Thread: Lighting for videography

Default Lighting for videography

Hi there,

I'm new to videography.. As I'm a guitarist who wishes to video my friends and I, what kind of lighting do I need to achieve the same, clear; bright lighting effects as the video covers from famous YouTubers (Boyce Avenue, Tyler Ward etc.)? Do I need an expensive set-up?

By the way, my room lighting is orange in color, so I definitely need good white lighting.. And I own a normal entry-level DSLR 650D.

I've also came across a few lighting equipment from the marketplace. There is this kind which is like disco light (which emitting white light) but comes in 3s and the other which is wider, big and with light tubes. Which one is preferable? Do I need multiples of them?

Thank you guys
    Appreciated!
    Like an army, falling, one by one by one.

Default Re: Lighting for videography

for this video, the main light is from the singer's left, soft lighting.

and there is a kicker light, or accent light from the singer's right and slightly far back, slightly harder.

you also can tell how the lighting set up from observe how the highlight and shadow fall the pillar behind the singer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

It is not complicated, you can search for many video lighting set up tutorials in Youtube.

Here is one for you;

btw, you can skip the set up the head/hair light, unless you are posing against dark background.

and also, it is fine to use existing ambient light for budget constrain and convenience, as long it is bright enough, and you don't have to shoot in very high ISO,
    set custom White Balance is a MUST for whatever lightings you use.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    It is not complicated, you can search for many video lighting set up tutorials in Youtube.

Here is one for you;

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUqBJoxZ-I

btw, you can skip the set up the head/hair light, unless you are posing against dark background.

and also, it is fine to use existing ambient light for budget constrain and convenience, as long it is bright enough, and you don't have to shoot in very high ISO,
    set custom White Balance is a MUST for whatever lightings you use.
    Hi there

Thanks for replying! I have studied the video, and I've got a few clarifications.

The guy there is using a lighting source similar to the 6 Bank Fluorescent 2 ft Light? How is it different from lighting sources similar to 650w fresnel light kit? For my understanding the 2 ft Light can cover a wider area and the fresnel light kit can cover as well but on a certain part of the subject so if I'm filming a far overview of the subject isn't the light balance going to be weird because the source of the light ray can be seen?

Also, what kind of cheap lighting equipment would you recommend?

Thank you ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Irisviel View Post
    Hi there

Thanks for replying! I have studied the video, and I've got a few clarifications.

The guy there is using a lighting source similar to the 6 Bank Fluorescent 2 ft Light? How is it different from lighting sources similar to 650w fresnel light kit? For my understanding the 2 ft Light can cover a wider area and the fresnel light kit can cover as well but on a certain part of the subject so if I'm filming a far overview of the subject isn't the light balance going to be weird because the source of the light ray can be seen?

Also, what kind of cheap lighting equipment would you recommend?

Thank you ☺
    FYI, 650w fresnel light kits don't come cheap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_3_Light.html

keep it simple,

Watch this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo7W...3t2JV2BVb3vMhw

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    FYI, 650w fresnel light kits don't come cheap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_3_Light.html

keep it simple,

Watch this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo7W...3t2JV2BVb3vMhw
    Hey there

Thanks for the video but I saw someone selling fresnel for 500 second hand! That's almost around my budget.. what are the recommendation you can provide me?

Thank you and sorry for the questions!! ☺

Hey there
    Thanks for the video but I saw someone selling fresnel for 500 second hand! That's almost around my budget.. what are the recommendation you can provide me?
    Have you seen the video? What specific questions do you have, considering the examples you have seen and your own intentions?
    One recommendation was already: keep it simple. That's so simple that many people forget it. Don't focus on brands of equipment. See that you achieve what you have in mind.
    EOS

Hey there

if you want to get the fresnel light kit, make sure you have a very big shooting area and with powerful air condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Have you seen the video? What specific questions do you have, considering the examples you have seen and your own intentions?
    One recommendation was already: keep it simple. That's so simple that many people forget it. Don't focus on brands of equipment. See that you achieve what you have in mind.
    Hi there
    This is my room

Name:  ForumRunner_20140819_081717.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  41.7 KB

And I supposed I'm getting 2 light sources and reflective equipment??