Thread: Lens cleaning

Question Lens cleaning

Hi, just a simple question. I recently noticed dust particles on the len. The part where it is covered by the lens cover. So, my question is, can I clean it with any non-lint colth, more specifically the one used for spectacles or must I get a special lens colths? If the latter is the case, what brand and where can I get it? Thanks.

If it is just dust, blow it away with a blower/blower-brush. You get these for a few dollars. As far as possible don't wipe the lens - unless there is some stubborn dirt. If you wipe hard it will remove the lens coating and could scratch the lens.

Like sriram said, just use a blower to get rid of the dust. That being said, a few specks of dust isn't going to affect your final image.

That's one of the reasons why many ppl attach either a Skylight 1B or UV filter on their lens. Apart from the glare/flare/UV protection, these "neutral" filters also serve the function of protecting the actual lens' front element.

After the initial cleaning of the lens element and the reverse-side of the filter prior to screwing it on, you'll never (well almost never for ppl who don't play with filters) have to worry about dust on the element itself again! Any cleaning will be done on the filter rather than directly on the lens element itself.

Hmm, just curious, any idea what's the diff between a "high-end" blower and a normal $4-5 blower?

I remember somewhere on this forum, someone recommending a ~$20 blower that is better.

Originally posted by Acieed
    Hmm, just curious, any idea what's the diff between a "high-end" blower and a normal $4-5 blower?

I remember somewhere on this forum, someone recommending a ~$20 blower that is better.
    A $20 blower?? That must be one helluva blower!!! Yes, you're better off with the better ones. Small puny ones are a waste of time. They can't get nothing off the lens.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe blower should do the trick since there is only a thin layer of dust on the lens element.

Originally posted by Kit

A $20 blower?? That must be one helluva blower!!! Yes, you're better off with the better ones. Small puny ones are a waste of time. They can't get nothing off the lens.
    heheee... my blower cost me 15... i think it's not depends on the price, it's depends on when u use it, u feel how long the blower can last if u keep using it, and the wind is strong enough to blow away the dust or not...