Thread: Newbie question on dry cabinet

Question Newbie question on dry cabinet

Hi, bought my first dslr earlier this month and bought the dry cabinet last weekend. I would like to check on the RH setting. I am using digi-cabi 30L analog control dry cabinet. Current display show 44%, at night when I on the air con it will drop to 40%. At day time it may increase to above 42-44%. Just want to check if it is ok on the setting? Or shd I reduce the power slightly?

Quote Originally Posted by ST4Ever View Post
    Hi, bought my first dslr earlier this month and bought the dry cabinet last weekend. I would like to check on the RH setting. I am using digi-cabi 30L analog control dry cabinet. Current display show 44%, at night when I on the air con it will drop to 40%. At day time it may increase to above 42-44%. Just want to check if it is ok on the setting? Or shd I reduce the power slightly?
    nothing wrg with that. turn it lower is fine as well. do note That the figure shown is always a +/- 5%

Default Re: Newbie question on dry cabinet

Target RH is 30-50% RH. Some variation is fine, there is no need to get nervous about fluctuations in a day. Fungus needs weeks in high RH conditions to develop.
    You dry cabinet is not airtight. When you turn on the aircon, the drier air from outside goes into the dry cabinet.
    I suggest you lower the settings on your aircon. Sleeping at 40%RH or lower is not healthy.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Quek View Post
    nothing wrg with that. turn it lower is fine as well. do note That the figure shown is always a +/- 5%
    thanks for the help..

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Target RH is 30-50% RH. Some variation is fine, there is no need to get nervous about fluctuations in a day. Fungus needs weeks in high RH conditions to develop.
    You dry cabinet is not airtight. When you turn on the aircon, the drier air from outside goes into the dry cabinet.
    I suggest you lower the settings on your aircon. Sleeping at 40%RH or lower is not healthy.
    thank you. I will look into the air con part..

thanks for the help..

thank you. I will look into the air con part..
    Don't worry so much about your camera gears, all these replaceable, but human beings are not.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Please note that not all hygrometers are accurate. To be sure, do a simple salt test.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Don't worry so much about your camera gears, all these replaceable, but human beings are not.
    very true on what you said.. thanks for your assurance.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Please note that not all hygrometers are accurate. To be sure, do a simple salt test.
    i hv addiTIonal hygrometer in place. in fact 2 in each cabi i hv, so far is -5 difference

i hv addiTIonal hygrometer in place. in fact 2 in each cabi i hv, so far is -5 difference
    If both are off then it won't help you at all. Do the salt test to gauge how far they are off from the real figure.
    EOS

If both are off then it won't help you at all. Do the salt test to gauge how far they are off from the real figure.
    noted with thanks.

actually the 2 external hygro are same value, just that it is 5% off frm the digi cabi hygro

actually the 2 external hygro are same value, just that it is 5% off frm the digi cabi hygro
    anyway will test the 2 external hygro cos the inbuilt cant be taken out.

any reasonable recommendation for additional hygrometers?

any reasonable recommendation for additional hygrometers?
    Sim Lim Tower shops have plenty of models, accurate enough for home usage. Cost between $23 and $40. Salt test was already mentioned.
    If you want scientific accuracy you need to check other shops and increase your budget.
    My Maths teacher always reminded us on "appropriate / reasonable accuracy"...
    EOS

Sim Lim Tower shops have plenty of models, accurate enough for home usage. Cost between $23 and $40. Salt test was already mentioned.
    If you want scientific accuracy you need to check other shops and increase your budget.
    My Maths teacher always reminded us on "appropriate / reasonable accuracy"...
    thank you.. as I am looking at Qoo10.sg sales.. will go SLT for a walk then.

frankly I'd recommend you shoot more. light kills fungus.
    and you could possibly become a better photographer too
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    frankly I'd recommend you shoot more. light kills fungus.
    and you could possibly become a better photographer too
    Yes, I will so as to practise all those theory as well. Once i get well from this flu bugs

can sun kill fungus ?

Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    can sun kill fungus ?
    UV rays will stop the growth of fungus. But it will not remove any existing threads / cobweb structures that have been developed.
    Secondly, due to the coating of lens elements the UV rays will not get to all elements inside the lens.
    So best is to avoid any fungus growth or get the lens cleaned if there is any.
    EOS