first post would be able to deduce quickly that you're supposed to add your name to the list?

    In any case, I'm sure anyone who has dealt in B&S will have their fair share of frustration here and there. I've gotten people asking to reserve a battery grip which they can't use. They couldn't even be bothered to check if it was the right one for their camera model. After asking to deal and repeatedly delaying on dealing for close to one week (yes there were other interested buyers) they then realize it out of the blue and cancel last minute. There are many other examples out there.

    Don't think it's just wanting to be spoonfed - that seems to be the wrong conclusion. It's more an issue of people not having the patience to sit down and read things carefully. This is going to be an issue in the long run, I feel. If communication can only occur SMS style, where most don't read beyond the length of what, 160 characters (or was it 140), how can Singapore as a society expect to discuss anything seriously?
    Last edited by edutilos-; 21st August 2014 at 03:31 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    It's a shame the shoot has been cancelled. It's a commendable effort to do an outing for free and and at one's own time and effort.

    But I do need to add in. I was curious and decided to read the link by Ellesar. I have to say it caught me totally by surprise. The initial details sounded very nice and everything was going fine. But if you read the first post carefully, there was no mention at all that participants have to put down the names themselves. In fact, the first few did not do it and the organizer did it for them without reminding others they have to DIY. It was only in a later post that he mentioned to DIY. Then it took just one more participant who didn't do it (I believe totally unintentional) and suddenly, the organizer blew up and cancelled the whole thing. That was really drastic.

    Therefore, I don't see any basis to call the interested participants lazy and being spoonfed. The instructions were not properly laid out. The last person could have read the first post, scrolled quickly to the bottom and signed up. How was he spoilt or wanted to be spoonfed?

    I know how tough it can be to organize something for free. I have done a large scale group together (non-photography) involving more than 100 people. It was totally unpaid. But one must accept screw ups can and will happen. You may meet some difficult people (hopefully not too many) or people who don't follow instructions carefully but based on their actions, I can vouch most of the time, it was unintentional.

    I feel if one wants to be magnanimous to organize something for free, then the organizer has to really be positive looking, able to take stress, decisive and let go when things turn out a bit unexpected. It's certainly not easy. But if you have limited patience/tolerance, or short fuse/temper, then I think it's better not to do such free outings. Cos while you wish to share your expertise, the quick-to-anger part of you will want to bite quickly whenever you detect someone trying to take advantage of you, even if it is unintentional.

    Certainly, the architectural photo-outing incident is not due to people wanting to be spoonfed. Just my 2 cents.

    And btw, don't blatantly label Singaporeans as lazy just because of this. How do you know they are Singaporeans? Even if they are, like I said, I feel it's more of lack of proper communication and the organizer blowing up unexpectedly.
    Actually Kit already mentioned yesterday. And those who kept posting might have not read the last few posts. So I feel it isn't so much laziness but a cannot be bothered to read attitude. And no it might not be Singaporeans but from my past dealings a number of Singaporeans seem to have problems with comprehension. Just saying.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    ppl don't read. even for emails. spoonfeed them instruction/guide/infos but still can call and ask u

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Goodness! And here I was about to put my name down. Seriously some people seem to have a problem reading and understanding SIMPLE instructions. I agree that Kit is devoting his PERSONAL time to do something for FREE. Yet there are clowns out there who just can't do a simple thing for themselves.

  17. #17
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Errz View Post
    ppl don't read. even for emails. spoonfeed them instruction/guide/infos but still can call and ask u
    Yes! Exactly!!!

  18. #18
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    I feel that it is a pity that the shoot was cancelled. looking at the previous shoot #12, the first three participants also did not add their names directly to the list, and were added by Kit. the subsequent ones added themselves to the list. perhaps the instructions were not clear enough in the original post, for the newbie/super newbie to put their names directly into the list? perhaps they thought that there was some selection process of participants by Kit? (which was addressed by Kit in a subsequent post in the thread) all the same, I can understand Kit's frustration that subsequent instructions in the thread were not read and followed. To me it could be a case of mis-communication coupled with laziness/spoonfeeding. Hopefully these problems will be ironed out in future shoots as CSers (newbies or otherwise) will benefit much from Kit's generosity and expertise in organizing and guiding these photo shoot outings.
    Giving people the benefit of doubt, I thought i'd come in to specifically tell the subsequent interested parties to copy and paste the sign up list and adding their own name. I was shocked to see another person doing the same.

    I'm not sure if its exactly taking things for granted, but i do believe even in the absence of clear specific instruction, most people will take the trouble to put their names there just because they would not want to miss out on it or it is simply just something we should be doing ourselves than to trouble someone else to do something we can perfectly do ourselves.

  19. #19
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    It's a shame the shoot has been cancelled. It's a commendable effort to do an outing for free and and at one's own time and effort.

    But I do need to add in. I was curious and decided to read the link by Ellesar. I have to say it caught me totally by surprise. The initial details sounded very nice and everything was going fine. But if you read the first post carefully, there was no mention at all that participants have to put down the names themselves. In fact, the first few did not do it and the organizer did it for them without reminding others they have to DIY. It was only in a later post that he mentioned to DIY. Then it took just one more participant who didn't do it (I believe totally unintentional) and suddenly, the organizer blew up and cancelled the whole thing. That was really drastic.

    Therefore, I don't see any basis to call the interested participants lazy and being spoonfed. The instructions were not properly laid out. The last person could have read the first post, scrolled quickly to the bottom and signed up. How was he spoilt or wanted to be spoonfed?

    I know how tough it can be to organize something for free. I have done a large scale group together (non-photography) involving more than 100 people. It was totally unpaid. But one must accept screw ups can and will happen. You may meet some difficult people (hopefully not too many) or people who don't follow instructions carefully but based on their actions, I can vouch most of the time, it was unintentional.

    I feel if one wants to be magnanimous to organize something for free, then the organizer has to really be positive looking, able to take stress, decisive and let go when things turn out a bit unexpected. It's certainly not easy. But if you have limited patience/tolerance, or short fuse/temper, then I think it's better not to do such free outings. Cos while you wish to share your expertise, the quick-to-anger part of you will want to bite quickly whenever you detect someone trying to take advantage of you, even if it is unintentional.

    Certainly, the architectural photo-outing incident is not due to people wanting to be spoonfed. Just my 2 cents.

    And btw, don't blatantly label Singaporeans as lazy just because of this. How do you know they are Singaporeans? Even if they are, like I said, I feel it's more of lack of proper communication and the organizer blowing up unexpectedly.
    I'm afraid i disagree with you on this. Personally, I would put down my name. I've joined outings and talks when i first joined CS. My first thought before i check out the instructions was the thought of putting my name down first. Granted people may not be as kiasu as me, but i don't think I would ask someone else to put my name down even if i were any less kiasu. I see a sign up list i will just think of putting my name, if i am interested. I want it, i sign up, even if need approval nevermind, i sign first. You will be surprised lor. If you state an item is sold on B&S, you will still continue to get people asking you "is your _______ lens still available?". And its not just a couple of people asking.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 21st August 2014 at 05:35 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Are Singaporeans really that lazy? (Cancelled photoshoot)

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    I'm afraid i disagree with you on this. Personally, I would put down my name. I've joined outings and talks when i first joined CS. My first thought before i check out the instructions was the thought of putting my name down first. Granted people may not be as kiasu as me, but i don't think I would ask someone else to put my name down even if i were any less kiasu. I see a sign up list i will just think of putting my name, if i am interested. I want it, i sign up, even if need approval nevermind, i sign first. You will be surprised lor. If you state an item is sold on B&S, you will still continue to get people asking you "is your _______ lens still available?". And its not just a couple of people asking.
    unfortunately my fellow cat nitewalk is correct.

    not that i am ngeow...but a lot of people do not like to spend the effort to read instructions (eg, starting with Camera Manual)...

    The annoying thing is that for a 'teaching/tutorial outing' thread that Kit has so generously volunteered to conduct himself at his time, energy and expense, participants who wanted to sign up are unwilling or unable to follow instructions, how to be teachable ?

    I suppose only by charging a fee would make these people sit up and pay attention
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •