Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is downloading legal??

Originally posted by cheechee
    Well, anyway, as a student without much moola $$$, i tried my best to support originals, including getting those VCD and music cds. Softwares? Well, no WAY! Unless those small software makers that requires small sum contribution. I did email money order to WINAMP, Listmaker, etc. This is to support them.
    As for those big guys like microsoft,etc. err.. dun think so.

Just imagine, if u buy every softwares u r using now on ur pc/mac, it will be even more expensive than the pc/mac u r using. This is also the main reason why majority japanese University students aint PC literate, although Japan is so high tech. In japan, if u buy a pc, it is super expensive. Why? Becoz u need to purchase all ur original softwares that comes with ur pc.(Ever wonder why a search on Japan babes contact lists in ICQ return with such little search results?)

Anyone can proudly proclaim the phrase "I am clean!!!"?

If u really could, WOW.
    In a way, you can be "clean".

1. Buy original OS. Win XP Home or Win 98 isn't THAT expensive (hey, even your digicam costs more)

2. Totally use freeware/shareware, pay the shareware fee. Which means use things like StarOffice instead of MS Office, PaintShop Pro instead of PhotoShop, etc.

#2 is a bit harder to do, but it should be quite possible. The hard part is getting people to tell you how to do certain things.

Then of coz, there's another option: Run Linux. Almost everything on it is freeware, public domain, open source, etc. There's even a Photoshop equivalent called The GIMP.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by cheechee

Haha.. actually i copied it from Men In Black II, the scene where the 2 face guy first met the evil girl in his kitchen. This is sticked on the fridge.
    You noticed it in the movies?
    Hehe... took me 2-3 replay to really get the exact slogan. Hehehe
    Did not watch that movie. Gave it a miss. You got patience aye??

Originally posted by NitroTech

Did not watch that movie. Gave it a miss. You got patience aye??
    hehe.. u should have watch it.. Damn funny movie.
    Patience eye? nolar.. Juz need vcd and replay it on the spot.. haha

I agree with Ckiang, You can be clean if you really WANT to.
    Expensive or cheap is a mindset. You determine whether it is worth it. As well as your willingness to pay for something that others had put in effort to create.

Again, how much they price their creation...is another mindset by itself.

I limit my view on Softwares which are useful for this age, as the music/movie industry are entertainment inclined, not really needed if you choose not to spend on it.

What I'm using:-
    The OS part, almost every PC comes with it (unless you DIY, can afford hardware, but can't afford the OS?). Been using win98 that comes with my notebook.

As for word-processing/spreadsheet, I'm using openoffice on my notebook computer.
    As for photo editing, I have photoshop elements that comes with my Oly camera.

Email program - free

Bible-study software - www.e-sword.net

Palm software - got action name/arranger original even though paying US$40++ for these two simple sw can be 'expensive' to some.

I do not need 'wow, he's clean' comment. Just sharing it is possible.

Originally posted by ckiang

In a way, you can be "clean".

1. Buy original OS. Win XP Home or Win 98 isn't THAT expensive (hey, even your digicam costs more)

2. Totally use freeware/shareware, pay the shareware fee. Which means use things like StarOffice instead of MS Office, PaintShop Pro instead of PhotoShop, etc.

#2 is a bit harder to do, but it should be quite possible. The hard part is getting people to tell you how to do certain things.

Then of coz, there's another option: Run Linux. Almost everything on it is freeware, public domain, open source, etc. There's even a Photoshop equivalent called The GIMP.

Regards
    CK

Kit, Richard was taking about academic license. You know, sometime if you go Funan to buy a software, there are 3 kinds of licenses. Individual, coperate and academic. To buy the academic(which is normally hell lot of cheaper), you need to produce your student pass.

Originally posted by Kit

I'm not talking about academic licenses. Of course, the uni is licensed to use the software. However, computer ratio to students is 3 zillion to 1, not considering technical failures(frequent) which will widen the gap. One simply cannot rely too much on school machines. Much better to secure a copy ourselves.

Exorbitant prices is being used to justify piracy, sad but true. Not without good reasons too.

Originally posted by ninelives
    Kit, Richard was taking about academic license. You know, sometime if you go Funan to buy a software, there are 3 kinds of licenses. Individual, coperate and academic. To buy the academic(which is normally hell lot of cheaper), you need to produce your student pass.
    Thanks for the info but I don't think they'll recognise an Australian student pass right? I'm still waiting for the Australian distributor to hold another sale on software again though.

Like I said, academic license means little to me when the Uni tech services can't fulfill the demands of students.

I bought MSOffice 2000 (Professional) at S$297. Good deal. It was offered to staff of the now defunct OUB staff. My sis-in-law bought 2 copies, one for me and the other one for herself.

Still using it and see no reason to upgrade to MSOffice XP.

Originally posted by ninelives
    Which reminds me, if the software company can offer such ridiculously low prices to students, they should offer these kind of prices to the general public, and a little more discount for the students right?

If you look at the academic pricing, it's very affordable. You can get WinXP Pro Upgrade for < $200 at Challenger.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Which reminds me, if the software company can offer such ridiculously low prices to students, they should offer these kind of prices to the general public, and a little more discount for the students right?

If you look at the academic pricing, it's very affordable. You can get WinXP Pro Upgrade for < $200 at Challenger.

Regards
    CK
    I'm not sure about Singapore but here, there are restrictions on student deals. You can't use the software anymore once you graduate. Also, for academic softwares, you can only get what's relevant to your field of study. For me, I can only get the architectural version of 3D Studio Max and Autocad, which is 3D Studio Vidz and Architectural Desktop respectively.

You won't be able to get student price on softwares that isn't relevant to your field of study like you can't get 3D Studio softwares even if you're interested in modelling as a hobby. Its only available to design based students.

Originally posted by Kit

I'm not sure about Singapore but here, there are restrictions on student deals. You can't use the software anymore once you graduate. Also, for academic softwares, you can only get what's relevant to your field of study. For me, I can only get the architectural version of 3D Studio Max and Autocad, which is 3D Studio Vidz and Architectural Desktop respectively.

You won't be able to get student price on softwares that isn't relevant to your field of study like you can't get 3D Studio softwares even if you're interested in modelling as a hobby. Its only available to design based students.
    Not too sure about the restrictions here, but don't think it's tied to your field of study. The shops just check student pass. Now, I wonder if it's legal to get your friend/relative/etc's who is a student to get on your behalf.....

Regards
    CK

Only way to find is read the license conditions..

I'm thinking is autocad is expensive is it because company uses it for commerical are limited compare to let say MS office?

any business student/grad here did a study on the pricing issue can enlighten us?

Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Only way to find is read the license conditions..

I'm thinking is autocad is expensive is it because company uses it for commerical are limited compare to let say MS office?

any business student/grad here did a study on the pricing issue can enlighten us?
    What sort of pricing issues are you talking about? I can give some insights here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12